West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If West Ham get promoted (hope not btw), then I can see them going in for Carroll. He would fit Allardyce's style of play/tactics plus Carroll would be reunited with Nolan.

and quite possibly barton.

Aye, can see a potential Barton transfer happening too. It'll mark the return of the set piece routine: Barton --> Carroll's head --> Nolan goal

We've got defensive signings to make first, expect a LB and a cb in before any talk of an expensive third striker.

I do think it's inevitable he'll end up back here, it's the only place for him.

Why?

The club has moved on, we no longer play the way needed for Carroll to be provided with the type of balls Carroll plays off. We have 2 very good forwards. His wages will be a problem for us, he hasn't played well for 18 months and no doubt we have a hungry young cheap unknown striker/forward on the radar from some small European town.

Wages won't be a problem, it would for any other club looking to buy him but he'd cut his weekly wage in half to come back here. Other clubs no, they'll find him a lot tougher to negotiate with. Ba could be off in tne summer with his release clause as well, also think Cisse and Carroll could work together if were thinking about this summer, but I think it's probably another season away from moving due to price tag and wages. If Ba does leave though, I'd see us being interested.

Hungry? Carroll was more than up for it in our shirt.

I'd still have him back for the right money fee and wages-wise as I think he'd offer us something different.  I agree that we need defensive reinforcements first but if we were to flog Best for £4m-5m and get Carroll in for £10m-12m then I'd be very happy with our set of forwards.  Although perhaps we should be looking at someone who's more of a winger-forward I don't think you can ignore the fact that he was looking a world beater in the right environment for him, which is at Newcastle.

If he wants to come back, the Everton game is his big chance.

Come on at 75 minutes with Liverpool trailing by two goals, whip in a Shearer-esque 15-minute hat-trick, then dedicate the winning goal to his home town club's European qualification.

Our board are totally clued up, they'll take the yanks to the cleaners again if we do bring him back. They'll probably end up paying us for taking him back they sneaky bastards.  :lol:

Carroll wouldn't fit into our new style of play. I certainly wouldn't look to shift Cisse out wide to accommodate Carroll.

I think you deal with those situations as they come and Carroll wouldn't be a guaranteed starter just like anyone wouldn't.  We need depth and alternative methods of playing and he'd help in that respect.

I wouldnt want to change the formation with the players we have. But say we lost Ba, or just got another striker for depth, could Carroll play in the role on the left, switching through-out the game with Cisse? When you think back to him at his best, some games he seemed to be all over the pitch... at his best and fully fit, I think it may be possible (look at his run before the dive against us for example).

He is a good option from the bench, especially when we need to chase a goal.  Acceptable if it's below 10m and 60k wages.

Though possibly we could find a better option elsewhere.

started out in our reserves as a left back didn't he ?

i wonder ?

Started out as CB, then he got switched to ST, i remember during the last few month of him playing in the reserves before moving to the first team and while he was still between the first team and the reserves he was scoring goal's like crazy, was way too good to be playing at that level.

Ashley wouldn't buy back Carroll as there wouldn't be any scope to sell him on again for profit.

100% agree.

Of course we would. That's what we do: buy on the cheap, get some performances out of them, sell for a profit.

The guy still has potential, just needs to get back in the habit of having a night in once in a while. whether or not he'd have the right frame of mind to do that is another question.

Personally, I wouldn't want him anyway, but away from Liverpool, in the right environment, with a renewed focus he could be a quality player.

After really stepping up and improving rapidly when we gave him an opportunity he seems to have gone to Liverpool and not improved in the slightest.

With that in mind, I think the right thing for Liverpool to do would be to loan him out.

- Liverpool get him off the wage bill without having to admit defeat and take huge losses.

- Carroll gets the games he needs (presumably) with less of a spotlight as well as having to take on board the "it's not working out" message, which will hopefully spur him on to get better.

- Some third rate Prem team gets a beast of a workhorse on the cheap - that just isn't us.

Ashley wouldn't buy back Carroll as there wouldn't be any scope to sell him on again for profit.

100% agree.

Of course we would. That's what we do: buy on the cheap, get some performances out of them, sell for a profit.

The guy still has potential, just needs to get back in the habit of having a night in once in a while. whether or not he'd have the right frame of mind to do that is another question.

Personally, I wouldn't want him anyway, but away from Liverpool, in the right environment, with a renewed focus he could be a quality player.

After really stepping up and improving rapidly when we gave him an opportunity he seems to have gone to Liverpool and not improved in the slightest.

With that in mind, I think the right thing for Liverpool to do would be to loan him out.

- Liverpool get him off the wage bill without having to admit defeat and take huge losses.

- Carroll gets the games he needs (presumably) with less of a spotlight as well as having to take on board the "it's not working out" message, which will hopefully spur him on to get better.

- Some third rate Prem team gets a beast of a workhorse on the cheap - that just isn't us.

Don't see the purpose of him coming back here to sit on the bench.

Actually think he would right now, but I don't see us doing it, he would want big money too. I think Liverpool will have to loan him out, no way they will want to sell for anything under 10m, there is nobody that would spend that on him either. Loan him out and get his value back, its the only real option, could see him going abroad, Mclaren will probably be sniffing.

I wouldnt want to change the formation with the players we have. But say we lost Ba, or just got another striker for depth, could Carroll play in the role on the left, switching through-out the game with Cisse? When you think back to him at his best, some games he seemed to be all over the pitch... at his best and fully fit, I think it may be possible (look at his run before the dive against us for example).

No.

If Carroll is in the team we'd just go back to hoofing it, would give us a plan b, but...no just no. With Ba we have a striker who can do the plan b heading stuff as well the better footy anyway. That's the kind of player we need even if Ba goes.