Best records of 2008?

GG

It seems now as though most places are releasing their top albums of the year etc. What have you enjoyed most that's been released this year?

Personally, I'm yet to come to a complete conclusion and am still yet to finish forming an ordered top 10, but the following albums have a strong chance of featuring:

Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes

The Dodos - Visiter

Deerhunter - Microcastle

No Age - Nouns

Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

Air France - No Way Down EP

Animal Collective - Water Curses EP

Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now Youngster.../We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair

Pete and the Pirates - Little Death

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Portishead - Third

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing

Holy Fuck - LP (Although this may have been 07)

Atlas Sound - Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel

Lindstrom - Where You Go, I Go Too

The Very Best - Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit are the Very Best

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (If it leaks before the new year, I'm sure it'll be there!)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (If this is technically 2008)

Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping

Okkervill River - The Stand Ins

Best songs of the year for me (it's a lot shorter, I promise):

Laura Marling - New Romantic (It may have been released last year as B-Side, though)

Los Campesinos! - My Year In Lists (although all of their singles are utterly fantastic)

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

Portishead - Machine Gun

Bon Iver - Skinny Love

The Dodos - Fools

Animal Collective - Water Curses

Vampire Weekend - A-Punk (despite the annoying levels of radio play)

Although my highlights musically this year, on a personal level, were more expanding the levels of my auditory discovery, finding the wider discographies of Radiohead, Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Super Furry Animals, The Flaming Lips, Belle & Sebastian, Broken Social Scene, The Boo Radleys, The Cure, Joy Division, The Smiths, Massive Attack, The Moldy Peaches (and Kimya Dawson + Adam Green as individuals), New Order, Sigur Ros and Wilco, which has been a greater revelation in itself. Especially considering that up until about this time last year, my listening habits mainly comprised of utter tosh. There's been a fair amount of decent stuff this year, although unfortunately most of it came in the first few months of 2008, in my opinion, with more to look forward to early next year, glossing over the latter months of 2008.

What have been your musical highlights of 2008?

People Under the Stairs - Fun DMC

Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque

Tech N9ne - Killer

Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer

The Roots - Rising Down

United Nations - United Nations

Girl Talk - Feed the Animals

Murs - Murs for President

Fear Before - Fear Before

Moka Only - Carrots And Eggs

The (International) Noise Conspiracy - The Cross of My Calling

Johnny Truant - No Tears For The Creatures

Nas - Untitled

Spylacopa - Spylacopa EP

Walls of Jericho - The American Dream

A lot of the music I listen to is electronic, and there is obviously much less of a reliance on albums in that scene. If I had to say what my favourite tracks would be, it would definitely include:

Noisia - Stigma

Geiom - Reminissin

Celldweller - Switchback (Razorblade remix by Neuroticfish)

Black Sun Empire & Concord Dawn - Crime Side

AC Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats remix)

Krafty Kuts ft. A Skillz - Happiness

Peverelist & Appleblim - Circling

RSD - Pretty Bright Light

Girl Talk - Play Your Part, Pt. 2

Nero - Something Else

Moby - Alice (Noisia remix)

Skream - Filth

Celldweller - Own Little World (Drop mix by Drop)

Metrik - Zero Gravity

2562 - Moog Dub

Rumblejunkie - Dope Angel (Antiserum remix)

There's no doubt more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

What have been your musical highlights of 2008?

The only two that really matter. 

A musical highlight of mine this year (and is every year) was going to The Fest in Gainesville, FL.  I always have a good time and this year was no exception.  The two best moments at The Fest were seeing Austin Lucas and Polar Bear Club.  Both of those bands put on a great show but PBC just totally killed it.

Go to 4:30 on this video to see what I mean:

The vocals on the video are pretty bad but the crowd makes up for it.

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement

The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

Late of the Pier - Fantasy Black Channel

Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Those Dancing Days - In Our Space Hero Suits

Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

I just heard about Los Campesinos! the other day, haven't had time to listen to them yet, though from what I've heard, it sounds like a band I should check out.

Guest firetotheworks

Ive been lazy as fuck with listening to new stuff this year. But Ive been most impressed with the following artists in general:

M83

Clark

Squarepusher

Holy Fuck

Glassjaw

Passion Pit

MGMT

Those Dancing Days

Friendly Fires

Sia

Alphabeat

Saturday = Youth by M83 has definitely been my favourite album and I urge you all to ch ch ch ch ch ch check it out.

Ive been lazy as fuck with listening to new stuff this year. But Ive been most impressed with the following artists in general:

M83

Clark

Squarepusher

Holy Fuck

Glassjaw

Passion Pit

MGMT

Those Dancing Days

Friendly Fires

Sia

Alphabeat

Saturday = Youth by M83 has definitely been my favourite album and I urge you all to ch ch ch ch ch ch check it out.

Good to see I'm not the only one who likes them! Are you from Sweden, btw? If not, great to see that they've got some fans elsewhere in the world!

I just heard about Los Campesinos! the other day, haven't had time to listen to them yet, though from what I've heard, it sounds like a band I should check out.

Yes, you really should.

I personally didn't think their second album was all that, but when revising for my GCSEs, I pretty much had their first album on a loop the whole time.

Yes, you really should.

I personally didn't think their second album was all that, but when revising for my GCSEs, I pretty much had their first album on a loop the whole time.

Their first album is indeed better, but the second one is still decent enough.

Guest LucaAltieri

Yes, you really should.

LucaAltieri's album review:

Shite. Next.

Guest firetotheworks

Ive been lazy as f*** with listening to new stuff this year. But Ive been most impressed with the following artists in general:

M83

Clark

Squarepusher

Holy f***

Glassjaw

Passion Pit

MGMT

Those Dancing Days

Friendly Fires

Sia

Alphabeat

Good to see I'm not the only one who likes them! Are you from Sweden, btw? If not, great to see that they've got some fans elsewhere in the world!

Nope, Im from the fair city of Newcastle upon-Tyne and live in the less than fair city of Leeds. I saw them live a few weeks ago and to be honest I thought they were pretty poor. They werent even charming in a lo fi way, just kind of emotionless and samey throughout. They definitely benefit from the way their album was produced imo.

Guest LucaAltieri

The best lo fi band going at the moment is ... blah blah some crap band.

Isn't that like being the most intelligent drummer? Or the coolest boy scout? A sort of "best of a bad bunch" non-compliment.

Ive been lazy as f*** with listening to new stuff this year. But Ive been most impressed with the following artists in general:

M83

Clark

Squarepusher

Holy f***

Glassjaw

Passion Pit

MGMT

Those Dancing Days

Friendly Fires

Sia

Alphabeat

Nope, Im from the fair city of Newcastle upon-Tyne and live in the less than fair city of Leeds. I saw them live a few weeks ago and to be honest I thought they were pretty poor. They werent even charming in a lo fi way, just kind of emotionless and samey throughout. They definitely benefit from the way their album was produced imo.

Fair enough. Didn't make it to their gig here in Stockholm (where both me and them are from), but I've heard they were good enough. In a way, I'm just happy that a Swedish band like them have fans elsewhere, as there certainly aren't a lot of Swedes who knows about them.