The prospect of Joe Kinnear staying a few years....

Guest Howaythetoon

I just feel depressed when I think of having Kinnear as our full time manager. We'd be finishing mid-table....AT BEST. And then of course he'd be raiding the Championship for all these average players.

Even if Joe is to somehow miraculously get us into Europe this season, I still would'nt want him for the permanent job. We did it with Roeder and look where that got us. We NEED to get a class manager in to our club once Ashley finally sells up.

We couldnt of picked a worse time to plunge into turmoil and look for a buyer, could we? F*ck sake.

Guest Chris P

I just feel depressed when I think of having Kinnear as our full time manager. We'd be finishing mid-table....AT BEST. And then of course he'd be raiding the Championship for all these average players.

Even if Joe is to somehow miraculously get us into Europe this season, I still would'nt want him for the permanent job. We did it with Roeder and look where that got us. We NEED to get a class manager in to our club once Ashley finally sells up.

We couldnt of picked a worse time to plunge into turmoil and look for a buyer, could we? F*ck sake.

Stay depressed. We could be in 9 th tonight. Is that turmoil. Fucks sake

Guest Chris P

Stay depressed. We could be in 9 th tonight. Is that turmoil. f***s sake

Look, we can't get 4 points, the best we can do is 11th.

is it . ok still not bad

Stay depressed. We could be in 9 th tonight. Is that turmoil. f***s sake

I said the thought of Joe as our FULL TIME manager. Not caretaker.

And if you dont think the club is in turmoil, or has been, then open your f*cking eyes!

The Roeder situation is different, he came into the club and said from day one that he didn't want the job and nobody was harsh on him when we lost because it was "Good old Glen, he's only here as a favour and he'll be back with a academy soon" He was somebody that you felt would buckle under the pressure and he did just that, once the safety net was gone he was all over the place.

Kinnear is different in that he's deflected the pressure off of our players onto himself, he was right when he said that he felt that every game was a test because that is what he is judged on, you just have to read the swing in emotions on this forum after every game for proof of that, I don't think the pressure would be any different then to what it is now.

Don't get me wrong he wouldn't be my first choice and if we could get a top quality manager in then do it, but if we can't then I'd rather stick with him than go for the usual type of managers that are in the merry go round for Premiership jobs.

Guest LucaAltieri

'Mike has already mentioned the possibility of staying if the club are not sold,' he said. 'He told me: "You will always be with me as long as I'm here". I'm optimistic.'

Seems very real if Mike Ashley does intend to stay. That's as scary as Ashley still being in charge:kasper:

I find neither scary. What I do find scary is how regularly people get run out of the club.

I remember when Ashley first tookover and there was this article on his business practice and how he was only really comfortable when he surrounded himself with people he knew very well. Looks like this is basically what this comes down too. Same principles in the hiring of Wise etc.

It's what he should have just done from the outset tbh. Now he's finally doing it, it should hopefully mean that we begin to see some better direction from the club hopefully.

As long as we continue to perform and bring in good players I would be willing to give it a chance.

fuck off Redknapp!

"Joe's done a great job there, he's another sensible guy who knows the game.

"He's been terrific so I'd like to see him keep the job on a regular basis because he's done well."

Guest LucaAltieri

I remember when Ashley first tookover and there was this article on his business practice and how he was only really comfortable when he surrounded himself with people he knew very well. Looks like this is basically what this comes down too. Same principles in the hiring of Wise etc.

It's what he should have just done from the outset tbh. Now he's finally doing it, it should hopefully mean that we begin to see some better direction from the club hopefully.

As long as we continue to perform and bring in good players I would be willing to give it a chance.

Yeah, a manager's role is 90% motivation. He's managed to get a couple of decent games out of Shola so he has my vote for the time being. Everything else can come from the club structure. So long as the setup is right then I don't see the need for any major changes any time soon.

I think it's the idea that Ashley thinks Kinnear has done well that scares me - 2 or 3 good results out of 13 games or whatever it is, is not a recipe for success.

Did you think Keegan done well then?

Last season he did yes - not just to boost him in my eyes I was convinced in January that we were going to relegated.

As I've said before, the main disappointment of this season is that considering the volatility of the league, I think even with what I consider to be an under-strength squad Keegan would have had us higher. With a bit more ambition in the market I think he could have pushed Villa.

I think the view that we could have and may still "get away" with having an under-invested squad and finish in quite a decent position is one that sickens me because of what could have been.

Of course this may look different on Feb 2nd with what I think will happen.

I don't understand why people are so harsh on Kinnear who is clearly doing a heck of a job all things considered.

People keep taling about getting "a quality manager" in, but who are we talking about? It's something that is so difficult to get right and there are no guarantees. We've seen what just happened with Ramos at Tottenham for example.

Kinnear clearly has the respect of the players as well as the respect of the owners which is huge and is half of the battle at football clubs. The real next test he has to pass is in the recruitment of players. If he nails this then I see no reason why he shouldn't be given an opportunity. January is key.

I'd dispute both of those - continuing poor results and recruitment is hearsay at the moment.