Not For Sale

Thespence
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Ashley - Official Statement

Mike Ashley, Owner of Newcastle United Football Club, today announced that the football club has been taken off the market. Speaking in the club's match day magazine he announced today's news and that he was committing to the club as its Owner.

The club had retained Keith Harris from Seymour Pierce to look at interested parties and there has been considerable interest over the last two months. However, Mike Ashley has decided to end the current uncertainty now to allow the club to continue to progress under the new management team led by Joe Kinnear.

Mike Ashley, Owner of Newcastle Footballl Club, said:

"I am happy to end the uncertainty fans may have had about the future direction of Newcastle United.

"I know just how important that is to you.

"I have withdrawn Newcastle United from the market, and for me 2009 will be the year in which we drive the Club forward together. Even when I haven't been at games I have remained a keen supporter, kicking and heading every ball and cheering the team on TV and being the first to congratulate Joe whenever there's a good result.

"When I took the decision to put the Club up for sale in September I made a point of saying two things were very important.

"Firstly, any potential buyer would have to show they had the best interests of Newcastle United at heart and had both the commitment and finance to be worthy custodians of such a fine football club before I would even consider doing a deal.

"And secondly, I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this Club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1501450,00.html

After the 'charm' offensive via the national rags over the past couple of months this is no real surprise.  The ball is now in Ashley's court - he has a month to prove that he is willing to invest in the club - twenty million of his own cash (as he promised he would (but hasn't so far) plus the missing Sky money would be a dream, actually ending the transfer window having spent money is a necessity.  Otherwise, it's back to September for him.

Guest Bolton Zulu

What have you guys done to deserve this? Just when you think that there can't be another twist in the "Bugger the Newcastle fans about" saga, another hand grenade is lobbed in.

It's a joke - and you deserve better. (And that's from an outsider.)

Good news. The timing may be prompted by the fact that new players may be reluctant to come if there's uncertainty over the ownership, and therefore the manager.

In the current financial climate, no-one's going to lend anyone money to buy a football club. The only potential new owners would have had to pay cash, and we shouldn't be surprised that there's no-one in that category.

He will have to make some big cash availble in the January window to prove to the fans he is commited after releasing a statement like that. If he doesn't the transfer window will end the same as the last one.

Guest Brazilianbob

Its about time too.  However, I wouldn't expect to see too many stars, if any at all, coming through the doors in Jan, but it won't be Ashley's fault if that's the case, because clubs know we want to strengthen and are slapping on silly prices much like we have done with N'Zogbia ie £11m quoted to Villa.

If we want to bring in 4 quality signings it is going to take at least £40m - £50m in my opinion and Ashley just isn't going to sanction that sort of spending and I personally don't blame him for that.

Guest The Toon Army from farawa

However, Mike Ashley has decided to end the current uncertainty now to allow the club to continue to progress under the new management team led by Joe Kinnear.

This is what frightens me.

He's only here because no one else would, he's cost us points with tactics and subsitions.

He's got his favorites, Duff, Butt and Ameobi, who are championship at best.

Mike Ashley has took us off the market.

whoooo hoooooo !!!

finally the madness will end.

lets start backing EVERYONE!!!!

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7084/alansmithro7.jpg

The state of the club and squad at the minute mean that we will even have to give full backing to this shitehouse as well.

What have you guys done to deserve this? Just when you think that there can't be another twist in the "Bugger the Newcastle fans about" saga, another hand grenade is lobbed in.

It's a joke - and you deserve better. (And that's from an outsider.)

Sunderland announced a new manager yesterday, we had to do something to get the headlines back.

So thats it then, lets settle for years of Mid- table mediocrity,

those calling for a new manager can forget it, hes done this cos he thinks joe can preserve prem status,..

untill the credit crunch ends, and he puts back on market,.. he a fat cnut.