Portsmouth vs Newcastle - 14/12/08 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

Guest toonlass

Can see us coming out here and winning impressively just to be hammered at home by spurs. Bugger it, I'm going

Shay

Beye                  Colo                    Bassong                Enrique

Jonas                Geremi          Zog

Duke                  Owen              Martins

4-1 to us

Can see us coming out here and winning impressively just to be hammered at home by spurs. Bugger it, I'm going

Shay

Beye                  Colo                     Bassong                 Enrique

Jonas                 Geremi           Zog

Duke                  Owen               Martins

4-1 to us

Would love us to line up like that, but I doubt it'll happen.

2-2. Martins off around the 70th minute mark.

Sounds familiar.

Anyway, I reckon Kinnear will go for:

Given

Beye Coloccini Taylor Edgar Bassong Enrique

Cacapa Geremi

Martins Owen

The old 6-2-2.  ???

2-2. Martins off around the 70th minute mark.

Sounds familiar.

Anyway, I reckon Kinnear will go for:

Given

Beye Coloccini Taylor Edgar Bassong Enrique

Cacapa Geremi

Martins Owen

The old 6-2-2.  ???

712?  :lol:

Guest toonlass

Shay

Beye                  Colo                     Bassong                 Enrique

Jonas                 Geremi           Zog

Duke                  Owen               Martins

4-1 to us

Would love us to line up like that, but I doubt it'll happen.

Oh I agree, Kinnear won't play that line up, but I would. That is what the score would be if we play that line up. But we won't!

We went to theirs last season with KK and got a 0-0 draw and had chances to win it, bearing in mind last season they were an in-form Pompey side who were gunning for Europe.

I think that 3 points is more than possible. Whether or not possibility becomes reality, that's an entirely different scenario.

2-2

We are all over the place in the first half, could have been 4 or 5 down but manage to keep to 2-0

Second half we come out all guns blazing, get a goal back, ten minutes later we score another.

The final 15 minutes see Pompey hanging on for dear life as we throw everything at them.

It's a game of two halves you see.  :dave:

We went to theirs last season with KK and got a 0-0 draw and had chances to win it, bearing in mind last season they were an in-form Pompey side who were gunning for Europe.

I think that 3 points is more than possible. Whether or not possibility becomes reality, that's an entirely different scenario.

They had one eye on the FA cup final when we went there last season tbf.

I'd be happy with a draw.

They had one eye on the FA cup final when we went there last season tbf.

I'd be happy with a draw.

It's hard to gauge. They've been much worse this season than last. They're very poor. Problem is, we are too.

Portsmouth are a very much differnt side then the last two seasons. They are more open now I think. The last two years they've been a team who were very compact and featured either (Drogba type player) or Kanu (Master of holding the ball up) upfront alone. Now they start two up front every match (Crouch and Defoe) along with losing Muntari/Mendes in the middle. They've lost some of their solidarity along with becoming a team with more attacking options. Honestly I don't see why we can't win this match. I refuse to be scared of a team that will start a 19 year old left back and Glen Little on either wing. Seriously, their main creative force has been f***** Glen Johnson. Sol Campbell turns slower than the goddamn planet Earth. I refuse to fall into this ridiculous self-fulfilling prophecy that we wil lose to them. So, Howay the Lads!, Forza Bianconeri!, Allez Allez!, Oba et Owen droit au but!! For this Sabbath day shall be a ghastly one for the citizens of Pompey!!!

TO HELL WITH PESSIMISM!!!!

3-1 NEWCASTLE UNITED.

Guest optimistic nit

if we're goint to put 3 in midfield i cant see it working with both zog and jonas, we're going to need 2 proper cm's to give jonas the freedom to play.