Secular spiritualism.

Guest LucaAltieri

• 2 weeks later...

Spot on, people get angry at stupid things, when in reality it is nothing. We are a tiny little dot in an endless nothing. It is our home, you wouldn't go over to a freinds and trash it so why the earth ? I'm not sure who said it but someone theorised that we would never find a intelligent life from would could travel to us because, once a race gets powerful enough they just kill each other.

Religions have done some good, but killing others off in the name of god is simply stupid. Killing someone else is stupid non-stop really, the sad point of it is that most major technologies come from armed forces research.

Luca could you define secular spiritualism for me I have an idea but I'm not sure if it is correct.

Guest LucaAltieri

I don't think anyone has ever gone to the trouble of giving it an exact definition but from my reading of Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris my interpretation is this:

Many people believe in a God or a higher power/force because they have experienced something spectacular. There are many awe-inspiring events. For me personally, it's thinking about how massive and beautifully bizarre the universe is. For other people it might be the effects of hallucinogenic drugs or locking themselves in a cave for 40 days. It might be that feeling you get when you look out over a landscape. There are many experiences that can have a profound effect on the way you feel or view the world.

These sorts of experiences often to get linked to a god or some other supernatural event. There are people who use certain kinds of drugs that believe it brings them closer to god. There are entire religions based around the principle in South America and it has enjoyed some more recently popularity in the first world thanks to the likes of Bill Hicks.

Many atheists and agnostics are dismissive of the importance of such things because of the religious overtones to it. Secular spiritualism is just a label to describe the ability to accept the importance of these experiences and profound effects they can have without making the illogical jump to "God musta dun it."

I may be reading them totally wrong but that's how I've always understood it.

wow =/= god

That and a general appreciation of the natural world.

Guest LucaAltieri

I've seen him gaze at this a couple of times. He's not interested. There's no one to argue with. This is a positive thread.

Natural beauty. Real world epics. The wonders of the universe unpoluted by dogma and the supernatural.

One of my personal favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

Quote by Carl Sagan. Video by some random youtuber.

Really puts things in perspective, the real trick is keeping it there. How many of us will still manage to get irate, or even angry, at some really trivial inconsequential thing before the day is over.

Should watch that every morning as a routine for promoting sanity.

:clap:

I don't think anyone has ever gone to the trouble of giving it an exact definition but from my reading of Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris my interpretation is this:

Many people believe in a God or a higher power/force because they have experienced something spectacular. There are many awe-inspiring events. For me personally, it's thinking about how massive and beautifully bizarre the universe is. For other people it might be the effects of hallucinogenic drugs or locking themselves in a cave for 40 days. It might be that feeling you get when you look out over a landscape. There are many experiences that can have a profound effect on the way you feel or view the world.

These sorts of experiences often to get linked to a god or some other supernatural event. There are people who use certain kinds of drugs that believe it brings them closer to god. There are entire religions based around the principle in South America and it has enjoyed some more recently popularity in the first world thanks to the likes of Bill Hicks.

Many atheists and agnostics are dismissive of the importance of such things because of the religious overtones to it. Secular spiritualism is just a label to describe the ability to accept the importance of these experiences and profound effects they can have without making the illogical jump to "God musta dun it."

I may be reading them totally wrong but that's how I've always understood it.

wow =/= god

That and a general appreciation of the natural world.

bizzarely it's that line of thought that makes me an atheist.

Guest LucaAltieri

They're just about as bad as the religious right.

This is discussed in countless other threads so I'd prefer to keep it out of this one.

Do a quick search, there are plenty of them on here. Each one conclusively showing that you are wrong.

Fuckin hell that VY Canis Majoris star thing is almost as big as Vidukas gut!

Epic scale, we are so insignificant.

we are and we aren't.

if i die tomorrow the whole entire universe ends.

Does that mean I have to postpone my assassination attempt?

we are and we aren't.

i knew i shouldn't have told her i'd upped my insurance.

we are and we aren't.

i knew i shouldn't have told her i'd upped my insurance.

What!?! She never told me!

Perhaps hiring that sniper rifle won't turn out to be such a waste of money.

This is discussed in countless other threads so I'd prefer to keep it out of this one.

Do a quick search, there are plenty of them on here. Each one conclusively showing that you are wrong.

Point made. Good one. Thanks.

Guest LucaAltieri

O0