Owen suggests 3 pronged attack?

Guest Heneage

Guest Heneage
Michael Owen believes Newcastle should revert back to a three-pronged attack if they are to succeed in the Premier league this season.

The Magpies employed a three-man strike force under a successful spell for Kevin Keegan which saw Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka team up to fire their side to safety after a poor start.

Sitting just above the drop zone on goal difference with Sunderland, Newcastle have failed to score in their last two games - both goalless draws against Chelsea and more recently Middlesbrough.

Looking to escape another relegation battle, Owen believes that the Magpies would stand a better chance of success if they were to revert back to their former tactics.

Welcome

Welcoming the return of his fit-again team-mate Viduka, Owen told the Chronicle: "It's good that Duke is back now.

"We did a good job last season and scored some cracking goals - we had our own special formation."

Owen, though, admits that competition for a starting spot in Newcastle's attack is high with so many strikers available for selection.

"In a way we are top-heavy in the striking department," he added.

Gerrin Michael! Maybe JK will take some notice.

Michael Owen believes Newcastle should revert back to a three-pronged attack if they are to succeed in the Premier league this season.

The Magpies employed a three-man strike force under a successful spell for Kevin Keegan which saw Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka team up to fire their side to safety after a poor start.

Sitting just above the drop zone on goal difference with Sunderland, Newcastle have failed to score in their last two games - both goalless draws against Chelsea and more recently Middlesbrough.

Looking to escape another relegation battle, Owen believes that the Magpies would stand a better chance of success if they were to revert back to their former tactics.

Welcome

Welcoming the return of his fit-again team-mate Viduka, Owen told the Chronicle: "It's good that Duke is back now.

"We did a good job last season and scored some cracking goals - we had our own special formation."

Owen, though, admits that competition for a starting spot in Newcastle's attack is high with so many strikers available for selection.

"In a way we are top-heavy in the striking department," he added.

Gerrin Michael! Maybe JK will take some notice.

Owen for manager!

:pow:

I wonder if Owen thinks he might get dropped?

Not a chance. It was a disgrace that Martins was taken off last week instead of Owen. Although if the manager had any sense he would have actually taken say Enrique off and put Charlie as full-back and then played all of them together. Shame he doesn't like none of this bravado stuff though.

I think 3 man attack only works if we play 3 central midfielders... so that would involve dropping either duff or jonas. Can't see it happening.

Would be good to see though, if we could get back to some of the form we had in that run at the end of last season we'd shoot up the league.

Not a chance. It was a disgrace that Martins was taken off last week instead of Owen. Although if the manager had any sense he would have actually taken say Enrique off and put Charlie as full-back and then played all of them together. Shame he doesn't like none of this bravado stuff though.

If they think he's going then why piss off a player with a future?

I think 3 man attack only works if we play 3 central midfielders... so that would involve dropping either duff or jonas. Can't see it happening.

Would be good to see though, if we could get back to some of the form we had in that run at the end of last season we'd shoot up the league.

jonas puts in the defensive work however he is more effective out wide.

Can't see Kinnear going for it. Can't see him being told what to do either, did you see him defending the substitution of Martins against Boro?

I didnt. What did he say ?

Basically that Martins had missed some chances and hadn't scored a goal, so he was completely right to take him off.

Obviously hadn't been watching the anonymous Owen. Better to miss chances than not create any IMO.

Both N'Zogbia and Jonas like to come inside and both work hard and get stuck in. I think it could work with the pair of them and Butt/Guthrie until Barton returns.

Both N'Zogbia and Jonas like to come inside and both work hard and get stuck in. I think it could work with the pair of them and Butt/Guthrie until Barton returns.

both would be too much of a risk...given the choice, jonas every time.

If they think he's going then why piss off a player with a future?

Maybe Joe shouldnt keep going on at press conferences about keeping Owen. When he leaves its just going to look like he failed.

But would Zog - Butt - Jonas work in the centre of the park? Maybe Guthrie in there somewhere

Sorted.

Yup. Butt out and we'll be fine in my opinion.

Jonas - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Owen

Viduka - Martins

So that's both Owen and Martins now saying we should play with our three best strikers. Will Kinnear be the only one not to realise that it's the best way to go?

tricky one though as it needs the midfield to go with it.

(see,no jokes or nothing about "when's she back then " or "is she eating for 2" or anything like that)

But would Zog - Butt - Jonas work in the centre of the park? Maybe Guthrie in there somewhere

Sorted.

Yup. Butt out and we'll be fine in my opinion.

Jonas - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Owen

Viduka - Martins

Gonna be ripped to shreds.

So that's both Owen and Martins now saying we should play with our three best strikers. Will Kinnear be the only one not to realise that it's the best way to go?

tricky one though as it needs the midfield to go with it.

(see,no jokes or nothing about "when's she back then " or "is she eating for 2" or anything like that)

I'm disappointed :(

Guthrie Butt and Jonas would do me for a midfield three while Barton is out, tbh.