New Stupidly fast intel processors from £230 ish. (i7)

Guest Lazlo

I've been looking for an upgrade for a while and i think these new processors are enough to make me splash out next year hopefully.

The stock i7-920 is clocked at 2.66Ghz but runs faster than a Q9770 extreme at stock speeds and is only around £230. Plus people are dropping the multipliers on them to 19x and increasing the Qpi (fsb), giving it stable clocks of around 4Ghz solely on air.

There is a i7-965 Extreme Edition which has a 3.2Ghz clock and unlocked multiplier for £750 ish.

The downside is a decent mobo is gonna cost £170 and they only run on ddr3, although the Asus p6t supports triple-channel memory and a 3Gb kit for 32bit o/s is only about £100.

Our lass will not be pleased but it should last a good while. I would expect prices of quad/duos to come down soon as well.  :clap2:

I've been looking for an upgrade for a while and i think these new processors are enough to make me splash out next year hopefully.

The stock i7-920 is clocked at 2.66Ghz but runs faster than a Q9770 extreme at stock speeds and is only around £230. Plus people are dropping the multipliers on them to 19x and increasing the Qpi (fsb), giving it stable clocks of around 4Ghz solely on air.

There is a i7-965 Extreme Edition which has a 3.2Ghz clock and unlocked multiplier for £750 ish.

The downside is a decent mobo is gonna cost £170 and they only run on ddr3, although the Asus p6t supports triple-channel memory and a 3Gb kit for 32bit o/s is only about £100.

Our lass will not be pleased but it should last a good while. I would expect prices of quad/duos to come down soon as well.  :clap2:

Heard they really aren't worth the upgrade so far.

In the benchies i've been reading they've said the games performance has been throttled by the gfx card (4870x2) with plenty of headroom left in the i7.

Hopefully the new amd quads will be good being of similar architecture, i'll wait until then before buying owt.

Really need to upgrade my processor, it's holding the rest of my system back - I've got an ASUS A8R MVP motherboard, dunno if that limits what I can put in it.  Never actually put a new processor in myself, is it pretty simple to do?

Well you have the old 939 socket, so you would be far better off getting a new mobo and cpu, as the 939 pins are the old amd tech. Though getting a new mobo means formatting your hard drive so its whether you can be arsed. As for fitting a new cpu its pretty piss, just match up the pins to the ones on the board and slot it in.

Actually bluey, if you wait until new year. I've got an fx-60 that i'm using now on my socket 939 that will need a new home when i upgrade. It's the quickest 939 processor you can get.