Celebrate, good times c'mon!

Aphrodite

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/12/26/talk-of-the-toon-for-29-years-72703-22553121/

The Chronicle’s Chief Sports Writer Alan Oliver is retiring after 29 years covering Newcastle United, with Sunday’s Liverpool game his last.

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:MDdeuLjZnvdJoM:http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/85000/images/_86148_al_gore_addressing_jubilee_celebration_(300598)_150.jpg

I will.

Guest firetotheworks

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-...72703-22553121/

The Chronicle’s Chief Sports Writer Alan Oliver is retiring after 29 years covering Newcastle United, with Sunday’s Liverpool game his last.

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:MDdeuLjZnvdJoM:http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/85000/images/_86148_al_gore_addressing_jubilee_celebration_(300598)_150.jpg

I will.

In the words of Ralph Wiggum, You are soooooo 1991.

But nah, it was just a rumour before. Glad its been confirmed. Hopefully its not a case of better the devil you know though.

I will miss reading old Olly on my lunch break & seeing him in the Grainger Market buying his fruit :thup:

The time he hacked me off most was when Souness was in charge & I guess the word went out from SJP that they wanted Souness out, around the back end of Dec/Jan iirc & Oliver was gunning daily for the fucker to force him to quit. Souness did not & Fred had stump up the £££'s in Feb to get rid but I remember Al making out he was onto Souness for yonks when he clearly hadn't been.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

http://www.newcastlebanter.co.uk/2008/12/why-tyneside-will-miss-mr-newc.html

Why Tyneside WILL miss Mr Newcastle

By Neil Farrington on Dec 28, 08 11:30 AM in Columnists

HE man himself has never been shy of using the odd cliche, so I'll not stand on ceremony now . . .

Thing is, you see, I reckon Newcastle United fans will only know what they had in Alan Oliver now that he's gone.

Any player who racked up 1100-odd appearances for the Magpies across three decades would be immortalised in stone on Northumberland Street.

Yet, for some, familiarity with Olly, who covered at least that many Newcastle league games for the Evening Chronicle, our sister paper, seemingly bred contempt.

So to say my colleague is long overdue his due, as he filed his final Chronicle match report today, is an understatement.

First off, a suggestion: if you are one of those who have contributed to the dog's abuse Alan has received from certain Newcastle supporters, most notably in recent years, then go online and read some other local evening newspapers.

Actually, go read any other local evening newspaper -- for any significant length of time.

Then, you might begin to appreciate the service Alan Oliver has provided Newcastle's public these last 28 years.

You see, other local evening papers rarely, if ever, break big stories involving their local football clubs.

Injuries, suspensions, post-match reaction . . . such is their bread and butter.

Oliver? He all but single-handedly fed Chronicle readers a richer diet . . . of transfer exclusives, dressing-room disharmony, boardroom bust-ups and more -- and for nigh on 30 years.

While never claiming to be the best sportswriter around, he was a sports reporter -- a story-getter -- extraordinaire.

So much so that his tales came to be faithfully retold in the following day's national newspapers. Every day.

Where the London tabloids lead, most local papers merely follow. Up here, thanks to Olly, the opposite was true.

The flip side of which was that, after almost three decades, many took his story-breaking ability for granted, especially at times when they felt Newcastle's mounting off-field problems demanded more critical coverage than he provided.

Alan would acknowledge that he was often not as forthright as others in bemoaning boardroom failings at United, particularly in the Hall/Shepherd era.

But his was a newspaper which had played an active role in installing that regime.

And the relationships Oliver formed as a result -- relationships which earned him an incomparable string of exclusive United stories, an unrivalled insight into St James's Park and which are as rare as hen's teeth between genuine club insiders and journalists in a now "them and us" climate.

Alan lived and breathed the job; his working hours -- rising at stupid o'clock to be in the office at first light, waiting on players and managers outside dark and chilly football grounds when the last fan was back home -- an acknowledgement of his privileged position.

If you still insist that conscience should have come before contacts, then I guess you haven't had more than 8000 Chronicle back pages to fill since 1980.

And if you still condemn Alan Oliver as an apologist, you're not one of the innumerable players who have baulked at his criticism over the years, let alone one of the 14 Newcastle managers who, to a man, have done the same.

Say what you like about his club politics, but Alan always called it like he saw it on the pitch.

So farewell then, Mr Newcastle. I doubt we'll see your like again.

One day, more Newcastle United fans might regret that fact.

mackems.gif :jesuswept:

Oh. My. f***ing. God.

HE man himself has never been shy of using the odd cliche, so I'll not stand on ceremony now . . .

Thing is, you see, I reckon Newcastle United fans will only know what they had in Alan Oliver now that he's gone.

Any player who racked up 1100-odd appearances for the Magpies across three decades would be immortalised in stone on Northumberland Street.

Yet, for some, familiarity with Olly, who covered at least that many Newcastle league games for the Evening Chronicle, our sister paper, seemingly bred contempt.

So to say my colleague is long overdue his due, as he filed his final Chronicle match report today, is an understatement.

First off, a suggestion: if you are one of those who have contributed to the dog's abuse Alan has received from certain Newcastle supporters, most notably in recent years, then go online and read some other local evening newspapers.

Actually, go read any other local evening newspaper -- for any significant length of time.

Then, you might begin to appreciate the service Alan Oliver has provided Newcastle's public these last 28 years.

You see, other local evening papers rarely, if ever, break big stories involving their local football clubs.

Injuries, suspensions, post-match reaction . . . such is their bread and butter.

Oliver? He all but single-handedly fed Chronicle readers a richer diet . . . of transfer exclusives, dressing-room disharmony, boardroom bust-ups and more -- and for nigh on 30 years.

While never claiming to be the best sportswriter around, he was a sports reporter -- a story-getter -- extraordinaire.

So much so that his tales came to be faithfully retold in the following day's national newspapers. Every day.

Where the London tabloids lead, most local papers merely follow. Up here, thanks to Olly, the opposite was true.

The flip side of which was that, after almost three decades, many took his story-breaking ability for granted, especially at times when they felt Newcastle's mounting off-field problems demanded more critical coverage than he provided.

Alan would acknowledge that he was often not as forthright as others in bemoaning boardroom failings at United, particularly in the Hall/Shepherd era.

But his was a newspaper which had played an active role in installing that regime.

And the relationships Oliver formed as a result -- relationships which earned him an incomparable string of exclusive United stories, an unrivalled insight into St James's Park and which are as rare as hen's teeth between genuine club insiders and journalists in a now "them and us" climate.

Alan lived and breathed the job; his working hours -- rising at stupid o'clock to be in the office at first light, waiting on players and managers outside dark and chilly football grounds when the last fan was back home -- an acknowledgement of his privileged position.

If you still insist that conscience should have come before contacts, then I guess you haven't had more than 8000 Chronicle back pages to fill since 1980.

And if you still condemn Alan Oliver as an apologist, you're not one of the innumerable players who have baulked at his criticism over the years, let alone one of the 14 Newcastle managers who, to a man, have done the same.

Say what you like about his club politics, but Alan always called it like he saw it on the pitch.

That nothing but a pile of steaming horse shite.

At least in the new year I can look forward to strolling across the Bigg Market for a sandwich at lunchtimes without risking seeing that ugly twat's mug.

Last time I saw him he had massive sunglasses on and was waving at someone in KFC, I would've called him a cunt but I was too embarrassed to even speak to him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh. My. f***ing. God.

That surely has to be a  pisstake? I'm sure Farrington and Oliver don't get on. Funny as fuck either way.

Guest firetotheworks
:puke: at that article. Stopped giving him or the Chronicle the time of day after they reported that Martin O Neill won that next manager poll on the Chronicle website, despite it clearly being Hitzfeld.

Quote: “Being banned from the club by Kevin Keegan in his first spell in charge, and around the same time, one player telling me ‘you look like ****, I hope you’re dying’.

mackems.gif

Who actually said that ?

I think the latter part of that could be said for most people.

Never quite understood the hate really. Sure, he talks a fair bit of shite but then which journo doesnt from time to time.

Bit of a shame that he had to go out on such a crappy result.

Guest elbee909

that piece reads like an attempted explanation of why he was co crap, is that what its meant to be?

Strangely reads as if written by Anal himself, too.  Same poor writing style.

Many a time I picked up the paper and threw it down a minute later when I disagreed with the opening few sentences. Too many times it was like reading his column rather than the facts that he should have been reporting on. A person in Anals role, should be informing the public of the facts, stats and what happened rather than brain washing us with opinions.

Suppose it'll only be a matter of time before the next journolist abuses the same role . . .