Scouting players - what would you look for in a player?

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

With the January transfer window about to open up we'll no doubt be looking at several players, but what would you look for in a player if you were a scout?

For me technical ability is priority number 1, if a player has a reasonable amount of technical ability he should be able to play anywhere.

Character is priority number 2, a player needs to have a good character, be an honest pro and be willing to learn and commit to a new adventure.

What about you?

With the January transfer window about to open up we'll no doubt be looking at several players, but what would you look for in a player if you were a scout?

For me technical ability is priority number 1, if a player has a reasonable amount of technical ability he should be able to play anywhere.

Character is priority number 2, a player needs to have a good character, be an honest pro and be willing to learn and commit to a new adventure.

What about you?

A fine hairy pair of legs means stamina. The onset of baldness as it show high testosterone and aggression levels. Tidy fingernails as it shows attention to detail. A well groomed mustache as it indicates a certain degree of close control. And maybe someone who also has an exciting and diverse wardrobe, as it shows a certain flair that may well be mirrored in his style out on the pitch.

Failing that, I'd probably just leave it to a professional setup like wot Wise was running.  :razz:

Guest LucaAltieri

Intelligence. Technique can be worked on so it's not massively important if they're rough around the edges. Someone who knows where to position themselves and where to put the ball in order to create opportunities. That's more what we need right now.

The never ending fascination of football is that every player is different. They each have their unique mix of qualities and it's a matter of assessing the package. No-one's perfect and there are different jobs to do on the pitch.

My particular hobby horse is getting in a pair of strong centre backs. That's the foundation of any good side.

i'd say physical strength, passing ability and i'd look at the person as well as the footballer. too often we've had good players, but their attitudes have been a letdown. thats why im warming to the bullard link.......not the greatest technically, but you know youll try his hardest. its stating the obvious, but sometimes thats all you need.

Surely this would depend on what position they play.

Correct. It's also dependent on the player's age, and how badly we need him. Sometimes you look for certain things when you come across a young player, and hope to develop them for the future (e.g. Bassong). You look for different things when you're prepared to pay big bucks for a seasoned pro (e.g. Coloccini).

Agreed though HTT, technical ability and character are two of the most vital elements along with understanding of teamwork and football skill application on match day (otherwise known as BOTTLE).

pace and decision making. the best teams are those with the best decision makers. you can have all the ability in the world but if you cant pick the right pass then what use is it.

Agree with that.  Technique can be improved but these two "natural talents" cannot.

Guest firetotheworks

Attacking Midfield - Someone with the mentality of Jonas whose natural position is attacking midfield, can beat a man and can score from midfield.

Left Back - Someone to give competition to Enrique, preferably around the same age with a more attacking mentality. Not Riise.

Centre back - Someone to replace Cacapa. Same kind of player but with premier league experience.

Guest firetotheworks

Pace (particularly in today's game), intelligence (e.g. decision making) and technique, to combine pace and intelligence into success.

What about for Everton Lien? Do you still need a right back?

Pace (particularly in today's game), intelligence (e.g. decision making) and technique, to combine pace and intelligence into success.

Surprisingly Neville has been canny recently, less irritating than usual. Ideally yes we do, but we have bigger concerns, i.e. a quality attacking mid.

All of these things are well and good, but a book I have had for years, called "with Clough by Taylor" [by Peter Taylor] in chapter 4, Peter Taylor says what he looked for in players, and he was taught by a man called Harry Storer.

"yes I agree that the lad can play, but can he play when he has a big angry bloke trying to stop him". He (Storer) scouted for Everton as an old man when he finished management but they still remember receiving from him a short report on a player. It was one word in capitals across the reporting form. COWARD. He also said that Storer once had a centre forward playing for him, and at half time in a game bawled him out in the dressing room, saying to him "get out there now and show me the hole"....the player said "what hole" not knowing what he was talking about, and Storer said "the hole that you've disappeared into for the last few games"

Look on this in different ways, I have learned since that Clough and Taylor - allied this to the determination to make things happen, the ability to control a ball and find a man when under pressure, and the real burning desire to win whatever the circumstances.

Anybody can look good and pose around in midfield, hit nice chipped passes. Taylor says he slightly disagreed with Storers' mega-hard judgement in this area, and decided that he thought that although some players lack physical courage, they made up for it by having moral courage ie the ability to try courageous things with the ball, just so long as they had desire and had the right mental desire to do what they were good at as often as possible ie John Robertson maybe fell into this category, he seemed like just an average 2nd division player at Forest until Clough and Taylor got hold of him, and Frank Clark says that he is the best player he ever played behind as a full back. He told me that as a defender playing behind him, he could just give him the ball, he would never lose it and would find his man or put in a good cross, he was always confident that Robertson wouldn't have him put under pressure again.

In so far as what Newcastle United need, we still need a central midfield with pace who will get a few goals and a central striker, who we have needed for almost years.

Surprisingly Neville has been canny recently, less irritating than usual. Ideally yes we do, but we have bigger concerns, i.e. a quality attacking mid.

is Cahill for sale like ?

is Cahill for sale like ?

Not that I know of. Just, imo, he's average at best. Very limited player.

And in a 4 man midfield, he looks utterly lost.

All of these things are well and good, but a book I have had for years, called "with Clough by Taylor" [by Peter Taylor] in chapter 4, Peter Taylor says what he looked for in players, and he was taught by a man called Harry Storer.

"yes I agree that the lad can play, but can he play when he has a big angry bloke trying to stop him". He (Storer) scouted for Everton as an old man when he finished management but they still remember receiving from him a short report on a player. It was one word in capitals across the reporting form. COWARD. He also said that Storer once had a centre forward playing for him, and at half time in a game bawled him out in the dressing room, saying to him "get out there now and show me the hole"....the player said "what hole" not knowing what he was talking about, and Storer said "the hole that you've disappeared into for the last few games"

Look on this in different ways, I have learned since that Clough and Taylor - allied this to the determination to make things happen, the ability to control a ball and find a man when under pressure, and the real burning desire to win whatever the circumstances.

Anybody can look good and pose around in midfield, hit nice chipped passes. Taylor says he slightly disagreed with Storers' mega-hard judgement in this area, and decided that he thought that although some players lack physical courage, they made up for it by having moral courage ie the ability to try courageous things with the ball, just so long as they had desire and had the right mental desire to do what they were good at as often as possible ie John Robertson maybe fell into this category, he seemed like just an average 2nd division player at Forest until Clough and Taylor got hold of him, and Frank Clark says that he is the best player he ever played behind as a full back. He told me that as a defender playing behind him, he could just give him the ball, he would never lose it and would find his man or put in a good cross, he was always confident that Robertson wouldn't have him put under pressure again.

In so far as what Newcastle United need, we still need a central midfield with pace who will get a few goals and a central striker, who we have needed for almost years.

Nice input. Out of interest, any players you think fit the bill?