A few uneducated questions...

Guest jackmisfit

Guest jackmisfit

I've been reading this forum now for about two years and have never really posted before. I grew up near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and I’ve watched american football and hockey all my life. I didn't actually start following english football until the hockey lockout a few years ago. I know I don’t have a truly educated opinion, so please treat the following as questions…

Can the lack of success that Newcastle has had over the last decade be traced to their back office system? (from ownership to coaching to scouting, etc...)

Personally, I don't care who provides the financial backing to the teams that I support, as long as they hire the right people to actually run the team. I look at this club with an uneducated view and I really don't see any direction. Does this club need to refocus on what they’re trying to achieve? Shouldn’t a team of this magnitude have more stability? Would it make more sense to spend transfer money on building a talented core of mid priced, dependable players and to try to growing some young talent on the reserve squad that can be worked into the starting eleven in a few years?

Right now it seems that the team has a lot overpriced, injury prone players. It seems to me that the team should be rebuilt from the ground up and focus on the future of the club  instead of trying to win trophies immediately.

As a side question, what exactly are the reserves for? They seem to always be winning, but there is never a question of whether or not there is a player is ready to move up to the first team. Are our reserves that bad?

Thanks for listening to me.

pretty much hit the nail on the head. a great deal of people have been saying exactly the same things for a while now. we're all about 3 or 4 overpriced icons at the expense of the rest of the team, and all about chasing glamour whilst we neglect the less glitzy aspects of the club, like coaching the reserves, for instance. even selecting a good manager is beneath the self-appointed celebrities at the helm.

I've been reading this forum now for about two years and have never really posted before. I grew up near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and I’ve watched american football and hockey all my life. I didn't actually start following english football until the hockey lockout a few years ago. I know I don’t have a truly educated opinion, so please treat the following as questions…

Can the lack of success that Newcastle has had over the last decade be traced to their back office system? (from ownership to coaching to scouting, etc...)

Personally, I don't care who provides the financial backing to the teams that I support, as long as they hire the right people to actually run the team. I look at this club with an uneducated view and I really don't see any direction. Does this club need to refocus on what they’re trying to achieve? Shouldn’t a team of this magnitude have more stability? Would it make more sense to spend transfer money on building a talented core of mid priced, dependable players and to try to growing some young talent on the reserve squad that can be worked into the starting eleven in a few years?

Right now it seems that the team has a lot overpriced, injury prone players. It seems to me that the team should be rebuilt from the ground up and focus on the future of the club  instead of trying to win trophies immediately.

As a side question, what exactly are the reserves for? They seem to always be winning, but there is never a question of whether or not there is a player is ready to move up to the first team. Are our reserves that bad?

Thanks for listening to me.

Have you ever thought of a career in sport?  Chairman of Newcastle for example? :winking:

Whilst it can be of some benefit to see what went wrong in the past, I prefer to look forward with regard to what should be done now to take Newcastle forward.  What you've said can't be faulted imho, especially the belief that steady progression will undoubtedly bring more likelihood of success than hoping to win trophies immediately.

Guest jackmisfit

Thanks for the kind words. I half expected to get beat up for asking too obvious questions...

MJ, thanks for the job idea, but we can already see an example of what happens to a club when someone who doesn't know how to do the job correctly runs the show!!

Interestingly, we did have a strategy under Sir Bob, which was similar to the policy pursued by Spurs at the moment - Namely, buying and developing young talent whilst maintaining a core of experienced players in the first team.

It went with Sir Bob, and since then we've tried to buy expensive, ready-made players like Chelsea or Liverpool, only with nowhere near the resources to make it work.

Guest The Fox

The point is whether the current board and management are taking the club in the right direction. The obvious answer is NO.

I like you could not care less who finacially backs the club as long as it moves the club forward and brings success that can be maintained.

The all Geordie Board and Team on the pitch is a pipe dream of a few that will never happen.

Its true any new potential backers do not guarantee success but there must be  a fair chance that the current shortcomings and lack of quality from coaching to squad would be addressed.

Interestingly, we did have a strategy under Sir Bob, which was similar to the policy pursued by Spurs at the moment - Namely, buying and developing young talent whilst maintaining a core of experienced players in the first team.

It went with Sir Bob, and since then we've tried to buy expensive, ready-made players like Chelsea or Liverpool, only with nowhere near the resources to make it work.

good point. we got more in initial rewards than spurs because we had a better manager than they do now. but their policy has been more of a financial success, probably because of the backroom setup at spurs. where as we bought Ambrose, their scouting network managed to pick up aaron lennon, their DofF went for his first-choice player - michael carrick, while our chairman decided to go for a cheaper option in Nicky Butt. by far and away the best of our bunch now plays for Liverpool, while one of our only financial successes was Jenas - now spurs have him!

good point. we got more in initial rewards than spurs because we had a better manager than they do now. but their policy has been more of a financial success, probably because of the backroom setup at spurs. where as we bought Ambrose, their scouting network managed to pick up aaron lennon, their DofF went for his first-choice player - michael carrick, while our chairman decided to go for a cheaper option in Nicky Butt. by far and away the best of our bunch now plays for Liverpool, while one of our only financial successes was Jenas - now spurs have him!

Wouldn't argue with any of that, I'm not going to start claiming that MJ is on a par with SBR because he ain't!  But in Comolli we have the extra person to keep the impetus going and SBR didn't have anyone like him and Newcastle haven't even got close to appointing with his depth of knowledge.  Two articles from yesterday highlight the direction that Spurs are taking under Comolli's guidance:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=425702&CPID=8&clid=6&lid=2&title=Spurs+

Tottenham's sporting director Damien Comolli has assured fans that the club will never follow Arsenal's example of building a side around foreign players.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has named very few English players in the majority of his teams over the past few seasons, and at times there has not even been a single British player in the Arsenal starting XI.

However, Comolli has insisted that Martin Jol has no intention of steering Tottenham in the same direction, stressing that there will always be a core of home-grown players at White Hart Lane.

"We will never do what Arsenal have done," he stressed. "When I discussed with the board last year about coming they told me that the club's philosophy was built on English players and I agreed with them.

"What we have been trying to do has not changed. We always try to sign British players, the second option is foreign players within the Premiership and the third is looking abroad.

"But we won't say we won't buy someone because they are foreign as we need to bring in quality players.

"Martin (Jol) is right about having an English core. We lost only Michael Carrick in the summer (to Manchester United) but Tom Huddlestone is getting more involved this year as a result.

"Our policy now is to sign the right players. We are looking for top quality so the quantity will be less."

Tottenham were linked with Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing in the summer and some supporters have questioned why they did not manage to sign a left winger.

But Comolli said: "They have wondered why we haven't signed a left-winger but they are difficult to find. Of the teams who reached the last 16 of the World Cup there was only one left-winger.

"It is not something we should concentrate on. We have enough quality to compensate. It's not so much of a problem and they should not worry."

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/spurs/str011106.php

Spurs beat Europe's biggest to sign striker 

1st November 2006

By Staff Writer

Tottenham Hotspur have pulled off a major coup in snapping up one of Europe's brightest young prospects from right under the noses of some of Europe's biggest clubs.

Spurs have signed 17 year old Norwegian striker Alexander Olsen from Norwegian Third Division club SK Gjovik Lyn.

Gjovik chairman Arve Hansen confirmed to Eurosport that the deal had been done and that Spurs had beaten off interest from Chelsea and Barcelona with the transfer fee at around £80,000:

"The deal was done on Saturday, We received a fax from Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern Munich as well."

So far there has been no official confirmation of the signing from the club but it is presumed Olsen will join up with his new team in January.

With Olsen's signing (I mentioned that here a week or so ago), there are add-ons which could take the fee up to nearly £1.5m and if Spurs do pay hat much he will have been worth it.  If he flops, we've lost £80k, the same as Dyer's wages for a week.  It's not exactly rocket science to think Spurs are on the right track.  Maybe it will sink in with FFS sometime.

Thanks for the kind words. I half expected to get beat up for asking too obvious questions...

MJ, thanks for the job idea, but we can already see an example of what happens to a club when someone who doesn't know how to do the job correctly runs the show!!

:lol: :lol:

What makes you think you could do the job so badly?? :winking:

Your like putting up with sweaty bollocks when your a fat cunt.

But when we lose the weight, its goodbye to the irritation.

:lol:

Your like putting up with sweaty bollocks when your a fat ****.

But when we lose the weight, its goodbye to the irritation.

:lol:

But then as Newcastle have spent as much if not more than Liverpool in recent years it'd suggest the resources are there.

Being realistic though, its about getting it right soemwhere in between. Liverpool don't buy that many ready made stars like Chelsea and United do.

But these days they do buy more players who are capable of stepping up straight away such as Kuyt, Bellamy, Garcia, Pennant. Whether they do or not is another question. But they are as likely to buy younger players who won't be expected to step up straight away like Gonzalez, Agger and Palleta.

It used to be a knock on Gerard Houllier that he was always 'buying for the future', and those players just wherent working out often enough. I guess like always, it's about getting the balance right.

not really. Liverpool spent more this summer (although the net spending was actually quite similar). But last summer for instance, Newcastle spent more. Over the course of the last few years, it's a pretty similar amount.

Guest jackmisfit

That brings me back to my original point, Newcastle has spent a lot of money, but they don't seem to get a good return on their investments. To me that points to a fundamental breakdown of their internal system. Throwing money at stars from other systems doesn't always translate into success. It makes more sense to me to rethink the scouting program, hire a fantastic General Manager and don't meddle with his decisions, and most importantly, find a talented core of players to build around. And for god's sake, start getting rid of the players that don't contribute because they are injured all of the time. Ameobi, Owen, Dyer, etc... Just because you are hurt doesn't mean that you shouldn't be given a chance to come back and produce, but when you are out as long as some of these guys are, wouldn't it be better to just find midrange talent that can at least give some of the regulars some rest?