Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Michael Owen, 22/12/2008.

"Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today (Monday) to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time," Owen said.

"I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

"I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

"My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

"I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear's passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high."

Joe Kinnear, 22/12/2008

"Michael told me in person about his decision and I fully understand where he is coming from.

"We have a great relationship as captain and manager and that will certainly continue.

"He is focussed on scoring goals for Newcastle United and helping us keep progressing this season.

"Michael will consider his options in the summer but I am still optimistic that he will stay with us when it comes to making a decision.

"In the meantime I have no doubts whatsoever that he will continue to give 100 per cent for Newcastle United.

"Having gone six games unbeaten we are a very happy camp at Newcastle United and Michael Owen plays a big part in that as skipper.

"I'm looking forward to him continuing to score goals for us as they will be crucial in what we do for the rest of the season."

Guest Sniffer

Considering the club is dysfunctional from top to bottom, I'm not surprised contract negotiations are non existent. There is nobody there to initiate discussions who has any clout.

From those quotes it actually seems as though Owen understands the problem and is being patient. Obviously we still need to get him signed up ASAP.

Yep, I just don't get it. Surely all of us could try and type out a contract for him to sign? maybe we could sign him up at this forum...

Guest Brazilianbob

It seems very odd that none of these players are in negotiation over renewing their contracts.

I honestly think Ashley has instructed the club not to do so, and to let these players leave as payback for the fans driving him out (because acknowledge it or not, that is what has happened!!).

Also it seems Ashley hasn't paid off the debt after all, which would explain why the club, that was supposedly in the black, hasn't sold.

I reckon that as long as he eventually gets initial outlay back, he couldn't give a toss whether we go down or stay up.  It may even be that he is prepared to take a whacking great loss of millions to get his own back.  After all a loss of say £50m is probably just a drop in the ocean to him!  Either way I don't blame him, the fans have brought this on themselves by their outrageous reaction to Keegan leaving and then turning on Ashley saying he wasn't safe at SJP.  You reap what you sow!!

It's been obvious for some time that Ashley is waiting for Owen's contract to run out. He has no intention of keeping Owen on the wage bill.

Then again, we are like mushrooms kept in the dark and fed shit, what do we know?

I wouldn't blame Owen for leaving but I wish he was a bit more up front about his own intentions.

Owen states that the club have not entered into contract talks with his people yet but he doesn't give any indication if he would welcome any talks.

It seems very odd that none of these players are in negotiation over renewing their contracts.

I honestly think Ashley has instructed the club not to do so, and to let these players leave as payback for the fans driving him out (because acknowledge it or not, that is what has happened!!).

Also it seems Ashley hasn't paid off the debt after all, which would explain why the club, that was supposedly in the black, hasn't sold.

I reckon that as long as he eventually gets initial outlay back, he couldn't give a toss whether we go down or stay up.  It may even be that he is prepared to take a whacking great loss of millions to get his own back.  After all a loss of say £50m is probably just a drop in the ocean to him!  Either way I don't blame him, the fans have brought this on themselves by their outrageous reaction to Keegan leaving and then turning on Ashley saying he wasn't safe at SJP.  You reap what you sow!!

:lol:  Sorry but all I can do is laugh at that, too ridiculous  :doh:

That's literally mental mate, good job :idiot2:

Why does this surprise anyone?

Ashley it seems will definitely be selling up next summer at the moment, and Owen is contracted to us until then right?

Why would you all then expect him to throw more money at Owen at this moment in time.

"And not just for me, by the way - there are about five players who are in their last year"

Thats a worrying statement

No. That's really OK. Rest can go.

Guest Heneage

"And not just for me, by the way - there are about five players who are in their last year"

Thats a worrying statement

Harper Cacapa Butt are the others he means.

Guest rebel_yell12

'I had talks with the club five or six months ago' is Owen-speak for 'I turned down their offer five or six months ago'.

Wow.  I didn't know you knew "Owen-speak," bobyule.  Amazing talent you've got there, to know what someone you've likely never met is really saying.

But seriously, he said they were in negotiations, but "the club never got back to us" which implies that Owen and his representatives returned a counter-offer, essentially.  The club offered him something, he tweaked it/outright changed some things (who knows what it was, maybe a 3 yr contract to a 4 or something...maybe 100k to 105k...maybe something as inane as an altered 'marketing appearances' clause -- no way to know) and the club never replied to that negotiation.  That is slightly different than flat turning it down.  I'd be surprised if any of the "big name" players at any club sign the very first thing the club offers.  It's always negotiations (on both sides).