Gaza & Israel [potentially NSFW]

27 minutes ago, 54 said:

Ignore the thumbnail etc, and the dude can be a bit shouty, but this is a great video.

The story in the middle is heartbreaking :( 

Ah, you're right about both.

He's a more optimistic man than me at the end there, but great sentiment and vid regardless. :thup:

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BlufPurdi said:

If rumours are true, he wanted to go on but was outnumbered by the rest of the cabinet. 

Of course he did. This is his play to stay in power. He'd be over the moon to let this go on until the deadline for the opposition to form its cabinet passes.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

1 hour ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Going to be depressing when this shit gets buried again until the next flare up.

Absolutely.

I think there was serious momentum building (more than usual) and they saw that.

That's not to say the ceasefire isn't fantastic news. But it'll bury the serious war crimes that have been going on. And will continue to do so. 

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Going to be depressing when this shit gets buried again until the next flare up.

Yep, ridiculous but they have Nuclear weapons. We need to ostracised them though and at least ban the sales of arms to them. 

Posted (edited)

Best [NSFW] the thread for a day or two until that drops off the current page. People could end up in all sorts of unexpected difficulties if that turns up in their What Folk Have Been Looking At On The Internet reports, depending on employers' views and sensitivities

Edited by OpenC

It's a great piece of art. Israel is forcibly removing a population from their homes to expand where their citizens can live and forcing a population to live in squalor due to in essence not being Israeli citizens. The two situations (early day forced re-settlement of Jews) are somewhat comparable and given Israels history and reason for creation it's ironic that in the year 2021 they are putting another population through what their ancestors went through.

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Best [NSFW] the thread for a day or two until that drops off the current page. People could end up in all sorts of unexpected difficulties if that turns up in their What Folk Have Been Looking At On The Internet reports, depending on employers' views and sensitivities

It was front page news on all our major newspapers over here, didn't cross my mind it was NSFW elsewhere. Put it in a spoiler.

• BlufPurdi changed the title to Gaza & Israel [potentially NSFW]
1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

It was front page news on all our major newspapers over here, didn't cross my mind it was NSFW elsewhere. Put it in a spoiler.

Yeah, your lot's not insane though. Sadly. A basket case over here.

6 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

It's a great piece of art. Israel is forcibly removing a population from their homes to expand where their citizens can live and forcing a population to live in squalor due to in essence not being Israeli citizens. The two situations (early day forced re-settlement of Jews) are somewhat comparable and given Israels history and reason for creation it's ironic that in the year 2021 they are putting another population through what their ancestors went through.

Waiting for someone to come along and blame Corbyn for painting it.

The sooner the world stops comparing everything to fucking Hitler the sooner it'll be in a better place mind.

Posted (edited)

It's not something we should even have to think about but I'd worry for anyone who worked in academia, for example, the way things currently are

Edited by OpenC

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Waiting for someone to come along and blame Corbyn for painting it.

The sooner the world stops comparing everything to fucking Hitler the sooner it'll be in a better place mind.

I think this comparison is fairly apt though given the history of Israel and the subsequent irony in what they are doing to another people. Obviously not every Israel citizen is a nutjob, and obviously the comparison is only applicable to the early days of of forcible re-settlement, but still, given their history you'd have imagined they'd not be completely tone deaf and realize what they're doing. 

We used to be pro-Israel over here until probably the early 2000s saw a massive swing towards pro-Palestine and now the only pro-Israel political party is the racist nutjob right wing party.

Edited by Kaizero

Posted (edited)

We should in most conversations stop comparing things to Hitler/Nazism. But if there is any conversation where he could be relevant, it is this one, surely?

Edited by Klaus

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I'm not getting into it but I don't agree the comparison is remotely justifiable myself, and I abhor the actions of the state of Israel.

Which country once forcibly removed an entire demographic from their homes and put them into a state-controlled zone where their human rights were neglected and/or ignored to allow for their own citizens to get better housing and land opportunities?

Edited by Kaizero

"I cannot help but hear echoes of the Nazi mythos of "blood and soil" in the rhetoric of settler fundamentalism which claims a sacred right to all the lands of biblical Judea and Samaria. The various forms of collective punishment visited upon the Palestinian people — coerced ghettoization behind a "security wall"; the bulldozing of homes and destruction of fields; the bombing of schools, mosques, and government buildings; an economic blockade that deprives people of the water, food, medicine, education and the basic necessities for dignified survival — force me to recall the deprivations and humiliations that I experienced in my youth." - Hajo Meyer

He naturally got accused of being an anti-Semite and anti-Israel for making that statement, casually ignoring the fact he was a jew once interred at Auschwitz and a Holocaust survivor.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Kewl

I didn't quote you this time :lol:  That's just an example in general regarding how you cannot speak out against Israel without being anti-Semitic or anti-Israel, when in reality one should be able to be critical of a current government and their current actions regardless of what happened almost 100 years ago. Me being critical against the way Israel is doing things and how they are treating Palestine and its people does not mean I hate Jews or the general concept of a Jewish nation state. I get far too annoyed at discussion not being able to happen because of a catch-all defense that doesn't apply to the actual discussion most of the time.

Edited by Kaizero