Newcastle United 1 - 5 Liverpool - 28/12/08 - Post rape reaction from page 19

Dave

Butt vs Gerrard today was the biggest mis-match I think I've ever seen in football. :neutral:

wasn't exactly a one on one as gerrard played between their midfield and attack....hate to say it but a masterclass in MOVEMENT from gerrard today

Wasn't actually a one on one as Butt didn't get near him all afternoon.

neither'd guthrie,coloccini,taylor,n'zogbia,geremi,gutierrez..........why make it butt only ?

Because I f***ing hate him :thup:

And he was exactly the same at Wigan on Friday.

I'm a tad more objective. i thought guthrie was woeful on and off the ball aswell, had lots of chances to break forward but held back forcing either butt forward or isolating the forwards. duff was more dynamic than n'zogbia,enrique has no confidence,owen was anonymous,given could have held two of them saves.....i could go on

I'd agree with all of that, but Butt is a week in week out problem now.  He had to go some to be worse than he was on Friday at Wigan, but he managed to achieve it.

He is only ever a good defensive midfielder when we're playing well, when we need him to be holding the midfield together when under pressure he's one of the first to disappear out of the game.  The only time you then notice him is when he's repeatedly giving the ball back to the opposition playing simple 5 yard passes.

maybe he'd be a better defensive midfielder if he was allowed to do just that as opposed to doing guthries (gooad games against pompey and spurs aside) work trying to get a little bit further forward ?

Butt struggles to play the simplest of passes though. Not sure how many passes he completed today but I can't remember many. His legs have gone too and he tires badly too imo.

Guthrie isn't the answer either but he shows a bit of drive from time to time. The sooner Barton's back the better and I never thought I'd say that often.

butts pasing was equal to  most for us today...it was that bad. he shouldn't need the legs,guthrie shouldn't be forcing him forward. 2 new centre mids may be too much to ask but bartona and 1 other please. if only to get to the end of the season.

If you're starting a Premiership game in CM then you need legs. Possession changes hands that often and the tempo is so high that getting about the park is paramount in CM. His legs have gone which means he can't get up and down or tackle cleanly anymore. When the ball breaks to him he invariably gives it straight back. He can't track runners from midfield and provides nothing going forward.

He's a f***ing liability and the sooner the ginger c*** is out of the door the better. There, I've said it. :hmm:

i agree to a point......why dont you say the same about guthrie  who has been equally as bad....worse if you think he should have more legs.

I don't think Guthrie has been as bad though.

He hasn't been great but I think he keeps possession better and offers more going forward than Butt does. I'm not trying to make him out as being another Vieira but Butt is going to get slower and less mobile as time goes on.

Ideally the club will bring in someone to partner Barton in there as you say, but until that happens then Guthrie deserves is spot over Butt every day of the week. Imo obviously.  :thup:

i don't see much of a difference between butt and guthrie.

in fact the only difference is that butt takes more blame,he's the whipping boy and guthrie is riding anonymously by

Fair enough. I think Butt's been, by and large, shocking this season.

Guthrie has time on his side and is worth having in the squad. He should improve. Butt will only get (even) worse/slower. 

i agree about butt,but i think guthrie has been equally as bad and has shown little to make me think he'll get better. least of all any sort of leadership when he makes the likes of butt go forward cos he wont

Butt vs Gerrard today was the biggest mis-match I think I've ever seen in football. :neutral:

wasn't exactly a one on one as gerrard played between their midfield and attack....hate to say it but a masterclass in MOVEMENT from gerrard today

neither'd guthrie,coloccini,taylor,n'zogbia,geremi,gutierrez..........why make it butt only ?

I'm a tad more objective. i thought guthrie was woeful on and off the ball aswell, had lots of chances to break forward but held back forcing either butt forward or isolating the forwards. duff was more dynamic than n'zogbia,enrique has no confidence,owen was anonymous,given could have held two of them saves.....i could go on

I'd agree with all of that, but Butt is a week in week out problem now.  He had to go some to be worse than he was on Friday at Wigan, but he managed to achieve it.

He is only ever a good defensive midfielder when we're playing well, when we need him to be holding the midfield together when under pressure he's one of the first to disappear out of the game.  The only time you then notice him is when he's repeatedly giving the ball back to the opposition playing simple 5 yard passes.

maybe he'd be a better defensive midfielder if he was allowed to do just that as opposed to doing guthries (gooad games against pompey and spurs aside) work trying to get a little bit further forward ?

Butt struggles to play the simplest of passes though. Not sure how many passes he completed today but I can't remember many. His legs have gone too and he tires badly too imo.

Guthrie isn't the answer either but he shows a bit of drive from time to time. The sooner Barton's back the better and I never thought I'd say that often.

butts pasing was equal to  most for us today...it was that bad. he shouldn't need the legs,guthrie shouldn't be forcing him forward. 2 new centre mids may be too much to ask but bartona and 1 other please. if only to get to the end of the season.

If you're starting a Premiership game in CM then you need legs. Possession changes hands that often and the tempo is so high that getting about the park is paramount in CM. His legs have gone which means he can't get up and down or tackle cleanly anymore. When the ball breaks to him he invariably gives it straight back. He can't track runners from midfield and provides nothing going forward.

He's a f***ing liability and the sooner the ginger c*** is out of the door the better. There, I've said it. :hmm:

i agree to a point......why dont you say the same about guthrie  who has been equally as bad....worse if you think he should have more legs.

He hasn't been great but I think he keeps possession better and offers more going forward than Butt does. I'm not trying to make him out as being another Vieira but Butt is going to get slower and less mobile as time goes on.

Ideally the club will bring in someone to partner Barton in there as you say, but until that happens then Guthrie deserves is spot over Butt every day of the week. Imo obviously.  :thup:

in fact the only difference is that butt takes more blame,he's the whipping boy and guthrie is riding anonymously by

Guthrie has time on his side and is worth having in the squad. He should improve. Butt will only get (even) worse/slower. 

i agree about butt,but i think guthrie has been equally as bad and has shown little to make me think he'll get better. least of all any sort of leadership when he makes the likes of butt go forward cos he wont

We disagree chap. At this moment in time I think Guthrie, for all his faults, is a better option than Butt in the middle of the park.

Guthrie should, in theory, get better whereas Butt has been on the way down for years now.

I'd concede that Guthrie at his peak probably won't be as good as Butt was at his peak.

We disagree chap. At this moment in time I think Guthrie, for all his faults, is a better option than Butt in the middle of the park.

Guthrie should, in theory, get better whereas Butt has been on the way down for years now.

I'd concede that Guthrie at his peak probably won't be as good as Butt was at his peak.

i see no reason to think this isn't guthrie at his peak

Ok. Given the choice:

Barton & Butt      or    Barton & Guthrie

who do you go with?

Ok. Given the choice:

Barton & Butt       or     Barton & Guthrie

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

allowing barton to get forward,till summer and getting someone else in.

barton and butt.

Butt isn't good enough, Guthrie is more use than him and I don't think Guthrie is as good as some people think.

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I don't agree but there you go. :)

I do think we need to spend a bit on a better CM asap though. Maybe Bullard? :dontknow:

Guest toonlass

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I do think we need to spend a bit on a better CM asap though. Maybe Bullard? :dontknow:

Is this after we get a new RB and LB to cover for Beye and Enrique? Cos we need them more than any midfielder at the minute!

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

Is this after we get a new RB and LB to cover for Beye and Enrique? Cos we need them more than any midfielder at the minute!

I disagree. I think we would have been raped in the second half regardless of whether those two were playing or not, our midfield was shambolic.

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I'd argue a CM who can keep possession would take a bit of pressure off our back 4.  ???

We need cover at both LB and RB but how often do you lose both first choice full-backs in the same game? Enrique and Beye are good players. 

Guest toonlass

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I disagree. I think we would have been raped in the second half regardless of whether those two were playing or not, our midfield was shambolic.

I meant as an option to give competition to Enrique and backup to Beye. Its not just today that we have been short of any quality in these areas you know!

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I meant as an option to give competition to Enrique and backup to Beye. Its not just today that we have been short of any quality in these areas you know!

I agree with you there, it's just nowhere near the priority midfield is imo.

Guest toonlass

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

I agree with you there, it's just nowhere near the priority midfield is imo.

I cannot agree there, in defence we have Beye (currently injured), Colo (hot and cold), Bassong (immense) Enrique (mystifying) with Taylor, Cacapa and Edgar as backup all of who are terrible. We have a midfielder (Zoggy) covering left back, a job he shouldn't be expected to do.

In midfield we have Jonas, Geremi, Barton, Butt, Guthrie, Alan Smith (I know), Zoggy, Duff and Lua Lua.

While we do need a midfielder, we need defenders more imo.

It's f***ing ridicules what people now make of such a defeat. It's ashame what some people say here who call themselves Toon Supporters, Fans, Army, Ultras, Whatever. Absolutly ashame. WE STILL FOLLOW UNITED!!!

YAWN - Are you for real..?

Guest Bolton Zulu

I saw Guthrie play for Bolton a few times last season. What you see is what you get. He's not going to get better guys. He's an average Premier League grafter, nothing more. I was surprised that you signed him to be honest. Mind you, he's not out of his depth in your current squad. It will be interesting to see if that changes in the January window.

We missed our 4 best players, who would have made a massive difference. If you took Gerrard out of yesterday's game (missing their best 2 players) and it would have been very different again.

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that, nice message from JFK to the board before the window opens.

Ok. Given the choice:

who do you go with?

barton and butt.

How does Butt get away with it?

Guest optimistic nit

i still remember after the keegan thing a newcastle fan's representitive on ssnsaying that we had top players at our team, Given, Owen and Taylor. a fucking fans representitive for christ sakes.

That's true to some extent. I said before this was brought up that Guthrie played a cowardly game yesterday, for me he was hiding in this game. I was watching the central midfielders very closely because I had a feeling we were going to get over run in that area, and while Butt jogged around without a clue while the game passed him by, I was surprised to see the same was true of Guthrie. Both players were stood watching far too often while Liverpool's forwards bombed passed them.

The only difference between the two is Guthrie isn't a fossil so there is still hope he can be coached into upping his game.