The UEFA CUP

Guest BooBoo

Is it all its cracked up to be playing in Europe in the UEFA Cup? I know its seen as some sort of holy grail for a lot of clubs but what are the thoughts on here about it? Its increasingly a mammoth ask to win the competition with even more games coming next season with the revamped format. Its a huge strain on the squad especially if you are in come the Spring when there's nigh on a game every other week.

Do players really think "hmmm, Villa/ Pompey/ whoever are in the UEFA Cup this year so I fancy a move to them". For every glamour tie v Ajax or Milan there's numerous against no marks. I appreciate that even qualifying for the cup suggests you are a team most likely "on the up" but I really question whether a lot of players relish playing in the competition.

As a supporter, several of our seasons under Souness and Roeder were littered with the dull Group Stage games- games against the likes of Dinamo Tblisi, Sporting Lisbon (a particularly meaningless game when both sides had qualified) and Fenerbahce were instantly forgettable on freezing nights in front of half empty stadiums.

In a nutshell, I think its a tediously drawn out competition. The straight forward knock out round format kept the ties exciting but these days it just doesnt appeal.

Which is why i wont be watching the games on tv tonight.

I was utterly sick of it by our last few seasons in it. The current format is totally ludicrous and has made it into a total second rate competition - as a fan, you've probably spent £100 before you get a vaguely competitive tie and that's just at home.

Guest Stephen927

Would feel more legitimate if third place finishes in the Champions League groups didn't qualify teams for the UEFA Cup knock out stages.

Just feels like a second bit at the cherry for them.

A kick in the teeth in a way for the UEFA Cup teams who have progressed that far only to draw a CL team.

It seems to be designed to create a few welcome paydays for the smaller clubs in Eastern Europe. All very well, but it just makes it look even more second-rate compared to the Champions League.

Personally, I'm not bothered whether we qualify for it or not.

To answer the original post though I know what you mean but I think it depends on which team you are supporting. Say you support some Lithuanian minnows and they qualify for the UEFA cup you'd be over the moon. They would receive a healthy cash injection and would get to contend with some of the bigger names in Europe.

If you look at it from the other side of the fence, say one of the Italian giants, then it isn't going to mean as much. They know they should be in the Champions League, the money is a drop in the ocean and they risk injuries to key players playing significantly lesser teams.

Then you get the mid-table teams. If you are finishing tenth and eleventh regularly in a league of twenty and the same four teams are taking the Champions League spots what is there to motivate you? The UEFA Cup provides some incentive for the team to push up the league which is ultimately better for viewers of the sport. The cup itself might not provide the riches but mixing it with some of the biggest names in Europe can brings prestige and ultimately better players to push on and progress.

I miss the good old days at SJP watching a team Latvians playing against our lot on a f***ing cold midweek night. Of course it it is a 2nd rate cup any buffoon can see that & aye it is s**** in the early rounds but come the later stages most clubs & fans take it seriously & are out to win the fucker.

It's true what they say about European experience like. Even at our lowest ebb in this competition, every match in the group stage was pretty much a formality while the sides in at the moment are all stuttering against real no-marks.

It's really shite these days. I watch it because it's football but I have no interest in it. It needs revamped, isn't the name changing next season infact? Is the format changing at all?

It's going to be the "Europa league" and the format is changing but I don't think it's much for the better.

It's really s**** these days. I watch it because it's football but I have no interest in it. It needs revamped, isn't the name changing next season infact? Is the format changing at all?

It's going to be the "Europa league" and the format is changing but I don't think it's much for the better.

It's being re-vamped again?

What ingenious format have they gone for this time?

The new-look league will have 48 clubs in 12 groups of four, with teams playing each other home and away as opposed to just once as it stands now.

The top two in each group then join the eight third-placed Champions League clubs in a 32-club knock-out stage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7637600.stm

That is a significant improvement in my opinion. Less confusing for sure.

Guest NorwegianMag

Skjeldbred having a stormer against Fc Copenhagen. Had also a good match against Valencia in the previous round. We should put in a bid for him. He's brilliant on one-touch passes.

Skjeldbred having a stormer against Fc Copenhagen. Had also a good match against Valencia in the previous round. We should put in a bid for him. He's brilliant on one-touch passes.

won't fit in well here then

I think I'm just going to follow your lead and recommend every half decent Nigerian player in Europe :lol: Don't worry, at least the club will have a Norwegian by January 31. He seems quite good at injuring Alan Smith, so he can't be that bad a footballer either.

Guest NorwegianMag

I think I'm just going to follow your lead and recommend every half decent Nigerian player in Europe:lol: Don't worry, at least the club will have a Norwegian by January 31. He seems quite good at injuring Alan Smith, so he can't be that bad a footballer either.

Wtf man. :p I didn't SAY that we should have signed Hangeland. Coloccini is a lot better. Just said he was good.

But it have said, a lot of AVERAGE players from Norway, that's spot on. We're in a very bad period, just look at how our national team is performing. M.G.Pedersen and Riise are shite.