Life in the UK Test

indi

Do you have what it takes to be allowed to stay in the UK?

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

This is someone's personal website, so I guess we can ascribe the spelling mistakes and poor grammar to them, but as for the questions, fuck me they're totally ridiculous!!

"Where is Santa Claus from?"

"What are the two characteristics of civil servants?"

- Friendliness and efficiency

- Long holidays and quick service

- Political neutrality and professionalism

- Political correctness and slow but careful service

That's got to be a piss take, hasn't it?

Apparently, it's: Political neutrality and professionalism.

Definitely a piss take!

I haven't finished yet, if I ever do then I'll post my score, but it's 55 pages so you need to be seriously bored or committed to do it all.

Guest LucaAltieri

Bit of a mixed bag this:

# What do people do on April 1st:

Go horse-racing

Attend church

Play tricks on each other

Have demonstrations in Trafalgar Square

# The Good Friday Agreement was signed in:

# Prime Minister is not a important person

True

False

# How many young people under the age of 19 are there in the UK?

15 million

25 million

10 million

20 million

Bit of a mixed bag this:

# What do people do on April 1st:

Go horse-racing

Attend church

Play tricks on each other

Have demonstrations in Trafalgar Square

# The Good Friday Agreement was signed in:

:lol::lol:

Apparently no-one has actually been rejected on these tests either!

Don't know how true that claim was though...

That's just spin by the media.

Plenty of people have failed them, but you're allowed to keep trying until you pass, so they do. You have to have already passed the test to apply for citizenship/indefinite leave to remain, so if you send in your application without having passed they'll simply reject it and you'll lose your money (£655 for a single adult, more for a couple or family!). Loads of people have their applications rejected for various reasons, so for it to be spun like it is by whatever source you read that in is misleading and deliberately so.

The fact of the matter is that the immigration system in this country has become a huge source of revenue for the government, people are being bled dry because the government knows it can get away with it due to the fact that the majority of the population couldn't give a fuck about immigrants and many people, including the majority of the mainstream media, are actively against them. Things like the Life in the UK Test serve two purposes; raising money and providing a sop to the red-neck racist element in society, there is little practical purpose to such things in their current state.

It's not 55 pages long btw. That's just 55 different sets of questions. Each test gives you 45 minutes to answer 24 questions.

Yeah, I worked that out, eventually! :lol:

45 minutes to complete a test of 24x55 questions. I know we have a problem with immigration, but that's just harsh. :lol:

FWIW My missus took this last month.

Three weeks to learn the book, 4 minutes to pass the test.

When she phoned up to book the test initially she was told she couldn't as: "The applicant has to book the test themselves". They're obviously not expecting many applicants who can speak a decent level of English.

Spot on about it being a cash cow Indi. The wife's British passport is going to cost about £1,500 all told.

FWIW My missus took this last month.

Three weeks to learn the book, 4 minutes to pass the test.

When she phoned up to book the test initially she was told she couldn't as: "The applicant has to book the test themselves". They're obviously not expecting many applicants who can speak a decent level of English.

Spot on about it being a cash cow Indi. The wife's British passport is going to cost about £1,500 all told.

Where I work we check people's applications for citizenship, it's frankly embarrassing telling them how much it's going to cost them for the Home Office to process their application and that they can expect to wait 6-8 months to hear back from them, maybe longer.

Actually, one of the main benefits of the increased price for indefinite leave to remain is that it's £750 for 4 month processing or £950 for next day processing. When it was £350 and £550 we would have felt we had to wait, but now we're just going to sod it and get the next day service it would save so much hassle.

ILR and citizenship are virtually the same thing indi. Once you have ILR, citizenship is merely a matter of going to some ceremony with the mayor and reading off an oath. AFAIK the length of time it takes depends solely on when the next free ceremony slot is.

Oh yeah, and paying an extra £400odd.

ILR and citizenship are virtually the same thing indi. Once you have ILR, citizenship is merely a matter of going to some ceremony with the mayor and reading off an oath. AFAIK the length of time it takes depends solely on when the next free ceremony slot is.

Oh yeah, and paying an extra £400odd.

Sorry to break this to you, but it's not.

Like I said I deal with this every day at work.

There's: an application form; various pieces of evidence that need to be provided; a requirement to have been living in the UK for the last 3 years (in your wife's case) or 5 years (for someone who's not married to a UK national) and a limit to how many days out of the country you can have had in that time; a need to have been granted ILR if you're married to a UK national and to have held it for more than a year if you're not; you can't have any criminal convictions, apart from very minor driving offences (basically if you've been to court, you're screwed), if you have then you have to wait until they're "spent" and then the 3 or 5 year period begins after that, if it's a serious offence it's never going to happen and then you have to have passed the test or gained an ESOL with citizenship.

Even then, once you've submitted your application and paid your (exorbitant) fee, you're going to be waiting for 6-8 months minimum before being invited to the ceremony at which you'll get your certificate and a passport application form, you then have to apply for your passport and go through the same process and pay the same fee as everyone else does.

I'm really sorry if I've just pissed all over your parade but that's how it is, like I said I work in a register office and this is one of the main things we do. I have people coming in and shouting at me about how long it takes and what a shit process it is to be put through almost every day. All I can do is agree with them and try to get them to understand that it's not my fault and that they should be shouting at the Home Office, as it's theirs.

Ah well, we're not really in any hurry anyway. Once she has ILR then that's good for most things except going on holiday, which we can't afford to for a while anyway thanks to the bloody application fees.

Thanks for the advice anyway mate.

Well good luck with it mate, I hope everything comes together for you and it will I'm sure. I just hate how stupidly hard they've made it, not to mention the frankly extortionate cost of it, which is a total disgrace. Most people are under the impression that it's a piece of piss, due to the scandalously inaccurate reporting of it in the media and that totally fucks me off. It's really fucking hard to get into this country, I know, having had friends who have been through it, having some direct experience of it myself and through dealing with people who are trying to do it on a daily basis. The vast majority of the population haven't got a fucking clue, but are under the impression that they do.