The Liverpool System

Ash

The way Liverpool line up with the two holding players allowing Gerrard to play a free role is really impressive. They found so much space today it was unreal (fair enough, they were only up against Nicky Butt, still impressive though).

If we could make the right types of signings in January/the summer along with some of the players we currently have at the club, could we make it work? Would it work better with or without Owen? Would Jonas work well in the free role?

This season:

Guthrie - New player

Jonas - Owen - N'Zogbia

Martins

Next season:

Barton/New player - Barton/New player

Jonas/Barton?/New player - Jonas/New player - N'Zogbia

Martins

One of our major weaknesses as a team, probably the biggest in fact, is our complete lack of movement. I think this could solve that problem with a couple of new signings. I really like this system and think if we could find the right types of players to play the roles requried (the free role arguably the most important) it could be very effective for us. I think Barton would suit this style of formation, as would Jonas as he could drift inside if playing on the right of the attacking three, or roaming if he was given the central role of the three. Guthrie would also provide good back-up for the holding role. Another option could be to push Coloccini up as a holding man if we could bring in another quality centre back.

Another key question is who could we realistically sign to fill the void postions? Inler is someone we've been linked with a fair bit and would do a good job.

Anybody else like this formation/think we could make it work?

I've heard strong rumours about Arsenal being after Inler again, especially since Fabregas got injured.

Has Jonas got enough of a fairly consistent end product to be given such a central role? I agree that having someone like him playing more centrally would help create more space as he's obviously more mobile than the likes of Butt.

Guest LucaAltieri

1) It would require too many new players to implement.

2) Jonas isn't really deadly enough for a free role. While he is tidy through the middle he has shown himself to be more effective wide-left than anywhere else. If we were to put someone in the Gerrard role then the most similar player we have is Barton.

3) Martins isn't clinical enough to pull-off the loan striker role. We benefit by having him on the pitch in the way he can get in behind the back line but he's not someone you would want to rely on as a loan goal scorer.

4) We lack the creativity in midfield to really pick out the key players when moving forward.

In short, there are just too many changes we would need to make. Far more than 1 summer's work.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If you looked at Liverpool yesterday, not only were they better players, but, they were better physical specimens.

Carragher - Strong and tenacious, not many get the better of him 6'

Agger - Big, strong, quick 6'1

Hyypia - Big Strong 6'4

Insua - Strong, quick 5'9

Masch - Strong, quick 5'9

Gerrard - Everything 6'

Lucas - Only 'weak' player 6'

Babel - Powerful, quick 6'

Kuyt - Strong 6'

Benayoun - Quick 5'11

Apart from Jonas, Colo, Tayls and Edgar the rest of the team was 5'8 ish.

I am not the tallest myself, and are frustrated to see team like Stoke and Bolton fill their sides with monsters, as i do not think that is what football should be about, but we need to get a balance.

We desperately need some height in the middle of the park and we definately need a big powerful forward

i have a feeling liverpools sucess is based on a far simpler system,....

do not appoint a person like Dennis Wise to undermine the manager= successful manager.

:rolleyes:

you can do better than that towlie

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We flattered them massively with how shit we were. They struggled against Hull ffs. The quality of the league this year has been shit,which is lucky for us in a way.

Liverpool's system isn't that complicated. They have good players at their peak who can run for 90 mins. I'm sure if we had a bigger squad with players of that description we'd look a lot better too.

do not appoint a person like Dennis Wise to undermine the manager= successful manager.

Don't really think I have to, tbh. This thread isn't about the board in any way, so just rolling my eyes at someone bringing it up is good enough for me.

If you looked at Liverpool yesterday, not only were they better players, but, they were better physical specimens.

Carragher - Strong and tenacious, not many get the better of him 6'

Agger - Big, strong, quick 6'1

Hyypia - Big Strong 6'4

Insua - Strong, quick 5'9

Masch - Strong, quick 5'9

Gerrard - Everything 6'

Lucas - Only 'weak' player 6'

Babel - Powerful, quick 6'

Kuyt - Strong 6'

Benayoun - Quick 5'11

Apart from Jonas, Colo, Tayls and Edgar the rest of the team was 5'8 ish.

I am not the tallest myself, and are frustrated to see team like Stoke and Bolton fill their sides with monsters, as i do not think that is what football should be about, but we need to get a balance.

We desperately need some height in the middle of the park and we definately need a big powerful forward

I was pretty impressed with Lucas yesterday in terms of his strength & ability to break things up???

Don't really think I have to, tbh. This thread isn't about the board in any way, so just rolling my eyes at someone bringing it up is good enough for me.

the board have nowt to do with the Fact Liverpools system saw them slaughter us?, i disagree, i think the board are totally responsible.

Has Jonas got enough of a fairly consistent end product to be given such a central role? I agree that having someone like him playing more centrally would help create more space as he's obviously more mobile than the likes of Butt.

Jonas definitely has more than enough of flair and creativity to play in the central role but I think he's more of a winger type. He's just not strong enough to play in the middle IMO

Jonas definitely has more than enough of flair and creativity to play in the central role but I think he's more of a winger type. He's just not strong enough to play in the middle IMO

I agree, but I'm not sure he has enough of an end product to play such a vital role.

I agree he's probably most comfortable out on the wing.

Guest Brazilianbob

I agree, but I'm not sure he has enough of an end product to play such a vital role.

Argentina see him as a left full back, but that just goes to highlight our deficiencies in midfield, that an international left full back is our best wide right midfield player

Argentina see him as a left full back, but that just goes to highlight our deficiencies in midfield, that an international left full back is our best wide right midfield player

Bollocks do they. They've used him as a more defensive left midfielder to allow their other attacking players free reign but full back? No.