Link between Atlanta and Newcastle?

TRC

Just looking on wikipedia before and Newcastle is listed as a sister city to Atlanta, anyone know the connection? I'm off to Atlanta probably this summer, so was wondering the craic.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/twintownatlanta

Atlanta

Atlanta is the State capital of Georgia. It is also its largest city and the principal trade and transportation centre of the southeastern United States. In 1996 the City hosted the summer Olympic Games.

Background to Twinning

Although Newcastle is officially twinned with Atlanta, the organisation and momentum behind the link was through the 'Friendship Force'. The first exchanges in 1977 were between 381 Americans and 381 people from the North East. Since then regular exchanges between Georgia and Newcastle have been organised by local members of the Friendship Force. A great many of these have developed into personal links. Following a return visit by President Jimmy Carter in 1987 the Lord Mayor (Derek Webster) visited Atlanta in 1988 and made initial contact with relevant business people. Further meetings were held in 1992 and an educational programme was developed with the first exchanges taking place between North Atlanta High School and the University of Northumbria Business School. The University of Northumbria has subsequently been designated as the European Centre of the University System of Georgia. This is part of a programme by the University System of Georgia to establish four centres of excellence in Europe, Africa, South America and Asia. Inward investment leads have also been generated.

Guest kingdawson

Atlanta is one of my favourite places. Got a lot of family living there so iv'e been there quite a lot. The thing is, once you've visited once, there isnt much else to see.

Interesting stuff there Dave.

But, Atlanta?, wtf do we have in common with Atlanta?, we should be twinned with a town similar to ours.  I dont know much about Atlanta bar the Falcons but its nothing like here is it?

I was once driving in Paris suburbs, and was toatlly lost, i pulled over to check my map. and the sign next to me named the suberb ( cant recall) twinned with South Tyneside. Didnt help me any tho, cos its also full of foreigners over the River.

Edit..South TYneside, Twinned with,Épinay-sur-Seine

I was once driving in Paris suburbs, and was toatlly lost, i pulled over to check my map. and the sign next to me named the suberb ( cant recall) twinned with South Tyneside. Didnt help me any tho, cos its also full of foreigners over the River.

:lol:

I have no idea about that sister city bit but my advice for your visit is to get to a park any day you can in the summer if you're going to be outdoors.  Piedmont, Chastain, Ansley park it doesn't matter.  Just get on green grass somewhere. 

Having moved here 4 years ago and being used to, and in fact loving, sweltering conditions (e.g. 95F+ degrees and 90% humidity) I'm pretty confident in saying downtown Atlanta is an experiment in human torture, built with some kind of futuristic asphalt and concrete compounds that multiply heat by a factor of 10. 

I've been to New York, Dallas and Los Angeles in the summertime and none of them seem anything like as life-crushingly brutal as downtown Atlanta.

Be happy to answer any other questions you may have about the place. 

Obviously worth googling my suggestions to see if they're up your alley but

Stuff to do: Stone Mountain, Fernbank, Zoo Atlanta, Georgia Aquarium, Six Flags and any concerts/festivals going on in chastain or piedmont park, anything going on at Tabernacle or the Masquerade, shows at the Cobb Energy Center.  Braves game if they're playing. 

Shopping: Lenox Mall, Mall of Georgia, Little Five Points, Phipps Plaza, Perimeter mall. 

Foods: The Varsity, Waffle House, Fogo de Chao, Willys, Annies Thai Castle, Atlanta Fish Market, Vini Vidi Vici, Imperial Fez, Marietta Diner, Chow Baby, Rathbun's Steakhouse, Vortex.

Booze: Five Seasons Brewing, Northside Tavern, Taco Mac, The Brickstore, Thinking Mans. 

Avoid: Marta buses.  The trains are alright to get around to locations but the buses themselves are horrible. Actual locations to avoid would be West and South Atlanta.  Barring the attractions and strip clubs it's really an ugly place and mostly industrial.  Staying around Buckhead, Downtown and Decatur is a solid bet. 

Guest kingdawson

I'm just going for a few days as part of an eastcoast road trip. Advice on bars, clubs, and general stuff to do, and where to avoid would be appreciated.

Whatever you do, don't go to Bankhead.

Edit: Certain spots in Decatur are quite iffy too (at night time).

Just be careful in Atlanta, there's always some kind of incident when I or anyone I know go down there.  Like thomas said, avoid MARTA(Moving Afros Rapidly Through Atlanta) and I've heard the Vortex has the greatest burgers in the world but isn't it a huge gay club??  Just a heads up if you decide to go there...

If you're into American history and government you should goto D.C. and obviously don't miss out on New York.  I never thought Philadelphia or Charlotte were that much to shout about, but I've heard Boston is supposed to be pretty cool and have no idea about Baltimore.

Just be careful in Atlanta, there's always some kind of incident when I or anyone I know go down there.  Like thomas said, avoid MARTA(Moving Afros Rapidly Through Atlanta) and I've heard the Vortex has the greatest burgers in the world but isn't it a huge gay club??  Just a heads up if you decide to go there...

If you're into American history and government you should goto D.C. and obviously don't miss out on New York.  I never thought Philadelphia or Charlotte were that much to shout about, but I've heard Boston is supposed to be pretty cool and have no idea about Baltimore.

Watch "The Wire".