The Joystick.

Guest lankybellwipe

Guest lankybellwipe

When I was a child, before the advent of the 'games console' we got games for our ZX Spectrum, Spectrum +3, Amstrad 128K, and later Amiga or Atari ST.  Where the console of today, offers a 'control pad' the (shit) computers of yesteryear required you use a 'joystick'.

For users like King Kev, a 'joystick' was basically a tool you would grip, not unlike a fighter jets' control stick, with fire buttons similarly placed, and rubber suctions cups on the bottom, to allow you to stick it to your Beano, and wedge it between your legs, which, after 3 days of use, by an over heavy handed child, would break, resulting in another shit one being bought from the same outlet.

My question is, can you still get joysticks for todays' home amusement arcades? Or are they to remain a figment of my beloved past, and which do you prefer to use?

Guest lankybellwipe

They're still commonly used for flight sims and that on PC.

Ooooooh aye!

I remember F16 - Interceptor on the Amiga. I could have sworn I was in Top Gun sometimes y'know!

Guest lankybellwipe

I remember smashing at least 2 of them when playing Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga 500+

The good old days  :smug:

Aye that and Striker.

loved that  O0

I remember smashing at least 2 of them when playing Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga 500+

Aye that and Striker.

loved that   O0

fuck knows why, but i always used to play as Steaua Bucharest on that game. Marius Lacatus scoring goals like it was going out fashion.

Guest lankybellwipe

Aye that and Striker.

loved that   O0

fuck knows why, but i always used to play as Steaua Bucharest on that game. Marius Lacatus scoring goals like it was going out fashion.

leagues were fackin addictive!

Guest lankybellwipe

Think i had something resembling

http://www.cbmhardware.de/misc/joystick/39.jpg

That looks like the pretty durable one I had  :thup:

Guest lankybellwipe

The thing that annoyed me is that the one I had for my Commodore 64 would never stick to the desk properly. The suckers were shit.  A bit of an over enthusiastic jerk to the left or right would send it flying.

Oh dear Peter!  You must have lost a lot of lives whilst throwing your joystick all over the shop, playing Rambo and that, or Commando!  :weep:

my mate had a texas insruments consol c1981, the graphics were ahead of anything else at the time.

the joystick movement was rapid,..touch to the left...your character was straight to the left of the screen without hesitation,. touch to the right,..straight across to the right...anything in the middle was a real challenge.

Think i had something resembling

http://www.cbmhardware.de/misc/joystick/39.jpg

I had that one too!

Quickshot 2's were the nuts. The competition pro was good as well but you got cramp in your palm quite a lot as i remember.

Those suckers were deadly. A bit too much forward pressure and your fist was off toward your portable telly screen

Guest Heneage

I remember using a joystick for Crimson Skies on the PC. A lad I know had like a 70 quid one that let yu adjust the plane speed with a small accelerator on the side and stuff, class it was.