Sound Systems

GM

Remember them? People actually went out and spent shed loads of money on an amplifier, a CD player, an AM/FM tuner, possibly even a DAB tuner as well later on, possibly even a nice turntable for the old vinyl.

Does anyone bother with anything other than an iPod (or equivalent) these days? Where's the glamour and what's the point in collecting CDs these days - a format that is dying on its arse and is conceptually obsolete now, surely?

And yet, I was wondering whether I should maybe invest in a new sound system - moving into a new flat in the next few weeks and have always wanted one, but I just don't see that anyone really has them any more? Do they?  ???

Guest LucaAltieri

Get yourself a PC with a decent soundcard and hook it up to a decent set of speakers. The dedicated stereo is a dying concept.

Aye, I was thinking about this the other day.  Laptop (or iPod equivalent) plugged into a decent amp is all that's really required, and I don't really worry about anything else.  Still, though, I just can't bring myself to relegate the CD collection to the loft or wherever.. there are just too many of them, and some of them were too hard to find, to just hoy in a box and never look at again.  Not that anyone appreciates the troubles I went through collecting them, of course :)

My sentiments exactly mate. I find it aesthetically pleasing being able to see my collection on display as it took a fair bit of effort and determination building it up (vinyl and believe it or not cassette tape too :blush: ) Obviously there's a second collection of the most embarrassing shit that gets hidden away in a box in the back of a cupboard...

Heh, aye.  Forgot about the secondary collection.  I would say between 5% and 10% of my collection will never, ever see the light of day again :)

Thank f*ck for the latest 80s retro revival and the existence of e-Bay is all I can say...

:blush:

I've got an amazing sound system in my room at home, a proper Richer Sounds special, but unless I want to crack the plaster on the walls and change CD's every half an hour, there is absolutely no reason I'd want to use it over my Laptop with sub and speakers. It's a shame really, because CD's and stereos make the music sound so much better.

I link my amp and Denons up to my PC when I go home to my parent's. I'd have it here with me too, but it's pointless because my room is small and the walls are thin. Cheap PC speakers and earphones do the job for now but I adore going home and using my amp set-up. Really good audio quality and it's much more viable and fair for me to turn the volume and bass up.

I never play off a CD though, it's either connected to my MP3 player or my PC box via a mini-jack.