Emre "PALERMO DON'T SCARE US"

Skirge

Oh well atleast Emre is confident.  :thup:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cups/uefacup/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/11/02/SOCCER_Newcastle_Emre.html

Newcastle midfielder Emre has urged his team-mates not to fear Serie A high-fliers Palermo in tonight's UEFA Cup clash in Sicily.

The 26-year-old Turkey international spent four years in Italy with Inter Milan and he has been impressed with the start Francesco Guidolin's side have made to the domestic season.

Sunday's 3-2 victory at Fiorentina kept the Sicilians level on points with Inter at the top of the table.

However, while Emre insists the Magpies must respect their opponents he believes the implications of the match-fixing scandal which rocked Italian football during the summer have given an artificial appearance to the league.

He said: "When I played at Inter Milan, I played only twice against Palermo.

"They now have a strong team with good players. When I was at Inter, they did not have a team like the one they have now.

"But there have been problems in Italy this season with Milan and Fiorentina losing so many points and Juventus being relegated to Serie B.

"Palermo have played well, but I believe if Juventus were okay, if Milan were okay, if Fiorentina were okay, they would not be at the top.

"They have a strong mentality at the moment because they have won a lot of games.

"But we have played well in the UEFA Cup. It should be a good game because I think Palermo and Newcastle are the two best teams in this group."

An injury-ravaged Newcastle side flew out without captain Scott Parker, strikers Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi and Damien Duff, Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro.

Manager Glenn Roeder included youngsters Tim Krul, Fraser Foster, Paul Huntington, Matty Pattison, Alan O'Brien, James Troisi and Andy Carroll in his squad, yet remains hopeful of adding to the three points the Magpies claimed against Fenerbahce last time out in Europe.

Saturday's 0-0 Barclays Premiership draw saw Roeder's men slip to 17th place in the league table, but despite their domestic woes, defender Peter Ramage is confident they will turn the corner and hopes they can start tonight.

Ramage said: "It has been tough because we have been playing well. That is the annoying thing.

"All it takes is a bit of luck. We need one to go in off a backside or the back of somebody's knees or something.

"That is all we need at the minute, just to get that win. Our performances have deserved that, but we just have not been getting the wins.

"We have got about 17 games before Christmas, which is a lot of football.

"But to be honest, the players would rather have that. We missed out on Europe last season and it was a big miss for us.

"We wanted all the occasions Middlesbrough and the other teams were having in Europe.

"We are looking forward to all these games and hopefully we can stay clear of more injuries and come through it a better team."

Guest AceDeuce

What's he gonna do? Lose possession, give away needless free kicks and then try to start a fight with them?

oh stfu, fool...

Guest Gemmill

oh stfu, fool...

Only saying what I see.

Obviously you don't see much then.

He pretty much summed Emre up tbh.  He looks nice and neat in the centre circle, loses the ball CONSISTENTLY on the odd occasion he gets into advanced areas, and his free kicks and corners are shit.  His temper is also an issue.  Excellent player technically but woefully inefficient for Newcastle.

Guest Shotgun Mick
Obviously you don't see much then.

Coming from the person who would sell Parker ahead of Emre, I think you're having a laugh pal.

Guest Shotgun Mick

Well I think anyone who thinks Emre has been anything more than anonymous this season can be tarred with the same brush.

EDIT - Sorry he hasn't been totally anonymous, you notice him when he's giving away free kicks and getting booked after trying to be a hardman.

Guest TurkishToon

do the players give out these comments on their own? or does somebody go ask about the game etc?

this doesnt sound confident but cocky maybe a bit defensive imo...and why oh why we hate our own players so much whatever they say or do we find a piece to criticize???

coz they are in denial? i dont think so...they too know well theyve been playing like crap and am sure they dont feel good about it..

anyway, hope we surprise all the haters and win an away game...palermo has a solid defense, so we might not get many chances, maybe a freekick, corner, or a dead ball situation...but i am hopeful for a good match...

if only roeder stops playing souness tactics though...