KK begins legal action against NUFC

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Kevin Keegan begins legal action against NewcastleGeorge Caulkin  TIMES

Three months after his departure from St James’ Park, Kevin Keegan has begun legal proceedings against Newcastle United, with his solicitor officially lodging a multimillion-pound claim for constructive dismissal against the club. The former England manager left Tyneside in controversial circumstances in September amid allegations of interference at boardroom level in first-team affairs.

Newcastle’s position is that Keegan submitted his resignation, although he will argue that he was effectively forced from his position. Having been given public guarantees by Mike Ashley, the club’s owner, and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), that he would have the final say on transfers, the allegation is that players were signed without the manager’s approval.

The matter will be heard by a three-man Premier League tribunal at which evidence will be heard from Keegan, who is claiming that he is owed £8 million over the almost three years that remained on his contract, and Newcastle officials. The tribunal is empowered to rule on the issue, although disagreements would be dispatched to the High Court for final arbitration.

It is thought unlikely that the process will stretch that far, with a settlement — probably before Christmas — a more realistic outcome. Keegan, however, has been determined to fight his corner, both on a point of principle and financially, having seen his second managerial stint at Newcastle end in such a disappointing manner.

Having electrified the club, the city and supporters after his appointment in January this year, differences emerged between Keegan, Wise and Ashley over the running of the club and the separation of their duties. His exit dismayed the fans, prompting passionate protests, the formation of the Newcastle United Supporters Club and causing Ashley to announce that he would sell Newcastle.

While Joe Kinnear, Keegan’s replacement — initially on an interim basis and now on a season-long contract — has, up to a point, stabilised results, Newcastle are entrenched in a relegation battle in a season that, at one stage, had promised so much.

Keegan remains popular with players and supporters, although there is little chance of him returning to the club in the event of any takeover. It is alleged that Keegan had been told that he would be permitted to reinvest the £12 million proceeds of James Milner’s sale to Aston Villa in August, but that the signings of Xisco, the 22-year-old forward from Deportivo La Coruña, and Ignacio González, the 26-year-old midfield player from Valencia, on transfer deadline day were made above his head.

In subsequent negotiations with Ashley, Keegan refused to return to his role unless the influence of Wise and other directors was curtailed.

Guest sicko2ndbest

My feelings

- It didnt work out for him so he should just walk away

- This makes him look a greedy b******

- It will only affect NUFC negatively if he wins

- We are going to get absolutely no benefit from KK winning

Points 3 + 4 are similar  :blush:

good. hopefully might find the truth behind what happened now.

Unfortunately, it's not the job of lawyers to expose the truth - only to help their clients win.

but we should find out more than we already do.

there's no such thing as 'truth' in a case like this. there wasnt an independent arbitrator walking round with a camera recording all actions as they happened. there's only subjective recountings of what happened, always tinged with bias, or even lies.

i cant see this doing any good for the club, and last thing we need is for antagonistic arguments to be dredged up again. but like when SBR was fired, if they feel they have a case to get money they'll go after it, who wouldnt?

there's no such thing as 'truth' in a case like this. there wasnt an independent arbitrator walking round with a camera recording all actions as they happened. there's only subjective recountings of what happened, always tinged with bias, or even lies.

there is a contract and it's terms and there will be players and agents who had/hadn't been contacted.

One side or the other will have to prove that the contract has been broken by the other side. It'll be messy if it goes all the way but I think they'll settle out of court, as the article suggests.

Guest Sniffer

It's no different to any other job to the employees point of view. I'm sure there's a lot on here who would love to take their employer to a tribunal if they felt they were unfairly forced out of a job.

He's not suing NUFC, he's suing the current owners of NUFC.

Take them for as much as you can, KK.

Oh, you mean the owner(s) that give us transfer money?

Yeah, please do take them for all you can, we don't need any new players.

Oh, you mean the owner(s) that give us transfer money?

Yeah, please do take them for all you can, we don't need any new players.

A silly myth perpetuated by Mike Ashley. The club can more than hold its own in the transfer market without him having to pay a penny.

Kevin Keegan can fuck off. He may have been a good player for us in the past, and maybe even a good manager at times. But thats all he ever was, an employee of the Club. He's tried to make himself bigger than the Newcastle United, and quite frankly he can suck my balls for that. It was always clear to every oother fucker in the world that Ashely was set up to buy young promising players and not splash on Superstar signings, he knew about Wise (who in my eyes hasn't exactly doen a bad job) and company way back in January. His motives for leaving seem to me more and more suspect the more I think about it, and this makes it clear that money may have been a big one. If he just walks away then fine, but now his acts are becoming detrimental to the club (even more so than before) and as a result his hero status to me is more than just tarnished. Kevin thanks for scoring goals for Newcastle United before I was born, and thanks for entertaining me in the 90's, but for aiding in the demise of the football club I am doomed to love you can fuck of back to spain.

In the overall scheme of things its not a massive financial issue. But this issue (and the potential publicity it could bring) could have been a turn off for a potential buyer of the club. At the very least it probably hasn't helped those who have been working on trying to sell the club.

Re-read the very first sentence again mate.  ???

Why worry about Ashley taking a hit? If he runs the club into the ground, it's his loss.

Someone will buy it eventually and run it properly.