Selling shares

Cheshire Mag

I entered a profit share scheme at work 3 years ago and my shares/money is due in April next year.

Just wondering if anybody knew how much banks charge for selling shares?

I'm not sure I'd sell if keeping is an option, if you can wait 18 to 24 months then the recession will probably be a thing of the past.  Assuming the company you have shares in survives that long.

The market in shares is shot to shit at the minute.

Hold on to those shares! The groceries market is changing rapidly with more people switching downmarket like switching from Sainsburys to Morrisons, ASDA to LIDL, etc. I can only see those shares going in one direction after the next couple of years.

Hold on to those shares! The groceries market is changing rapidly with more people switching downmarket like switching from Sainsburys to Morrisons, ASDA to LIDL, etc. I can only see those shares going in one direction after the next couple of years.

I'm assuming that you watched that BBC2 program about how LIDL and ALDI are becoming more and more popular.

I tell you what, we shop there when we're in Spain... A huge lasagne that easily feeds four if you serve it with oven chips... 2 euros... (so £1.40)... and it's the best lasagne I've ever tasted. Has more meat in it than most other ones you can buy as well.

I don't shop there all the time, but theres some decent stuff for the money. One of those three bird roasts is currently in my oven for Sunday tea... will report back on what it's like.

I'm assuming that you watched that BBC2 program about how LIDL and ALDI are becoming more and more popular.

I tell you what, we shop there when we're in Spain... A huge lasagne that easily feeds four if you serve it with oven chips... 2 euros... (so £1.40)... and it's the best lasagne I've ever tasted. Has more meat in it than most other ones you can buy as well.

I don't shop there all the time, but theres some decent stuff for the money. One of those three bird roasts is currently in my oven for Sunday tea... will report back on what it's like.

Someone else who preaches the word of Aldi lasagnes!!!!!  You can get them over here too.

I just started working as a district manager with Lidl recently.  The staff who have worked there for a few years all say how the credit crunch is bringing a lot more customers in.  There's another 15 stores due to open in the north east so things are definitely going the way of the discounters at the moment.

I entered a profit share scheme at work 3 years ago and my shares/money is due in April next year.

I used to get free shares in my last job and I was always charged £15 for selling them.  Your employer should give you contact details for which bank runs your scheme - it was the Halifax in my case - and then it's just a case of calling them and getting them to sell them for you.  I don't know if it's the same at your place but if I sold the shares after 3 years I had to pay tax and NI on them - if I kept them for 5 years then there was no tax to pay.

It was bloody lovely... had it as a Sunday lunch style thing (wrong time I know!) like I said... it's chicken, layer of stuffing, duck, layer of stuffing, turkey. Really nice, can't remember the exact price... but it fed four of us and there's still some left for me and my dad to make sandwiches for work.

ALDI and LIDL get too much bad press.

I used to get free shares in my last job and I was always charged £15 for selling them.  Your employer should give you contact details for which bank runs your scheme - it was the Halifax in my case - and then it's just a case of calling them and getting them to sell them for you.  I don't know if it's the same at your place but if I sold the shares after 3 years I had to pay tax and NI on them - if I kept them for 5 years then there was no tax to pay.

For the people who took part in the scheme put an ammount into an account with the Yorkshire building society for 3 years. At the end of the 3 years you can either have the money you have been putting away or buy the shares with your money you have saved, the offer price was £1.81 a share I think.

My original plan was to take the shares and then sell them due to lack of money but now not so sure, will probably have to pay NI and Tax on them as I will be selling them through a bank.

Amen to the Lasagne from ALDI btw!!

For the people who took part in the scheme put an ammount into an account with the Yorkshire building society for 3 years. At the end of the 3 years you can either have the money you have been putting away or buy the shares with your money you have saved, the offer price was £1.81 a share I think.

My original plan was to take the shares and then sell them due to lack of money but now not so sure, will probably have to pay NI and Tax on them as I will be selling them through a bank.

Amen to the Lasagne from ALDI btw!!

Sounds exactly like the one I was in mate.  I used to sell mine every year once the 3 yrs were up and got hammered with tax.  I'd be surprised if you didn't have the option of keeping them for 5yrs as I think most companies' schemes work this way.  At my old place though you decided at the time of starting your payments whether you want it to run for 3yrs or 5yrs so it might be too late now.