Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

With us having Harper as an outstanding back up, and some good younger keepers on the books, personally i would sell Given for 12mil+.

The need for outfield players is greater than our need for a top goalkeeper imho

No one is going to pay us £12m for a goalkeeper, we might be able to command £7-8m. I don't want to sell but like Owen I have the feeling he will be looking to leave this summer, if that's the case we should sell.

Guest The Libertine

£10 million would be great, £8 million is probably acceptable if he really want to go.

ben foster is going free in the summer (apparently) btw.

Guest sicko2ndbest

No one is going to pay us £12m for a goalkeeper, we might be able to command £7-8m. I don't want to sell but like Owen I have the feeling he will be looking to leave this summer, if that's the case we should sell.

I think we are in the driving seat. There are some teams with big pockets (Man City, Arsenal, Spurs) who are after a top goalkeeper. I think we have every chance of commanding 12mil +. Remember Buffon went for something like 30mil and Trappatoni recently compared Given with him!

He's tied up until 2011 so we don't have to sell. If he's happy to stay I'd like to keep him, but if he should become set on a move we should consider selling if the offer is right. I think we have decent keepers in reserve so it's not like we'd be desperate for a replacement.

What the heck is wrong with some people?

Shay puts on an incredible performance on the weekend that ultimately saves us from losing 1-11, he's the only one who actually does care about the current mess we find ourselves in. Most of the others i.e Mr. Owen just want to bail out and find a better pay check! Plus, Given's one of the greatest players to ever wear a Newcastle shirt, imo.  Some people just cant be satisfied.

If any of our keepers is to go then Harper should. I realyl like Harper as well but he's getting on in years as well and he's the one who deserves 1st team football. But if he's happy to play Shay's understudy then send Krul out on a season loan to Feyenoord or wherever the f*ck he wants to go.

But in saying all this, if Shay wanted to leave, I'd let him go. He's been through enough in the last few years and deserves to play in a good team that will win trophys.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I wouldn't want to sell him he's not just an excellent goalie, but also represents continuity at the club but I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave. We'll be lucky to get £6 million, though.

6mil keeper

Harper?

Guest sicko2ndbest

no because we will replace him with an inferior keeper and that would stupidity as we are in a delegation battle

Is that the type of battle where you share the anguish of relegation with your colleagues?

Shay puts on an incredible performance on the weekend that ultimately saves us from losing 1-11, he's the only one who actually does care about the current mess we find ourselves in. Most of the others i.e Mr. Owen just want to bail out and find a better pay check! Plus, Given's one of the greatest players to ever wear a Newcastle shirt, imo.  Some people just cant be satisfied.

We still lost 1-5 despite Shay's excellent performance which highlights the desperate need for players in other areas of the field. If selling Shay enables us to shore up our defence and sign a decent CM then it's a no brainer for me. I'd love him to stay but what's the point in having an outstanding goalkeeper playing behind an average defence and a shit midfield? I'd much rather have quality throughout the team which should negate the need for an outstanding goalkeeper.

The easy answer is only sell if we have better on the books already or only sell if we intend buying a better keeper.

I don't think any of the other keepers we've got are better (or of the same standard) than him and I can't see us buying an established and better one for less than we'd get for Given, so keep him until he decides he fancies a move himself.

Guest Brummiemag

Brilliant goalie and we cant afford to sell him. Lose Given and Owen for the rest of the season and we would almost certainly be relegated

If any of our keepers is to go then Harper should. I realyl like Harper as well but he's getting on in years as well and he's the one who deserves 1st team football. But if he's happy to play Shay's understudy then send Krul out on a season loan to Feyenoord or wherever the f*ck he wants to go.

But in saying all this, if Shay wanted to leave, I'd let him go. He's been through enough in the last few years and deserves to play in a good team that will win trophys.

The bolded bit is the crucial factor, and the signs are he's getting itchy feet for me. If so, bye bye and thanks.

We still lost 1-5 despite Shay's excellent performance which highlights the desperate need for players in other areas of the field. If selling Shay enables us to shore up our defence and sign a decent CM then it's a no brainer for me. I'd love him to stay but what's the point in having an outstanding goalkeeper playing behind an average defence and a s*** midfield? I'd much rather have quality throughout the team which should negate the need for an outstanding goalkeeper.

But having Joe Kinnear spend that money really doesnt fill me with confidence. He'll just bring in average Championship players and shitty Premiership players that are past it and no one wants. Nothing good.

Plus, if Mike Ashley is a man to his word, then he'll be investing this January.... HIMSELF. Although I wouldnt be at all surprised if Joe was told he has to sell before he can buy. But anyway, the bottom line is that I wouldnt sell Shay to generate funds. That will just make things worse.

We still lost 1-5 despite Shay's excellent performance which highlights the desperate need for players in other areas of the field. If selling Shay enables us to shore up our defence and sign a decent CM then it's a no brainer for me. I'd love him to stay but what's the point in having an outstanding goalkeeper playing behind an average defence and a s*** midfield? I'd much rather have quality throughout the team which should negate the need for an outstanding goalkeeper.

But having Joe Kinnear spend that money really doesnt fill me with confidence. He'll just bring in average Championship players and shitty Premiership players that are past it and no one wants. Nothing good.

Plus, if Mike Ashley is a man to his word, then he'll be investing this January.... HIMSELF. Although I wouldnt be at all surprised if Joe was told he has to sell before he can buy. But anyway, the bottom line is that I wouldnt sell Shay to generate funds. That will just make things worse.

I realise that a lot of people don't rate Kinnear but to criticise his ability in the transfer market because he's even signed anyone is just ridiculous. How do you know he's going to sign average championship players and shit premiership players? From what i can recall he's actually pretty good at the wheeling and dealing side of things. Plus we have a system in place at the club that won't allow him to sign any old shite. Give the guy a chance before you write him off!

The truth is that ANYONE who will fetch a decent fee at NUFC could be sold for the right offer.

Owen is in that category and so is Given ; frankly, we can cover for Given far better than we can for the loss of Owen, and I also think that Shay deserves the chance of a bit of success if any of the top clubs come for him ; he has been a loyal servant for 10 years and a keeper of his calibre deserves to have a couple of medals in his pocket by the time he jacks it in ; he has constantly pleaded with the club to strengthen the squad only to see these pleas fall on deaf ears..

In my view, if he can get a better club, he should be allowed to go .

With us having Harper as an outstanding back up, and some good younger keepers on the books, personally i would sell Given for 12mil+.

The need for outfield players is greater than our need for a top goalkeeper imho

So lets sell a player who has shown great loyalty over the years who has had a shit defense in front of him for long time or put Harper in who is not bothered about first team football and is imho good cover not outstanding .He has had his chances over the years but Given always gets back in and rightly so ,would not sell Given at any price in a world of mercenaries and players who do not care i think he is a great example to any youngster .You build a team from the back and for the money you get for Given i would say its not worth it .