NUFC Captain?

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

IMO Michael Owen is not the right person to be captain, he is not vocal enough, making him captain was a way of trying to keep him sweet so he would sign a new contract, he probably wont be staying so we might aswell give it to someone who wants to be here. We desperatly lack leadership on the pitch & we need someone who can instruct other players, give them a bollocking when they are playing poorly & give out instructions to players during the match, the captain is the first line of communication between the manager & the players.

So who could be NUFC captain?

Coloccini - Once he settles & learns english he should be a definite candidate, he is older so would get respect from the younger players, definite starter.

Given - not vocal enough but has been at the club a long time & has respect of other players, currently vice captain, definite starter.

Barton - is quite vocal on the pitch but having him as captain after whats happened might be difficult for him to get respect, he will probably be in first XI regularly.

Taylor - local lad would love to be captain, can be quite vocal & is quite young so would find it hard to get respect of older players, but Bassong is keeping him out the team rightfully atm so is not a regular starter.

Thoughts? Anyone else ive missed out

Guest toonlass

I said the same earlier in the week and was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Micheal Owen is NOT captain material.

I don't think Barton is the right guy, for what should be obvious reasons.

I have to agree with most of the above that Beye should be the captain. He's a great player, speaks many languages, seems to have the respect of the players, and is one of only two or three guaranteed starting 11 players.

Unfortunately, if Owen were to be stripped of the arm band, I would assume that it would go to either Duff or Butt, as long as Kinnear is in charge.

Beye?

My thought too.  At least in with a shout.  Seems to be respected by the rest of the team, likely a good communicator across several languages, would work for me.

Definitely - Beye was captain in Marseille for 2 years, so I am sure he would be good captain also here in NUFC.

Barton would be the obvious choice if he wasn't a head case. I would still consider him the front runner in the hope that the extra responsibility would see him grow into the role...and hopefully grow up in the process.

If not, then Beye's the obvious choice. It wasn't a coincidence that when he was removed from the back four we fell apart today. He has all the right qualities, as a player and a role model. He's also pretty vocal for a foreigner.

Guest The Libertine

taylor would be a great captain imo. he's young but not too young, local lad who bleeds black and white, vocal enough, an excellent prospect and would die for the shirt.

doesn't matter who the captain is. if they are leaders they'll lead regardless.

was tony adams less of a leader when shearer captained the england team ?

someone should have stood forward today as a leader (i was hoping for beye or coloccini) but it never happened.

Guest rebel_yell12

You lost me the minute you mentioned Barton as a possibility.  Newcastle United has enough PR problems right now (ie of the "laughingstock" variety) that making Joey Barton captain seems fitting if slightly insane.  He's just been in prison over the summer, had a hefty ban from the FA, etc.  And you even put thought to making him captain?

Captain should be an experienced player who is one of your constants in the XI, that the manager/club wants to make the "face" of the team.  That limits the choices to Given, Beye, Butt (he's in the XI, whether you/we like it or not), & Owen, really.  Beye just gets in because despite only one year of Premiership experience, he's had loads abroad and was captain at his old club.

Problem with Taylor is...it looks like Bassong may fit better in the back four, tbh.  He's still prone to relatively regular bad matches, too -- much of it due to what appear to be mental errors.  Say what you like about Beye (and Owen, for that matter) but I can't think of too many MENTAL errors he makes.  Some that are basic human physical errors, yes, but he thinks the game quite well, imo.  I'm less sure about Butt.

Guest Heneage

Michael Owen? Its a disgrace that this mong clown represents our club as a figure head.

Mong clown that got us 2 goals today?

Michael Owen? Its a disgrace that this mong clown represents our club as a figure head.

Thats naive in the extreme.

Our captain should be someone committed to the cause.

Thats naive in the extreme.

Our captain should be someone committed to the cause.

We'd have been in the Championship by now if Owen hadn't been "committed to the cause".