Vital that we don't cash in on Owen in January

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

I would far rather let Owen go for nothing in the summer if it his goals mean we retain our EPL status, rather than taking a few million for him in January and then getting relegated because we can't buy a goal.

Better for every single party involved for him to wait until the summer.

For Owen

/ We're shit but he's guaranteed a place in the team every week

/ He's scoring goals and that will help his England prospects

/ He's still guaranteed shitloads-a-week wages, even if he wants a bit more

/ He'll have more options (more clubs after him in the summer), cos he'll be on a free then

/ Practically speaking, his kids will be in the middle of a school term and it'll be much easier re-jigging his family again in the summer

For us

/ We need to stay up, simple as really, and goals will help that

/ Cashing in on £5m or so won't go a long way, really, especially not if it'll go towards JFK's transfer fund

For other clubs

/ Teams don't trust his fitness record or his consistency to perform, therefore will be reluctant to spend significant money on him

/ Free in the summer

I can't see him leaving till the summer, thankfully. :thup:

Guest rebel_yell12

Better for every single party involved for him to wait until the summer.

For Owen

/ We're s*** but he's guaranteed a place in the team every week

/ He's scoring goals and that will help his England prospects

/ He's still guaranteed shitloads-a-week wages, even if he wants a bit more

/ He'll have more options (more clubs after him in the summer), cos he'll be on a free then

/ Practically speaking, his kids will be in the middle of a school term and it'll be much easier re-jigging his family again in the summer

For us

/ We need to stay up, simple as really, and goals will help that

/ Cashing in on £5m or so won't go a long way, really, especially not if it'll go towards JFK's transfer fund

For other clubs

/ Teams don't trust his fitness record or his consistency to perform, therefore will be reluctant to spend significant money on him

/ Free in the summer

I can't see him leaving till the summer, thankfully. :thup:

For Owen

1. true, but easily true at other clubs (Everton, Spurs, etc.)

2.  Capello didn't pick him earlier because the team was sh** and Owen would therefore be "low on confidence" (well, that or Capello just prefers Defoe...)

3.  Doesn't a new club have to honor his old contract until he signs a new one? I thought that was what buying the contract meant.

4.  True, except at clubs that may be desperate to improve this season (Everton, Spurs, maybe Villa?)

5.  His family is in Wales.  His wife and kids moved back to Wales two years ago -- when his eldest started compulsory schooling.  He's admitted in interviews that he's only in Newcastle 2-3 nights of a week.  The impression is that they moved to avoid this exact issue -- no matter who he plays for, "home" is his big place in N. Wales.

6.  You might add, however, that it makes Owen look like he gave Newcastle every chance to re-sign him (although for most players, it seems leaving on a Bosman is considered vaguely dishonorable, so he may want to try to get the club a transfer fee of some sort)

I still agree with your conclusions.  I'd like to think this club isn't so mad as to sell him in January for a few mil, the loss of which may well be covered by actually staying in the Premier League, and/or positions on the table.

Guest TinoInHiding

exactly. which is why he will be going nowhere.

But wasn't one of the reasons Keegan quit, supposedly because they tried to sell Owen at the end of the last transfer window?

Ashley's still in charge, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried to cash in on whatever he can before the sale of the club....

But wasn't one of the reasons Keegan quit, supposedly because they tried to sell Owen at the end of the last transfer window?

Ashley's still in charge, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried to cash in on whatever he can before the sale of the club....

I don't think anyone has a clue about that, just put it on the list of unverified rumours.

At the time I doubt anyone thought Keegan would have walked and we'd be fighting relegation come Christmas. I doubt he'll be sold in January because it doesn't suit him and the position we are in, it doesn't suit us either.