18% HDTV owners dont know the difference between HD and SD

Guest LucaAltieri

Guest LucaAltieri
A recent survey by Leichtman Research Group has revealed that 18% of the HDTV owners think that they are watching HD shows when actually they are not. The survey was carried out through a telephone on 1,302 adults aged above 18. Here are some of the findings of the survey:

Combined, 38% of HD owners say that replacing an old/broken set or wanting to buy a new TV set was the most important reason for getting their HDTV – compared to 22% citing picture quality, and 7% the quality of HD programming or the number of HD channels.

44% with annual household incomes over $50,000 have an HDTV compared to 20% with annual household incomes under $50,000.

33% of HDTV owners have more than one HDTV set, and 25% are likely to get another HDTV set in the next year.

9% of HD owners say that they switched multi-channel video providers when they purchased their HDTV .

42% of HDTV owners say that they were told how to receive HD programming when they purchased their set.

http://startupmeme.com/18-hdtv-owners-think-theyre-watching-high-definition-programs/

Guest LucaAltieri

This thread is made for the king of dweebs. T'Dave.

Well, I didn't think we needed another thread on Adidas tracksuits.

...by the way, in order for something to be "retro" doesn't have to have actually been fashionable at some point in time?

Just curious.

...by the way, in order for something to be "retro" doesn't have to have actually been fashionable at some point in time?

Just curious.

Ouch. You've cut me deep.

Guest LucaAltieri

Just curious.

Innocent question. I'm here to learn.

Just curious.

Innocent question. I'm here to learn.

:lol:

Clever cunt. ;)

Well, a lot of people (e.g. my parents) are buying HDTV's just because they think they're better, despite them not having anything which can output in HD. So, that figure is not surprising...

It's not that people can't tell the difference, it's that people don't understand the technology. This is just a case of someone having gone to the expense of conducting a survey that ended up telling us things we already knew (as shown by the other results, wow they were informative!!) and then trying to justify the exercise by spinning it in a misleading way so as to get it some publicity. Yeah, people are ignorant of new technology and end up buying stuff they don't understand, nothing new there then, but the really stupid people in this are the idiots involved in carrying out this totally pointless piece of research.

It's not that people can't tell the difference, it's that people don't understand the technology. This is just a case of someone having gone to the expense of conducting a survey that ended up telling us things we already knew (as shown by the other results, wow they were informative!!) and then trying to justify the exercise by spinning it in a misleading way so as to get it some publicity. Yeah, people are ignorant of new technology and end up buying stuff they don't understand, nothing new there then, but the really stupid people in this are the idiots involved in carrying out this totally pointless piece of research.

Sounds like the rantings of an 18%er to me.

Sounds like the rantings of an 18%er to me.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Guest Jawesome

People can be so fucking stupid at times.  No wonder we're in a financial crisis when you've got people buying expensive things that they have no clue about.  This is nearly as bad as the idiots who give 50 quid to PC world to insert some RAM.

:lol:

To be honest, I wouldn't even describe what I've got with my 20" Samsung and Xbox360 as a proper HD experience, it is pretty much the equivalent of using a decent monitor while playing a PC game. Sharper picture, good resolution, that is about it.

To fully utilise HD, you need:

32" HD TV - £350

Xbox360/PS3 + good set of games - £250

Sky + HD - £99 + £27 per month

Blu-Ray Disc Player - £150

Blu-Ray DVDs - £150 for a good selection

All adds up to be honest, and in my opinion it has been good business by the TV manufacturers of making HD TVs affordable before we get to the digital switchover, as otherwise more would buy non-hd digital tuner TVs in time for the switchover, and therefore be unwilling to buy an HDTV over the next ten years, which would mean lost trade for all the other  HD peripherals.

To be honest, I wouldn't even describe what I've got with my 20" Samsung and Xbox360 as a proper HD experience, it is pretty much the equivalent of using a decent monitor while playing a PC game. Sharper picture, good resolution, that is about it.

To fully utilise HD, you need:

32" HD TV - £350

Xbox360/PS3 + good set of games - £250

Sky + HD - £99 + £27 per month

Blu-Ray Disc Player - £150

Blu-Ray DVDs - £150 for a good selection

All adds up to be honest, and in my opinion it has been good business by the TV manufacturers of making HD TVs affordable before we get to the digital switchover, as otherwise more would buy non-hd digital tuner TVs in time for the switchover, and therefore be unwilling to buy an HDTV over the next ten years, which would mean lost trade for all the other  HD peripherals.

40" 1080p (top range 7 series Samsung)

HD content streamed from PC to TV through (tversity) network.

360 with about 15 games

V+ box coming next week

Blu-Ray player arriving on Thurs

BR collection ready to be expanded on.

Rock on HD

That's all HD is though, isn't it?

I have a pioneer plasma and Sky HD and the difference is quite noticeable, particularly if you watch ITV SD.  Best SD channel that comes anywhere near HD is Five in my opinion, very good watching CSI