GM!

Dave

Thought you might appreciate this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/7804849.stm

Hoy knighted in New Year honours

Britain's Olympic heroes have been recognised in the New Year Honours list, with cyclist Chris Hoy knighted.

Team-mate Bradley Wiggins and sailing star Ben Ainslie become CBEs, swimmer Rebecca Adlington receives an OBE and boxer James DeGale is made an MBE.

Team GB cycling performance director Dave Brailsford is made a CBE, as is rowing counterpart David Tanner.

Lewis Hamilton receives an MBE after becoming Formula One's youngest world champion in only his second season.

Reading FC chairman John Madejski receives a knighthood for his charity work, and BBC cricket commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins is recognised with an MBE.

Scotland's Hoy, recently crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year, became the first Briton in 100 years to win three golds at an Olympics with his success in Beijing in August.

Hoy has a double reason to celebrate as his mother Carol, who is a retired nurse, is recognised for her work on sleep-related illnesses.

"It's incredible and I'm absolutely delighted," said Hoy.

"I still can't quite believe it. To be given a knighthood is an enormous honour - it means so much to me and also to my family."

Sailor Ainslie is honoured after winning sailing gold in Beijing - his third - while disabled swimmer David Roberts also receives an CBE after winning four golds in Beijing and his 11th in total.

Track cyclist Wiggins, who claimed two gold medals in Beijing and his sixth Olympic medal, is also awarded a CBE.

OBEs are also awarded to gold-medal winning sailors Sarah Ayton, Iain Percy, Sarah Webb while Olympic champion rowers Zac Purchase, Mark Hunter, Andy Trigg-Hodge and Tom James, and Peter Reed all get MBEs.

Adlington became the first British woman to win an Olympic gold in the pool since Anita Lonsbrough in 1960, and finished third in the vote at Sports Personality of the Year.

She said: "I'm absolutely delighted to receive the OBE - it is fantastic to be recognised in the New Year Honours.

"There are so many amazing names on the list, it's something I'll treasure for the rest of my life."

Born with dwarfism, 14-year-old swimmer Eleanor Simmonds became Britain's youngest ever individual Paralympic gold medallist in Beijing and is also the youngest person receive an honour.

There are also MBEs for gold medal-winning cyclists Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Jason Kenny, Jamie Staff, Pail Manning, Nicole Cooke, Victoria Pendleton and Rebecca Romero.

GB boxing coach Terry Edwards was also honoured with a MBE after steering DeGale to gold and David Price and Tony Jeffries to bronze medals in Beijing.

"I was absolutely gobsmacked when I heard the news and I'm so proud to have received this honour," said DeGale.

"It was a dream come true to represent my country at the Olympics and to have won a gold medal, and this just caps a perfect year for me."

Hamilton's MBE rounds off an astonishing year for the 23-year-old after he won won the Formula One championship in 2008 and was Sports Personality of the Year runner-up.

The McLaren driver received a personally-written note of congratulations from the Queen.

Excellent! Well done Hoy

Wiggins and Ainslie also deserve knighthoods though based on their medal hauls over several Olympics.

Plus Mark Cavendish's achievements probably desrved an MBE more than some of the track cyclists, but his time will come.

So Lewis Hamilton gets an MBE for "services to Motor Sport". 2 fucking years he has been racing in F1 !

Nothing against the lad and I am overjoyed at his success as an Englishman but its hardly like he has eclipsed all before him. I just dont know how we would cope with a sports star like Schumacher or Federer. The queen would probably give them a titty wank

The honours system is at best a complete enigma and at worst a foul class-based and corrupt anachronism.

i know of someone who has turned one down.

John Lennon?

returned his didn't he ?

no, a local bloke was contacted about receiving one and he wrote back saying "no thanks"

Guest LucaAltieri

So Lewis Hamilton gets an MBE for "services to Motor Sport". 2 fucking years he has been racing in F1 !

Nothing against the lad and I am overjoyed at his success as an Englishman but its hardly like he has eclipsed all before him. I just dont know how we would cope with a sports star like Schumacher or Federer. The queen would probably give them a titty wank

I'd take up F1 if there was a prospect of a royal titty wank.

Not sure what more Phil Taylor has to do to get a knighthood. 13 World championships not enough like? Eh? Eh?

Stupid bitch. :hmm:

:lol:

Not sure it's a good time to give one out when he's still competing mind.