Central defenders.....who we could have bought?

Incognito

How did we miss Radhi Jaidi and Bruno N'gotty who performed adequately for Bolton and have now stepped down a level to play for Brum.They are both infinitely better than Roeders first choice pairing of Bramble and Moore.

Cant be much good if they were released by Bolton and only Brum took an interest, but they would have been better bets then Bernard. The real free transfers we missed are now playing for Portsmouth and Middlesbrough

Jaidi was decent wasnt he?

Scored some goals too!They are both faster,better in the air and have a higher concentration level than our two,and OK only Birmingham came in for them but how many clubs do you think would come in for Titus?

Lescot is a cracking centre half, and I wish we'd signed him.

A gamble.

Would have went against us, no way could he have coped with the pressure.

Sol C was the one we should of nabbed.

Glenn is a wankaaaaaaaaa......

Lescot was outstanding at SJP this season, and the Everton fans really rate him.

We'll see how he turns out in time. Campbell would have been great, but he wasn't entirely risk-free. I don't see how you can know Lescot wouldn't have handled the pressure though.

Lescot was outstanding at SJP this season, and the Everton fans really rate him.

We'll see how he turns out in time. Campbell would have been great, but he wasn't entirely risk-free. I don't see how you can know Lescot wouldn't have handled the pressure though.

Who can?

Certainly his head couldn't.

Sol Campbell would have improved our defence 500%, his presence alone would be enough to make sure people perform.

Only 500%?

Sounds drastic, but really your understating the fact.

I think Campbell influence has been overstated personally. He is part of an extremely well organised (Courtesy of Tony Adams) defensive unit, and he is surrounded on all sides by experience and quality. James, Stefanovic, Primus, Glen Johnson with his head screwed on, right up thru Sean Davis and Benjani, it all makes a big difference defensively. Obviously a good player but hes no miracle worker.

Sol Campbell would have improved our defence 500%, his presence alone would be enough to make sure people perform.

Only 500%?

I think Campbell influence has been overstated personally. He is part of an extremely well organised (Courtesy of Tony Adams) defensive unit, and he is surrounded on all sides by experience and quality. James, Stefanovic, Primus, Glen Johnson with his head screwed on, right up thru Sean Davis and Benjani, it all makes a big difference defensively. Obviously a good player but hes no miracle worker.

Agreed, watered down Titus.

Only 500%?

Agreed, watered down Titus.

Yep, though individually he would undoubtedly have helped us, the organisation and management there is working. Ours is not.

Only 500%?

Even though I have the greatest of contempt for him, I think you are underestimating his ability to organise a defence massively.

Only 500%?

Even though I have the greatest of contempt for him, I think you are underestimating his ability to organise a defence massively.

I can only go off what I see. Over the past year or so Campbell has declined horribly. Now he's moved and is playing well again, I think its only fair to credit his new surroundings.

Guest Ridzuan

Ive said it many times before that we should have gone for Fabio Cannavaro after Italy won the World Cup.

Why stop there - why not get Grosso, Nesta and Zambrotta too? :roll:

That is because Cannavaro was the only one that wasnt being chased by many clubs and furthermore,Cannavaro is the greatest among them all.

Guest sharath

Ive said it many times before that we should have gone for Fabio Cannavaro after Italy won the World Cup.

But why would he choose you when clearly Real madrid was in for him. There is no match b/n madrid and newcastle.  blueupset.gif

Stop chating about Cannavaro. I live in Spain and I'm watching Cannavaro's fallen, Real Madrid's defense is like a gruyere cheese.

We have to fight with the weapons we have and try to make a hard defense. Maybe Butt can play backwards, Carr-Butt-Taylor-Babayaro.

Talking about future buys... "Barragan" is a great and young defender (now plays in Deportivo de la Coruña) and "Ayala" wants to leave Valencia F.C. (maybe too old, but till 35 he will play strongly).

Guest Ridzuan

But why would he choose you when clearly Real madrid was in for him. There is no match b/n madrid and newcastle.  blueupset.gif

Of course we dont have anything to offer to him like Real madrid does.What Im trying to say we should have at least try to go for him whether Ream Madrid wanted him or not.Who knows he might change his opinion about us and decided to join us if we have tried to go for him in the summer.Afterall,our defence and Real Madrid defence is pretty much similar.