Luque to start?!!11?

Syrette

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=luq-who%2Ds-back-for-toon%26method=full%26objectid=18026786%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Albert Luque will be given his third start of the season when Newcastle United go in against Palermo in tomorrow night's UEFA Cup tie in Sicily.

And with Glenn Roeder having to decide whether Steve Harper, who continues to struggle with a groin injury, can play two games in three days, 19-year-old rookie keeper Tim Krul has again gone on standby.

And the youngster has a very good chance in making his United debut in what will be a hostile atmosphere in the picturesque Italian island.

Roeder has several other injures to sort out, as joining Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Shola Ameobi, Oba Martins and Shay Given will be skipper Scott Parker, who picked up a knock on his knee against Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

And as a result, when United jetted out of Newcastle airport for their 114th European tie, youngsters Paul Huntington, Aussie striker James Troisi and Andy Carroll, who scored the goal in Monday night's reserve victory over Blackburn Rovers at Kingston Park, were in the squad - and they all have a chance of being of being on the bench tomorrow night.

Parker, Damien Duff, Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro didn't fly out with the squad this morning, as they rested knocks ahead of United's busy schedule.

Roeder has been forced to turn to the 28-year-old Luque because Owen, Ameobi and Martins are all injured and Sir Alex Ferguson has stopped his Manchester United striker Seppe Rossi from being cup-tied in Europe before he returns to Old Trafford at the end of next month.

Luque actually played and scored in United's first game of the season against Lillestrom in the InterToto Cup, and also in the goalless draw with Ventspils in the UEFA Cup, both at St James' Park.

He has yet to start a Premiership match after being substitute in the opener with Wigan Athletic and then at Aston Villa, and Roeder has challenged him to put himself in the frame for Saturday's crucial game with Sheffield United at St James' Park.

Before boarding United's private jet for Palermo, Roeder told me today: "Albert Luque will start tomorrow night and it is a big opportunity for him - the ball is very much in his court.

"This is the opportunity for him to show what he can do on a fairly big European stage and the chance to prove that he really wants to play for Newcastle United."

In addition to Luque, both Emre and Antoine Sibierski were back in the squad after their respective back and foot injuries and both are expected to play some part tomorrow night.

On Parker's absence Roeder said: "Everybody saw Scott pick up a bad bang on his knee against Charlton and, while tomorrow will come too early for him, we are anticipating that he will be OK to play against Sheffield United on Saturday."

When United arrive in Palermo they will find it's a public holiday in Italy and are hoping this does not affect their plans to train in the Renzo Barbera Stadium, the scene of tomorrow night's tie.

Do my eyes decieve me?

Noticed against Charlton that he is looking a lot slimmer. Good luck Albert, can't help feel it's you last chance.

Wouldn't be suprised if Glenn started him up front on his own.  bluecry.gif

What Glen means to say is "Luque will be the scapegoat for a beating tomorrow"..  He's going to be playing against a team currently top of Serie A with the reserve team around him.. what a great opportunity eh..

EDIT: Well if this squad is correct (and I'm doubtful considering it includes Given and Rossi...) then perhaps Roeder could still put out a decent team:

Harper, Krul, Forster, Given, Taylor, Moore, Bramble, Ramage, Huntington, Bernard, Solano, Emre, N'Zogbia, Butt, Milner, Troisi, Pattison, O'Brien, Luque, Rossi, Sibierski, Carroll.

I'd be happy enough with:

......................Harper

Ramage.. Taylor.. Moore.. Bernard

Solano..  Butt..   Emre..   N'Zogbia

...............Sibi...   Luque

I doubt it though, he'll probably start the kids and play Luque up front on his own

Wouldn't be suprised if Glenn started him up front on his own.  bluecry.gif

I'll be satisfied as long as this wasn't the case.

Heh, what Glen means to say is "Luque will be the scapegoat for a beating tomorrow"..  He's going to be playing against a team currently top of Serie A with the reserve team around him.. what an opportunity eh Rolling Eyes

He'll need a few more Luques the way we've been losing games :D

What Glen means to say is "Luque will be the scapegoat for a beating tomorrow"..  He's going to be playing against a team currently top of Serie A with the reserve team around him.. what a great opportunity eh..

Thank you.

This is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. Roeder is clueless.

Oh, and for the record, it's Roeder's comments in the press that I am against.

Do all the supafans remember their reaction when Robert came out and put pressure on his teammates ahead of Lisbon? This is what Roeder is doing now. The cunt.

Guest Action Verb

Thank you.

This is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. Roeder is clueless.

Oh, and for the record, it's Roeder's comments in the press that I am against.

Do all the supafans remember their reaction when Robert came out and put pressure on his teammates ahead of Lisbon? This is what Roeder is doing now. The ****.

What comments were they then?

i think that the "the ball is very much in his court" comment is a load of fuckin shite - we all know, that unless he scores at least two, plays brilliantly and we win, roeder will prefer ameobi over him anytime.

if only this was a real chance for luque i'd be chuffed - but i'm dead certain that roeder'll never use him as a preferred option...

but good luck to the lad tomorrow!

Guest Gemmill

Does T4L even understand the concept of soopafans?  Quite a random reference to soopafans in his swipe earlier on in the thread.

Here's hoping Luque starts - and is dragged for "disciplinary reasons" just like John Beresford was by KK all those years ago. Then someone who really should be getting a chance, like Troisi or Carroll can come on... :D

Troisi and Carroll have had there chance, they've been named on the first team squad, they should have scored by now, lazy bastards!

Delighted he's starting. Just watched that video on the main page. Anyone on the site who slates Luque for not having talent, then your all idiots. I can understand him getting shit for his work rate, but dont doubt the mans talents.

The difference for me is, watching that video compliation he looks really happy, but the way he has been treated over here by management, press and fans then no wonder he doesnt want to play for the so called "Mighty Toon".

The song was so appropriate in that video too.

What I can't understand though is the lads who watched the reserves play said he was utter shite , had no interest at all. So how on earth is he getting a start ? or are we just so desperate we have no choice but to play him.

I agree 100%

Roeder should be fukced with a ragmans trumpet for coming out with a statement like he has, man management 1 out of 100.

By the way, if Luque scores a hat trick, wins MOM and goal of the season, Rodent will still drop him in favour of anyone who can get into a black and white shirt. Roeder wasn't my choice but I still wished him well when he got the job and initially he made all the right noises. The stuff he is coming out with now just reeks of amateurism and pettiness.

Guest Geordie Dancer

Glad Luque finally starts a game, although we're going to be up against it tomorrow.

Why does Roeder reveal this now though?

Lets the opposition know who is playing, so they can plan for it! He did the same with Rossi, against Charlton. If he had kept this to himself, it surely would've been an advantage, as Palermo wouldn't have been expecting it. Look how surprised we are that he's getting a start! If he'd waited until the last minute, we just might have stolen a march on them... Maybe..

Glad Luque finally starts a game, although we're going to be up against it tomorrow.

Lets the opposition know who is playing, so they can plan for it! He did the same with Rossi, against Charlton. If he had kept this to himself, it surely would've been an advantage, as Palermo wouldn't have been expecting it. Look how surprised we are that he's getting a start! If he'd waited until the last minute, we just might have stolen a march on them... Maybe..

Because he's a wanker????????

Good point, shame Roeder doesnt think like that..