Newspapers

Giselle

Times.

What's this for? A-Level or HEFC English Language is my guess.

I remember doing a report comapring newspapers at school, and I did a similar thing at College before I went to uni.

Tabloids

The Sun - Right Wing

The Daily Star - Right Wing

The Daily Mail - Right Wing

The Daily Express - Right Wing

The Mirror - Centre Left

The Morning Star - Extreme Left (Communist)

'Quality Papers'

The Daily Telegraph - Right Wing

The Times - Right Wing

The Independent - Centre/Slightly Left

The Guardian - Left Wing

Torygraph os "traditional" Tory, huntin' shootin' & fishin' and all things Royal, hanging & flogging right wing

The Time is a Murdoch mouthpiece in favour of all things American, SKY, sceptical about Yurop & the Royals, teh Markets, low taxes

The Guardian is for teachers & local Govt workers

The Indie dithers in the middle but is strongly anti Bush

I remember doing a report comapring newspapers at school, and I did a similar thing at College before I went to uni.

Tabloids

The Sun - Right Wing

The Mirror - Centre Left

'Quality Papers'

The Times - Right Wing

The Guardian - Left Wing

For general interest really. About to make a decision on which newspaper to pick up daily and thought I'd just ask around to see which ones are which.

Tabloids

The Sun - Right Wing

The Mirror - Centre Left

'Quality Papers'

The Times - Right Wing

The Guardian - Left Wing

For general interest really. About to make a decision on which newspaper to pick up daily and thought I'd just ask around to see which ones are which.

buy them ALL one day (or go to the Library Reading Room) and see how they treat the same "news"

It comes from the  French Revolution - in the Assembly the conservatives/pro monarchists sat on the right hand side of the  chamber (looking from the Speakers chair) and the extreme revolutionaries on the left hand side of the chamber - thus Right Wing/Left Wing

In the UK that's Tories/Conservatives/National Front/BNP on the right; Liberals in the Centre and Labour/ILP/Communists/trots on the Left

These days in the USA you'd say the Republicans are Right and the Democrats Left (tho it was different historically)

It comes from the French Revolution - in the Assembly the conservatives/pro monarchists sat on the right hand side of the chamber (looking from the Speakers chair) and the extreme revolutionaries on the left hand side of the chamber - thus Right Wing/Left Wing

In the UK that's Tories/Conservatives/National Front/BNP on the right; Liberals in the Centre and Labour/ILP/Communists/trots on the Left

These days in the USA you'd say the Republicans are Right and the Democrats Left (tho it was different historically)

In my opinion, there is no mainstream right wing party in the UK (discounting the vile BNP). The Tories and Labour are both now centrist parties - Labour centre-left, the Tories centre-right, but actually to the left of Labour on things like climate change and the same on tax and spend and drug classification etc.

The Lib-Dems are significantly to the left of Labour on social issues, taxation and several other things.

It comes from the  French Revolution - in the Assembly the conservatives/pro monarchists sat on the right hand side of the  chamber (looking from the Speakers chair) and the extreme revolutionaries on the left hand side of the chamber - thus Right Wing/Left Wing

That's interesting, I didn't know of the origin of these terms. So right wing is broadly to conserve the status quo and left wing is revolutionary...so there really can never be a centre.

Then you have to find out what it is exactly that is to be conserved and what revolutionary means (it's not just change but widespread change on a big scale), because it seems that if applied to America, the evangelical Republicans would be revolutionary (at least wanting a change to more christian values and merging between religion and state), so they'd be left wing, and the Democrats would be right wing, conserving in the sense of the mixed economy.

Aren't the terms left wing and right wing today used in describing parties based on the following characteristics?:

Not Religious-------------------------------Religious

Left-------------------------------------------Right

Planned Economy--------------------------Free Economy

Left--------------------------------------------Right

Personal Freedom---------------------------No Personal Freedom

I.e abortion

No Political Freedom----------------------Political Freedom

I.e free speech, free assembly, free press etc

I think the terms are used in the latter case rather than based upon the terms as used when originated.

I don't think the late Senior Senator for Arizona, Barry Goldwater, would have agreed that "right" = "No Personal Freedom"

or Ayn Rand either

They're just labels

One of my favourites is that someone was purged in CHina in teh late 60's for

"Rightist-leftist tendencies" - I can't see a way you can defend that charge...........    bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

Guest Invicta_Toon

Tabloids

The Sun - Right Wing

The Mirror - Centre Left

'Quality Papers'

The Times - Right Wing

The Guardian - Left Wing

The Sun has got boobs  :thup:

I don't think the late Senior Senator for Arizona, Barry Goldwater, would have agreed that "right" = "No Personal Freedom"

or Ayn Rand either

They're just labels

"Rightist-leftist tendencies" - I can't see a way you can defend that charge...........    bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

It's not necessarily all characteristics, sometimes a few, sometimes only one, when people ascribe a person or party to a wing.

Republicans are supposed to be right wing, are generally religious, not free market, don't value personal freedom, respect political freedom.

or Ayn Rand either

They're just labels

It's not necessarily all characteristics, sometimes a few, sometimes only one, when people ascribe a person or party to a wing.

Republicans are supposed to be right wing, are generally religious, not free market, don't value personal freedom, respect political freedom.

Welfare state is the main issue for right/left I think. Left being supporters of this, right being against (or at least not as open to it as left).

I.e abortion

I think the terms are used in the latter case rather than based upon the terms as used when originated.

I don't think you can put it in terms quite like that. There are and have been since the birth of 'modern' politics in the late 18th century been Libertarians (those in favour of personal freedoms) on both the left and right. If you look at the US, there are millions of Americans who are right wing, but see Personal freedom as an inherent right. It was also one of the fundamental beliefs of right wing thinking in Victorian Britain's Laissez Faire attitude, and that welfare systems to provide for the poor was state intervention that impinged upon the rights of personal freedoms. Similar thoughts were revived during Thatcherism.

When people describe Nazi's and Neo-Nazi's as right wing, what characteristic (s) are they describing?

On Sky News earlier today they mentioned the rise of Neo-Nazi's in Russia which they said were right wing, all that I saw was racist violence, so it seems as though that was the characteristic they was describing as right wing.

I.e abortion

I don't think you can put it in terms quite like that. There are and have been since the birth of 'modern' politics in the late 18th century been Libertarians (those in favour of personal freedoms) on both the left and right. If you look at the US, there are millions of Americans who are right wing, but see Personal freedom as an inherent right. It was also one of the fundamental beliefs of right wing thinking in Victorian Britain's Laissez Faire attitude, and that welfare systems to provide for the poor was state intervention that impinged upon the rights of personal freedoms. Similar thoughts were revived during Thatcherism.

Hardly, only the left were a) lassez-faire and b) wanted a welfare state (or close to it). I'll add more later, at work.

Hardly, only the left were a) lassez-faire and b) wanted a welfare state (or close to it). I'll add more later, at work.

a) The right (ie the tories as opposed to the free trade liberals of Vicky's day) were also in favour of laissez faire.

They resisted all the public health acts until the Thames stank so much they could barely sit in parliament.

b)  The welfare state created after WW2 was supported by both parties, and by and large still is (even after a few variations)

If you were still referring to Vicky's time the tories passed several key acts later on in her reign which showed they were in favour of some form of governmental responsibility for the poorest in society.

Here's a decent link from wiki that gives a rough idea of who did what in Vicky's time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom#19th_century_Prime_Ministers

Sorry if I've jumped in before you can explain yourself fully but at this point your original staement looks a bit flawed