Cheerful thought at Xmas - 6th by season's end?

Rob W

I use Mike Wrays fantastic spreadsheet to keep track of the PL - he has a very good prediction record as well

It's currently showing us 6th by May  - not quite as mad as you'd think as withe right results tomorrow we could go as high as 8th  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Chelsea

Manchester United

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Arsenal

Newcastle United

Everton

Fulham

Wigan Athletic

Sunderland

Tottenham Hotspur

Bolton Wanderers

Manchester City

Stoke City

Hull City

Portsmouth

West Ham United

Middlesbrough

Blackburn Rovers

West Bromwich Albion

In all honesty, 6th spot is absolutely there for the taking. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to be wrong, I can't see us being consistent enough to be the ones to take it.

I think we can be. All we need is some quality buys in crucial areas and we will get the job done.

At the moment 6th is very achievable for a lot of clubs (as is relegation). Will we get 6th? I'd like to think so but we have a good record of throwing away opportunities. Not that I think Kinnear is amazing but it would be interesting to see where we would be now if he'd taken over as soon as Keegan left. 'What If' is a story of most Newcastle United seasons.

Guest sicko2ndbest

John Salako on Soccer Special now saying we're a "top 6 or 7 side for definite".

What was pinnochios response

What else did he say?

John Salako on Soccer Special now saying we're a "top 6 or 7 side for definite".

What else did he say?

Phil Thompson was saying that if we've offered Owen a decent contract, he'll probably sign it. Solako was just saying that the injury problems seem to be going away, N'Zogbia being moved back to left-wing, Gutierrez coming in, Coloccini adapting well and Kinnear making us hard to beat and having Owen, Martins & Viduka will always mean we'll score goals, and reckons we're a top 6 or 7 side.

Guest sicko2ndbest

What else did he say?

Phil Thompson was saying that if we've offered Owen a decent contract, he'll probably sign it. Solako was just saying that the injury problems seem to be going away, N'Zogbia being moved back to left-wing, Gutierrez coming in, Coloccini adapting well and Kinnear making us hard to beat and having Owen, Martins & Viduka will always mean we'll score goals, and reckons we're a top 6 or 7 side.

Cheers, nice to see/hear some positivity for a change

What else did he say?

Cheers, nice to see/hear some positivity for a change

I can remember him saying we would be fighting for a top 4 spot, the season we bought Owen.

People should just keep their feet on the ground and not expect to much atm. Personally i'd be happy with a top 10 finish.

What else did he say?

There's absolutely no question, as far as i'm concerned, that this squad is of top 6/7 standard. Especially this year - with Villa making it the 'top 5' this year, there are several teams who could and couldn't finish sixth. Similarly with the relegation race, i can see it coming down to the last two or three games of the season.

Whether we're there or not... i highly doubt it - but it's funny what a couple of wins can do isn't it? ;)

Thank f*** we got Ginola instead of him though.

Robert > Zenden

Bellamy > Jeffers

We do sometimes get the rub of the green.

I always wonder how Robson's legacy would have been here had Zenden & Jeffers not turned us down.

or had we got Miguel and Carrick instead of Butt and Carr.

Robert > Zenden

Bellamy > Jeffers

I always wonder how Robson's legacy would have been here had Zenden & Jeffers not turned us down.

Ha, that's irrelevant. We were guaranteed to go down that year with Bobby, it was simply going to happen. (Hall. D)

Robert > Zenden

Bellamy > Jeffers

Would we have been in that position to get those two though had we got the original choices 3 years earlier. ;)

Always liked Jonny Solako ;) (i forgive him).

I am sure I met him years and years ago but it was a bit of a random place for him to be. How old is he now? Might have been before he was really famous.

IIRC, he was supposed to have signed for us but transfer  was called off due to failed medical.