Harsh

Syrette

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5389038.ece

Surgeons were battling to save the arm of a postman today after he was mauled by a pair of rottweilers while he was delivering Christmas cards in Cambridge.

The 54-year-old was attacked in Gazeley Lane, Trumpington, Cambridge, yesterday morning near a detached house in the quiet, suburban street. His life may have been saved by Anthony Lunn, a bricklayer, who tried to beat the dogs off with an iron bar before running one of them over in his van.

A police spokeswoman said the injuries sustained by the postman were “horrific” and that his arm was ripped by the powerful dogs. “He was very seriously injured and will be fearful about the use of his arm,” she said.

Mr Lunn, 44, said he intervened when he heard the postman screaming. "The police said we saved his life. But I only did what anyone else would have done,” he told the Cambridge Evening News.

"I ran over with an iron bar. When I approached the dogs, they both ran at me. I retreated back to my van and ran one of them over. But every time I got out of the van, the other dog came at me.

"I got on the phone to the ambulance and police, and kept revving the engine to distract the dog until it stopped mauling him. It eventually stopped, but after a long time. He was in a huge amount of agony."

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: "We are shocked by this incident and will be urgently investigating as to what happened. In the meantime, our thoughts are with our colleague and his family."

An ambulance was called at 10.45am and soon after paramedics arrived the East Anglian Air Ambulance landed at nearby Clay Farm to give additional support.

It is thought that the two dogs were still in the vicinity while emergency workers treated the injured man. An ambulance service spokesman said crews had been "traumatised" by the incident.

When the dogs’ owners returned to the scene they took the animals to a vet to have them destroyed.

A police spokeswoman said today that the owners would be questioned by officers but that the incident may have taken place on private land, which may mean the Dangerous Dogs Act does not apply.

The act makes it a criminal offence “to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place”. It is unclear whether the postman had stepped on to private property or passed through a gate when the attack took place.

He was being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital today.

The man was just doing his job, no-one deserves that.

Guest lankybellwipe

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5389038.ece

Surgeons were battling to save the arm of a postman today after he was mauled by a pair of rottweilers while he was delivering Christmas cards in Cambridge.

The 54-year-old was attacked in Gazeley Lane, Trumpington, Cambridge, yesterday morning near a detached house in the quiet, suburban street. His life may have been saved by Anthony Lunn, a bricklayer, who tried to beat the dogs off with an iron bar before running one of them over in his van.

A police spokeswoman said the injuries sustained by the postman were “horrific” and that his arm was ripped by the powerful dogs. “He was very seriously injured and will be fearful about the use of his arm,” she said.

Mr Lunn, 44, said he intervened when he heard the postman screaming. "The police said we saved his life. But I only did what anyone else would have done,” he told the Cambridge Evening News.

"I ran over with an iron bar. When I approached the dogs, they both ran at me. I retreated back to my van and ran one of them over. But every time I got out of the van, the other dog came at me.

"I got on the phone to the ambulance and police, and kept revving the engine to distract the dog until it stopped mauling him. It eventually stopped, but after a long time. He was in a huge amount of agony."

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: "We are shocked by this incident and will be urgently investigating as to what happened. In the meantime, our thoughts are with our colleague and his family."

An ambulance was called at 10.45am and soon after paramedics arrived the East Anglian Air Ambulance landed at nearby Clay Farm to give additional support.

It is thought that the two dogs were still in the vicinity while emergency workers treated the injured man. An ambulance service spokesman said crews had been "traumatised" by the incident.

When the dogs’ owners returned to the scene they took the animals to a vet to have them destroyed.

A police spokeswoman said today that the owners would be questioned by officers but that the incident may have taken place on private land, which may mean the Dangerous Dogs Act does not apply.

The act makes it a criminal offence “to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place”. It is unclear whether the postman had stepped on to private property or passed through a gate when the attack took place.

He was being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital today.

The man was just doing his job, no-one deserves that.

That bloke who took part in 'Climbing for Dollars' in The Running Man certainly did

I used to be really afraid of dogs because of a paper round from when i was a kid.

Got over it somewhat now

You'd still be very afraid if you saw a rottweiler about to jump you.

Do people need to have this particular breed? I don't see why they can't just go for safer alternatives, if they know the potential risks.

Rottweilers are one of the nicest dogs if they are harmless. Best time to get them is when they are about 6 weeks old, treat them as a house/family dog and it shouldn't have a bad bone in its body. Keep it out the back and dont bother with it like alot people do with dogs and it will be abit aggressive.

I used to be really afraid of dogs because of a paper round from when i was a kid.

Got over it somewhat now

Do people need to have this particular breed? I don't see why they can't just go for safer alternatives, if they know the potential risks.

I know people who have some absolutely lovely/harmless "rotties"

Its how they are brought up

Rottweilers are one of the nicest dogs if they are harmless. Best time to get them is when they are about 6 weeks old, treat them as a house/family dog and it shouldn't have a bad bone in its body. Keep it out the back and dont bother with it like alot people do with dogs and it will be abit aggressive.

Is the dog being armless a gag about the postmans arm?

If so you're a really sick fuck, Decky.

Got over it somewhat now

I know people who have some absolutely lovely/harmless "rotties"

Its how they are brought up

K. I don't know a lot about them to be honest.

So the dogs get executed for only doing what comes naturally to them. That's harsh.

Yeah, I didn't say it wasn't. That (sadly) is a fairly regular occurrence though.

So the dogs get executed for only doing what comes naturally to them. That's harsh.

it's natural for man to use whatever means are at his disposal (even the law if necessary) to eradicate things that attempt to rip his arms off.