Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle – 26/12/08 - Post-match reaction from page 23

midds

was a sending off (bassong) but wasn't a pen.

not sure ours was a pen.

cattermole didn't play the man in the way some are trying to make out and those on here saying he should have walked wouldn't be saying it had it been one of ours.

How wasn't ours a penalty? :lol:

Kirkland missed the ball and punched Carroll in the head! If that's not classed as a penalty then I'm stumped as to what is.

cos it didn't seem anywhere near enough to impede the player and the keeper was going for the ball.

other way round and you wouldn't say it was a pen.

It doesn't matter if he was getting the ball or not. Keepers get away with stuff like all the time. Think that was the only good thing Dean did all match. Keepers get a free-kick for the slightest touch from a corner or whatever, and then he comes charging out, misses the ball, and punches a player in the head and expects to get away with it.

didn't punch him.more of a swipe, and had the ball fell to carroll i very much doubt he'd have gone down.

Now you're just being picky. A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player strikes or attempts to strike an opposing player. Kirkland didn't deliberately set out to hit him, but he did and was punished for it according to the letter of the law.

thats like saying if any contact is made before contact with the ball then it's a free kick

Isn't that pretty much the exact definition of a free-kick? :lol:

watch a football match...thats covers almost every fair tackle

No it's not. A fair tackle is when the balls taken first. A free-kick is when a defender goes through the player and then gets to the ball.

so no nudges from the side,no using an arm or hand to fend someone off ?

None of them are classed as 'a tackle'. When you attempt to tackle the ball but make contact with the player before the ball that's a direct free kick.

how many times does the arm or hand make first contact with the opposing player during a tackle/tussle and it isn't a free kick,or the hips or knees ?

i always think if a player uses his arms etc it's a free kick if it impedes the opposition...if not call it's basketball for feet.

Yes but in this case the arm was being used to go for the ball as opposed to a foot. The hand missed the ball, hit the players face and impeded him. Penalty just as much as it would be if it were a foot missing the ball taking the player and impeding him.

i see it more as the player makes an attempt for the ball,misses and touches the opposing player but nowhere near enough to impede him....however there was contact.

i'd say no pen unless i see it again and think it impeded him. which i haven't saw on three watches.

The penalty wasn't for impeding him, it was for striking him. It sounds picky, but there it is.

was it ? then he should've been sent off for striking an opponent. (don't watch any corners ...your head will explode)

Ahhh well actually it wasn't a red card as it wasn't deliberate and wasn't considered serious foul play or violent conduct. It was however classed as unsporting behaviour, hence the yellow card.

I have no idea what Butt is doing on a football pitch. That was one of the worst displays I've ever seen from a Newcastle United player. The diving, the head-down passing, the lack of awareness, the fact that he completed more passes to a Wigan player than to ours.. jesus christ, what a player. What a fucking player.

At the end, after everything, after the Heskey dive, after the ref booked Carroll for diving, after the inevitable Duff miss, after the expected no-show from Owen, after the fat fuck Viduka walking down the tunnel, after the stupid fucking cunt Mike Dean losing any semblance of control over the match, after all of that, I was as close to punching the television as I've ever been in my life. We've played worse, we've had shittier refs taking charge, we've had worse luck and even worse misses (DUFFFF!!!!), but the combination of it all, yesterday, was un-fucking-believable.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just watched Football First

Summary

- Guthrie was tidy

- We played the ball around well first 20 minutes with no real penetration apart from the Owen chance which was from a great ball by Duff. Owen should have been sharper very similar to his pompey goal/chance

- Wigan had far more penetration in forward area with Heskey, Zak and Valencia

- Sorry Shay but your positioning for the free kick was poor. To beat you on the far side of your goal the ball travels 3-4 meters further so there is no need to favour that side. If you stand in the middle of the goal you save that free kick. Walls are ineffective when free kicks are that far out as good 'Beckhamesque teachnique' players have no trouble getting up and down from 25-30 yards out

- Palacios and Butt play the same role but that is where the comparisons end. Palacios is so effective at keeping the ball ticking over

- Sending off and penalty were harsh to say the least, especially given that Heskey was offside in the first place. Heskey was too strong for Bassong and hopefully that will be a lesson to him to stay right side.

- Carroll made a difference when he came on

- Duffs first touch for his chance was shocking making the shot far more difficult than it needed to be

- Carrols was a definate pen

Wigan were the more potent team on the day and deserved their win, but on another day we could have salvaged something at the end

Guest Heneage

Right I've seen all the incidents now on MOTD. And all I can say is  even if we didn't deserve to win it those decisions are vital, how many times do we see Man Utd play truly shockingly but win a game because of a penalty etc, they did it yesterday thanks ot the red card.

The free kick is a shocking dive, I wasa big  Zaki fan reminded me of Shearer big tough goal scorer, but the more you watch the more I find him to be a diving con-man. Di Canio put it best in a recent interview "I want to beat the man I play because I am better, not because he has a problem (Like diving/injury) for me that is not football" Heskey's the same, 6 of 1, 1\2 dozen of the other, both pulling each other but benefit goes to the attacker, well not even benefit sheer bias as Heskey ambles a good 20-25 yards before taking his olympic dive, the fact he's not being touched when he falls only makes it worse.

I mean the most baffling one is the Andy Carroll dive, the ref is stood in the perfect position, and you can see Browns foot scrape down the back of his leg it is clear as day yes there's motive to dive last minute 2-1 but its clear as day, I would say the same ahd it been Zaki and Butt, but then maybe he'd have got it being the established striker and not the youngster. Notice how I also said Wigan wouldn't drop Zaki.

Also I think Bruce's justification of Cattermoles tackle shocking, admit you have a dirty player who goes in too hard show a set of balls man for christ sakes.

Here's hoping we get the same luck at home to Liverpool.

Guest daveaha

- Sorry Shay but your positioning for the free kick was poor. To beat you on the far side of your goal the ball travels 3-4 meters further so there is no need to favour that side. If you stand in the middle of the goal you save that free kick. Walls are ineffective when free kicks are that far out as good 'Beckhamesque teachnique' players have no trouble getting up and down from 25-30 yards out

I have to agree with this.  Somehow I had a bad feeling when Taylor is going to take the freekick, and Shay is rather to the "left" hand side of the goal.  He shd be standing rather to the center as if the ball travels at the same speed to the left or right -  he could cover both sides.

I have to agree with this.  Somehow I had a bad feeling when Taylor is going to take the freekick, and Shay is rather to the "left" hand side of the goal.  He shd be standing rather to the center as if the ball travels at the same speed to the left or right -  he could cover both sides.

The problem is if you stand in the middle of the goal on free kicks, you want see the ball before its over the wall. The wall yesterday was to big(5-6 men in it+some wigan players) so Given had to stand that much to the left if he was gonna see the ball. But this is really something the coaches and det goalie should have been working on the training-ground.

Guest toonlass

From the tv footage the most baffling thing for me was their pen. Ok Bassong was pulling him all over, but the linesman was flagging it well before the box. It should have been brought back to the original incident rather than a pen given, aye?

From the tv footage the most baffling thing for me was their pen. Ok Bassong was pulling him all over, but the linesman was flagging it well before the box. It should have been brought back to the original incident rather than a pen given, aye?

nah. read back in this thread

Nah, just update me, I can't be arsed to trawl all the way back.

the ref doesn't have to bring the play back to the original incident. bassong was fouling hiom all the way to the edge of the box. the ref could have took it to almost any point.

Every Mag at the JJB knew Taylor was going to score as soon as he put the ball down.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that Given seemed to not know what was coming.

His free kick last year went into Given's side of the net, might have went through his mind as he seemed to hesitate when he moved across.

Every Mag at the JJB knew Taylor was going to score as soon as he put the ball down.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that Given seemed to not know what was coming.

His free kick last year went into Given's side of the net, might have went through his mind as he seemed to hesitate when he moved across.

bottom line is, Given is found wanting when he has to use his head. The rest of the time he's a good keeper

Quote from Kev when the foul was commited. " Taylor will score here, and i will just laugh when it hits the back of the net. "

He did that, i found it funny aswell actually, everyone knew it was coming, as soon as i seen where Given was standing