Wigan Athletic vs Newcastle United- 26/12/08 - Pre-match thread

gray

Guest LucasUnger

1-0. Owen 53 min.

It'll be a scrappy game with a few good chances missed by both sides but in the end Owen will do what he does best.

watching gilmore girls won't help us though

Tough game but we must get 3 points.  We badly need these 3 points because honestly we will lose against Liverpool and we need to have a respectable position in the table in order to attract players in the coming January.

A must win game imo.

Tough game but we must get 3 points.  We badly need these 3 points because honestly we will lose against Liverpool and we need to have a respectable position in the table in order to attract players in the coming January.

A must win game imo.

Dont think a draw would be a bad result considering how terrible we play there every season.

Obafemi Martins ruled out of clash against Wigan

JOE KINNEAR has already ruled Obafemi Martins out of Newcastle United’s Boxing Day match with Wigan Athletic at the JJB stadium.

But the United boss is banking on having the little Nigerian international back for Sunday’s high noon clash with Premier League leaders Liverpool at St James’s Park.

Martins missed yesterday’s 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur with the groin injury he picked up scoring United’s second goal away to Portsmouth seven days earlier.

Kinnear said after the match: “Oba will miss out at Wigan on Boxing Day, but I will be disappointed if he is not back for the Liverpool match.

“He did his groin when he scored at Portsmouth. From then he hasn’t had one day off the treatment table.

“On Saturday I took him off and he had a bit of a stretch, but he couldn’t do it. He was still getting pain, so I stuck him back on the treatment table.”

But if Kinnear was worried about not having the pace of Martins yesterday, his decision to send on Damien Duff for a late fling for Jose Enrique was certainly a winner after the Republic of Ireland international snatched all three points, leaving the usual ebullient Spurs boss Harry Redknapp stony-faced on the final whistle.

Kinnear said: “I have been brave and taken the left-back off.

“There was nothing to lose. I don’t know how long there was left, maybe six minutes including injury time, so it was a case of telling Duffer to play as high up the pitch as he possibly could.

“I told him ‘if you can create or get us a goal, we’re quids in – don’t worry about defending’.

“I thought that area, on the left-hand side, was Tottenham’s weakest area. Thankfully, these things come off for you once in a while.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/22/obafemi-martins-ruled-out-of-clash-against-wigan-72703-22529131/

It's a tough one because I think we will miss Martins away from home but I'm hoping our defence with it's new mean streak will get us a point.

Aye, we will miss him, he is a fantatsic outlet for us.

How many headers did Viduka win yesterday? None that i can remember. No point trying long ball against Wigan then, Owen doesn't really work the channels so it'll be up to the wide men to make the game for us i reckon. Unless Titus just hands it to us, of course...;)

Can anyone that was at the spurs game enlighten me as to how Enrique went. Highlights on sky talked up his performance while match report in the times basically said he was woeful. Wonder if JFK is considering starting duff at LB where if I remember correctly he has performed ok for us in the past.l

He was injured for ages before he went off but the ball just wouldn't go out for a throw. All this bollocks that JFK is spouting about it being an offensive substitution are just that, bollocks. Enrique signalled to the bench that he had felt his hamstring and then kept signalling that he was crocked and wanted to come off for about 10 minutes before he was finally subbed. I reckon he'll be doubtful for this weekend personally.

Can anyone that was at the spurs game enlighten me as to how Enrique went. Highlights on sky talked up his performance while match report in the times basically said he was woeful. Wonder if JFK is considering starting duff at LB where if I remember correctly he has performed ok for us in the past.l

He was injured for ages before he went off but the ball just wouldn't go out for a throw. All this bollocks that JFK is spouting about it being an offensive substitution are just that, bollocks. Enrique signalled to the bench that he had felt his hamstring and then kept signalling that he was crocked and wanted to come off for about 10 minutes before he was finally subbed. I reckon he'll be doubtful for this weekend personally.

he couldve brought on taylor or edgar instead. taking off a left-back and bringing on a left-winger is an attacking sub, whether or not it is precipitated by an injury.

he couldve brought on taylor or edgar instead. taking off a left-back and bringing on a left-winger is an attacking sub, whether or not it is precipitated by an injury.

You're missing the point. JFK made it sound as if the substitution was purely tactical whereas it was forced by the injury to Enrique.

Very difficult game to call. However if we play away on Boxing Day (and ffs when was the last time we had a home game on BD?) we usually get beat so i'm not overly optimistic.

A point wouldn't be the end of the world.

You're missing the point. JFK made it sound as if the substitution was purely tactical whereas it was forced by the injury to Enrique.

i dont know what he said and i dont know whether it was tactical or forced by injury, but it was an attacking substitution and he deserves credit for it.

Guest Darth Toon

If Martins is out, is there an argument for playing Duff and alternating him, Zog and Jonas up front with Owen?

If we're trying to play on the break, I worry about Viduka up top when he still looks far from fully fit.....

If Martins is out, is there an argument for playing Duff and alternating him, Zog and Jonas up front with Owen?

If we're trying to play on the break, I worry about Viduka up top when he still looks far from fully fit.....

Duff, as I said in the summer will only ever be effective when coming off the bench late on and exploiting tired legs.

He shouldn't start unless we're down to the bare bones, ie Smith and Shola

Guest sicko2ndbest

Imagine how our side would look with 3 of their players

Given

Beye Colo Bass Jose

Valencia Palacios Barton Jonas

Owen Zaki

Martins

Butt

Guthrie

Taylor

Viduka