Sky without a landline

Belfast Boy

Every week Monday to Friday I work down in the south of Ireland and stay in a room in a shared house. The main room has Sky but there is no landline. I was hoping to pay a bit extra to get Sky Broadband in the house but some of the other lads in the house say this would cost about £30 a month. Does anyone know what options there are for Sky without a landline and if it is possible to get internet on these packages? I have Sky+ at home and only pay an extra £5 a month for Broadband.

The main thing I want it for is to use Skype to call home, these international phone calls are costing me a fortune on the mobile and its far too cold to be standing in a call box.

You don't need a landline for Sky TV, but the initial 12 month contract t&cs say you will have one connected to your box.

To get any non-cable broadband you need a landline. It costs £124.99 for standard installation but I think there's an offer on at the moment to get it for free (if you meet certain calling criteria etc).

Don't think what you're looking for can be done.

Where in the south are you living? There is pretty good 'wireless' broadband coverage in major areas like Dublin and Cork etc. This could be a genuine option in your case. Probably a bit more expensive than you might be thinking about now though. It was a disaster for me when I first moved down here too, I used the 3 mobile broadband usb adapter, and it was pretty shit, but depends a lot on coverage, so maybe could be ok for you.

So in my situation there is no way of just adding broadband on for a nominal fee then?

ADSL Broadband comes down a phone line. Unless you have cable (or one of the other poxy ways that aren't worth discussing) you can't get home broadband without one.

You may be lucky, and BT will just switch it back on for nothing, but if not they'll charge you £124.99. As I said, there's an offer to get it for free but it involves some hoop-jumping.