The Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken

pedro111

Similar to a recent thread a while back I was just messing about on Youtube and saw this vid.

Now, we all know the Universe is a pretty big place, most of us dont care really as the huge numbers are meaningless to our brains.

Anyway, this vid tries to explain it all in layman's terms.  When the penny drops and you get even the slightest grasp of how big it is and you think about it for a couple of seconds you cant help but be staggered by it.  :kasper:

After seeing this, to even contemplate that there isnt any other life out there seems a joke.

Particularly good from 2:27 onwards.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Love this:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/dabears1020/1202609635165.gif

As you say, the idea that there is no life other than our own is, on a statistical level at least, staggeringly improbable.

Fascinating video, I think the bit from 5 mins onwards is particularly astouding - that single image containing 1000 galaxies, each with thousands of stars, each with planets possibly orbiting them. Remarkable.

Love this:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/dabears1020/1202609635165.gif

As you say, the idea that there is no life other than our own is, on a statistical level at least, staggeringly improbable.

I love that gif.

I just want to live long enough to know. I don't even know what I want to know, but I know I need to know it.

:lol: I'm talking s***, but god damn I just need to know.

If I get what your saying right, I'm exactly the same. Really just want to be around when things are known about places other than earth, say when/if they find aliens.

I just want to live long enough to know. I don't even know what I want to know, but I know I need to know it.

If I get what your saying right, I'm exactly the same. Really just want to be around when things are known about places other than earth, say when/if they find aliens.

Agreed. I pray it happens in my lifetime.

Not if they are psychos.

Not if they are psychos.

Good point. As long as they're not Alien Nazis with deathrays.