The Smiths to reform?

Mr. Snrub

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandjazzmusic/3705076/The-Smiths-could-be-ready-for-a-reunion.html

The Smiths may be on the verge of a reunion after feuding frontmen Morrissey and Johnny Marr settled their differences, according to reports.

The cult Manchester band have turned down all offers to reform since their acrimonious split in 1987, but music industry sources believe that a comeback could be imminent.

Britpop bland Blur this week announced their own reunion with a huge concert in London's Hyde Park, following successful comebacks from the likes of Led Zeppelin, Take That and the Spice Girls.

If The Smiths were to reform, singer Morrissey and lead guitarist Marr, known for his jangly riffs, would be in line for a huge payday from album sales, tours and one-off gigs.

"The very fact that they are talking again is the most hopeful thing in years," said an unnamed music industry source quoted by the Daily Mirror.

"A lot of people think of them as the best thing since The Beatles. They'd fill stadiums many times over."

Morrissey's solo career has blossomed in recent years, with well-received albums You Are The Quarry and Ringleader of the Tormentors selling well on both sides of the Atlantic, and tickets for his Greatest Hits tour selling well.

The Smiths, who also featured Andy Rourke on bass and Mike Joyce on drums, had nine Top 20 hits in the 1980s including This Charming Man, Panic and Girlfriend in a Coma before Marr walked out. He has recently worked on material with US band Modest Mouse.

Too good to be true iyam, but fuck me here's hoping!!

Seeing Moz in May like, but getting the chance to see the Smiths would just be unreal.

I think Barbarism Begins At Home could possibly be my favourite Smiths track btw, it's funky as fuck.

Has anyone saw the live video at El Dorado when Morrissey and Marr are dancing at the end to it?  :laugh:

If The Smiths were to reform, singer Morrissey and lead guitarist Marr, known for his jangly riffs, would be in line for a huge payday from album sales, tours and one-off gigs.

Yup...

Sadly I think it goes without saying that that's half the reason most bands of such status reform. RATM were and are on stupid money for their reunion gigs. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that some of these bands get back together.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandjazzmusic/3705076/The-Smiths-could-be-ready-for-a-reunion.html

The Smiths may be on the verge of a reunion after feuding frontmen Morrissey and Johnny Marr settled their differences, according to reports.

The cult Manchester band have turned down all offers to reform since their acrimonious split in 1987, but music industry sources believe that a comeback could be imminent.

Britpop bland Blur this week announced their own reunion with a huge concert in London's Hyde Park, following successful comebacks from the likes of Led Zeppelin, Take That and the Spice Girls.

"The very fact that they are talking again is the most hopeful thing in years," said an unnamed music industry source quoted by the Daily Mirror.

"A lot of people think of them as the best thing since The Beatles. They'd fill stadiums many times over."

Morrissey's solo career has blossomed in recent years, with well-received albums You Are The Quarry and Ringleader of the Tormentors selling well on both sides of the Atlantic, and tickets for his Greatest Hits tour selling well.

The Smiths, who also featured Andy Rourke on bass and Mike Joyce on drums, had nine Top 20 hits in the 1980s including This Charming Man, Panic and Girlfriend in a Coma before Marr walked out. He has recently worked on material with US band Modest Mouse.

Too good to be true iyam, but fuck me here's hoping!!

Seeing Moz in May like, but getting the chance to see the Smiths would just be unreal.

Crap proofreading by the torygraph or a sly dig?

Guest Heneage

Meh  never got away with the Smiths sounded quite samey and whiney. And Morrissey seems an absolute t***.

Gerraway man.

Gotta be honest,  I just don't see the appeal, always struck me as a band that popularity grew from word of mouth and others saying they were good more than them being good. A lot of people I know will say they like them but probably couldn't name you 5 songs.  But I'm not calling you the same.

Guest The Libertine

a full smiths reunion will almost definitely never happen. morrissey and marr touring under the smiths name might though.

Guest timmy boy

a full smiths reunion will almost definitely never happen. morrissey and marr touring under the smiths name might though.

Excellent point.

They have both declined offers to reunite on numerous occasions.

Morrissey and Marr don't get on at all, also one of the other band members took them to court in the mid-nineties so I can't see how they would reunite, unless it was for an absurd amount of money.

I remember being too young to get into the Mayfair to see them when i was a nipper, must have only been 12/13. Was utterly obssessed by them throughout my teenage years. What i really love about their music is the strange confusing energy created by the lyrics and the rhythm. How Soon is Now? is essentially a dance track but mournful and ballad like at the same time, same goes for Reel Around the Fountain, at first you think it must be a slow track but in fact it has a very quick pitch. "two lumps please, you're the bees-knees and so am i"

:love:

very little impressed me after meat is murder and to be fair only the first two really done it for me. saw them live at the city hall with james as support.

rourke changed his bass as high soon is now and the bass line continued.....marr turned his back at the opening of what difference does it make.....very strange !

Guest Geordiecunny

Band reunions are all the rage at the moment, can't fathom quite why though...

Ker-ching!!!

that and todays music is so average. Its also nailed on success for record companies. Its the same with films- remakes and sequels.

• 5 years later...
After being repeatedly hospitalised over the past year and a half, Morrissey has said in a recent Spanish-language interview that he has undergone a series of cancer treatments.

“They have scraped cancerous tissues four times already, but whatever,” Morrissey told El Mundo, via the Morrissey-Solo messageboard. “If I die, then I die. And if I don’t, then I don’t. Right now I feel good. I am aware that in some of my recent photos I look somewhat unhealthy, but that’s what illness can do. I’m not going to worry about that, I’ll rest when I’m dead.”

:(