Newcastle restaurants

Allmo

Just had a look at the menu for Red Mezze, looks good, annoyingly though I like the look of just about everything.

Going to El Coto next week for a leaving do, not been for a while so quite looking forward to it.. Sangria. :sadnod:

Guest Geordiesned

Never been there will have to give it a try. Has anyone ever been to the Raval Indian restaurant by the Hilton in Gateshead? See its been voted the best indian in the country.

Raval is quality, one of the best Indians I've ever been to. Their chutneys are to die for and the curries are so different to the oily swill elsewhere (had a sea bass one when I went). It's quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

I tried to get in last night but they were fully booked (which surprised me since it was empty when I tried on a Saturday night a few months ago).

As it's a bit more up market than your standard Indians do they mind groups of lads going in? We have a bit of a "curry club" at work going on and like to try as many new places as possible. I'm not talking about a group of charvers going in at the end of the night pissed, we're all between about 30 and 50ish.

Never been there will have to give it a try. Has anyone ever been to the Raval Indian restaurant by the Hilton in Gateshead? See its been voted the best indian in the country.

Raval is quality, one of the best Indians I've ever been to. Their chutneys are to die for and the curries are so different to the oily swill elsewhere (had a sea bass one when I went). It's quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

I tried to get in last night but they were fully booked (which surprised me since it was empty when I tried on a Saturday night a few months ago).

As it's a bit more up market than your standard Indians do they mind groups of lads going in? We have a bit of a "curry club" at work going on and like to try as many new places as possible. I'm not talking about a group of charvers going in at the end of the night pissed, we're all between about 30 and 50ish.

I doubt they'd mind you coming but obviously book ahead. The waiters are really friendly and it's nice but not too nice. Most people go in smart casual dress but there was a bloke in a T-shirt when I went so they can't be too picky.

Just had a look at the menu for Red Mezze, looks good, annoyingly though I like the look of just about everything.

Going to El Coto next week for a leaving do, not been for a while so quite looking forward to it.. Sangria. :sadnod:

The food was canny the other night, nowt super special tho.  Would have went to Red Mezze if it wasn;t full.

Is this the place where a Michelin star judge went when off duty and was so impressed he told them to apply to be judged?

Guest Geordiesned

Aye that's the one. Also the place that Cliff Richard recently described as the best restaurant in the world. Not sure if that's a good thing though!

That Raval is supposed to be amazing.  Cheap too for the standard of a la carté style food.

My uncle is a big curry fan, and makes an amazing curry from scratch, but he said it was just quality from start to finish.

Whats this Red Mezze then?  Can't find owt about it - perhaps im just being a tit?

Also, anyone know if the Grainger Rooms is still any good?  Thinking of a place to wine and dine a lass.

That Raval is supposed to be amazing.  Cheap too for the standard of a la carté style food.

My uncle is a big curry fan, and makes an amazing curry from scratch, but he said it was just quality from start to finish.

Whats this Red Mezze then?  Can't find owt about it - perhaps im just being a tit?

Also, anyone know if the Grainger Rooms is still any good?  Thinking of a place to wine and dine a lass.

http://www.redmezze.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if Comfort Food Co is still open?

Failing that can anyone recommend a good place to take my lass on her b'day selling British/local food in city centre?

Blackfriars is canny.

Failing that can anyone recommend a good place to take my lass on her b'day selling British/local food in city centre?

Blackfriars is canny.

it's no munchies mind.

Blackfriars is canny.

it's no munchies mind.

Ugghhh Munchies.

Meant to be going to Gusto tonight, but no idea where it is.  :undecided:

Blackfriars is canny.

it's no munchies mind.

Ugghhh Munchies.

On the Quayside near the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.

Blackfriars is canny.

it's no munchies mind.

Ugghhh Munchies.

On the Quayside near the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.

:thup: Cheers. Their website just says 'Quayside' which isn't much help. Not really the weather for a leisurely stroll to hunt for it.  :lol:

Blackfriars is canny.

The above mentioned Grainger Rooms was cracking when I went earlier in the year, delicious food although the wine wasn't anything special. All local produce as well.

Starter & Puds (under the Theatre Royal) was pretty tasty when we went in August.

For tapas, I love El Torero - always have a great night if we go there.

Blackfriars is canny.

The above mentioned Grainger Rooms was cracking when I went earlier in the year, delicious food although the wine wasn't anything special. All local produce as well.

Starter & Puds (under the Theatre Royal) was pretty tasty when we went in August.

Aye I've heard Grainger Rooms is nice and Blackfriars was lush when i went a while back.

Really fancy Comfort Food Co if its still open, hasn't got a website that i can find though.

Even though its a chain its about time Newcastle got a Las Iguana's - always decent bait in there, also could do with an out and out steakhouse, preferably in an Argentine theme.

Blackfriars is canny.

Aye I've heard Grainger Rooms is nice and Blackfriars was lush when i went a while back.

Really fancy Comfort Food Co if its still open, hasn't got a website that i can find though.

Even though its a chain its about time Newcastle got a Las Iguana's - always decent bait in there, also could do with an out and out steakhouse, preferably in an Argentine theme.

I would love a Gaucho Grill in Newcastle, that would be great.

Las Iguana isn't great in my opinion, I'm not usually a fan of chain restaurants but Gaucho Grill is an exception.

Blackfriars is canny.

Did you try the English wine at Grainger Rooms? Never had it (thought it was probably a bit pricey) but heard good things about it since.

And a top shout for a gaucho grill in newcastle too, would work perfectly imo. 

We ordered a 'rioja' (£25) which turned out to be something quite different, not that awful, just not what we ordered. When we asked the lad if we could look at the bottle (he'd poured everyone a glass and taken it away) he claimed that it had smashed in the kitchen...

Funnily enough, the next bottle was the proper stuff

We ordered a 'rioja' (£25) which turned out to be something quite different, not that awful, just not what we ordered. When we asked the lad if we could look at the bottle (he'd poured everyone a glass and taken it away) he claimed that it had smashed in the kitchen...

Funnily enough, the next bottle was the proper stuff

Its an old trick, thats why a good restaurant will still show you the lable on the bottle before pouring.

I love Rioja like but am into my lighter reds atm. If you get the chance to sample a decent red Burgundy (Bourgogne), try a Nuit St Georges or a Cote de Beaune.

Closed in 2008.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/economy-crisis/2008/10/16/credit-crunch-shuts-newcastle-restaurant-61634-22047379/

"With effect from October 4, the Comfort Food Co will be closed. Blame the banks."