Need a break?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

I spend a lot of time online searching for news about NUFC. I reckon 70-80% of the stuff that i read is negative, not only the factual information that is reported on news sites but also the posts that i read on NUFC related forums. I am gradually acquiring a 'dont care' attitude towards the club in light of the mismanagement and general distain with which a lot of people view our club. I know its getting too much when i am actually entertaining the thought of relegation and the subsequent fire sale of players and owners as a step in the right direction, even though i know long term it will be a catastrophy.

Coincidently, the good things that have happened this season (and yes there were a few) such as the Portsmouth game and the Man Utd game have come when i have been otherwise engaged, unable to watch. This again for different reasons has made me question the time i devote to something that is causing me more distress than joy, even though i know it is just sheer coincidence or bad luck

I know as a fan i need to take the bad with the good, but at the moment it just seem to be a neverending stream of shit from the factual mismanagement of the club to the trivial arguements that spring up on this board. And people, i am bored, tired, distressed and downright unhappy with what is going on at a club that i love.

I feel as though i need a break, but the addiction that is NUFC is a tough habit to kick, so i am probably going to stay around for a little while longer, but how much more i can take, i simply dont know!

How does everyone else feel

The club comes first. Always has, always will.

Players, managers & owners have all come and gone and I've stuck by them throughout. I've had a mixed bag so far but I'll always be a Newcastle fan. There isn't an alternative. 

Not sure how anyone can just switch off. The club at the moment is like a dying relative in the hospital. You can't just stop going to see them even if you know you're going to need to dig out a black tie at some point in the near future.

I'll be here long after Mike Ashley's ran off with his swag bag over his shoulder.

NUFC will always be interesting - whether it be in a good or bad environment and they will never stop being my number one passion.

I do however have a general downer on the whole sport at the moment.

The thing that really got me was that "goal" that Reading were awarded at Watford. The fact that the players didnt have the sporting decency to allow Watford a reply goal to balance the score spoke volumes for me of the general cynical and selfish attitude of people in football.

Then I think within days Man City were spouting off about becoming a football Harlem Globetrotters and I just thought "oh fuck this".

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not sure how anyone can just switch off. The club at the moment is like a dying relative in the hospital. You can't just stop going to see them even if you know you're going to need to dig out a black tie at some point in the near future.

I'll be here long after Mike Ashley's ran off with his swag bag over his shoulder.

Sums up how i feel very well. You almost want it to happen so you can begin the grieving/re-building process

:thup:

Still strong but it has wained a tad, in that i'm not as ridiculously excited about games etc anymore - generally just cos i've got no faith in any of them, bar a few players. My heart didn't even sink when i saw the result the other day; i knew we were gonna lose, that was blatantly obvious, and it was just an annoyance more than anything really. I'd have been angry for a week if that had been last season. Similarly with the Pompey game, i was pleased but i wasn't jumping up and down. So yeah, i've become a bit apathetic but i mean - i still intend to come up for the Mackem game cos i should have some decent funds in which to do so by that point.

I'd call it more of an addiction than a following atm. Definitely still addicted, though.

Kinnear is becoming a real deal breaker, the way he just says anything to the press without it having a basis in fact is utterly ridiculous: the time-frame he gave for Owen discussing his contract (that made it Christmas eve as I recall), the Given story etc.

Part of the 'enjoyment' of being a football fan is finding out news and knowing what the club is doing / planning. That makes the club seem inclusive; like the club is a shared endeavour in which you have some kind of small stake.

Instead all we get are these stupid lies, platitudes and nonsenses from manager, chairman and owner. I have absolutely no idea what the latter two plan to do with the club, want from the club or expect to get from the club. None whatsoever. Thinking about it would be futile, frustrating, a totally fruitless exercise in stabbing in the dark. So I don't think about it, stop checking the news, don't talk about it.

If in the pub anyone asks me what I think of the club now, I'm speechless. What could I say about what might happen in the next day, week or year? I haven't a clue and what's more, there's no way of knowing. At least Sheppard was cocking things up in public and there was something to comment on.

The way this kind of thing works is that you have to have an investment in the idea of the club to receive any enjoyment from it, and at the moment there is nothing to invest in for the fans: just this total mystery of what the hell anyone is doing. All you can do is turn up to the matches and hope, but a kind of empty hope like watching a roulette wheel. There seems to be no way of working out what will happen, all you can do is accept the unpredictability and sit back.

The lower he rate of return on the gamble of supporting the club, the less people will care: not because the odds of the win shrink, but because the stake you can put on the table right now is so small that there's no reason to bother.

Its not like a dying relative then, it'll still be here even if we get relegated or when Ashley's fucked off.

Its not like a dying relative then, it'll still be here even if we get relegated or when Ashley's fucked off.

Get your own fucking analogy and stop picking on mine. :dave:

Get your own fucking analogy and stop picking on mine. :dave:

Love how that's called dave :lol:

Am sure loads of us will still stick with it, is what i meant.

As will I, but im weak enough that if Given goes i might take a step back for while because its all building up, day in day out something happens here and Given going to me would be enough for the time being. Hes the only man who is still playing that is a hero to me, he plays for both my club and country. I idolise the man, if he goes to another Premier League club I could easily just say fuck it. I hope i dont, but ill be fucking seething.

Actually, I've been thinking now would be as good a time as any to switch allegiance to a more successful team, without all the melodrama...

...like, for example, Deveronvale.

As will I, but im weak enough that if Given goes i might take a step back for while because its all building up, day in day out something happens here and Given going to me would be enough for the time being. Hes the only man who is still playing that is a hero to me, he plays for both my club and country. I idolise the man, if he goes to another Premier League club I could easily just say fuck it. I hope i dont, but ill be fucking seething.

:lol: Typical Irish fan basically.

Guest firetotheworks

I really wish I could walk away but I know its naive to think I can. Ive said that Im done with football altogether so many times and still come back to it at the latest the following weekend.

:lol: Typical Irish fan basically.

:lol: Ill end up going again man, im about to book flights over to Newcastle for the last 2 home games, meant to do it last week but will prob do it this week.

Actually, I've been thinking now would be as good a time as any to switch allegiance to a more successful team, without all the melodrama...

...like, for example, Deveronvale.

You don't want to support them, the bairns team beat them 5-1 in a cup 5 years ago, they were shite at under 14's.

Guest Mantis

Frustrated would be the best description for me.  I can see more negative scenarios coming up with regard to players leaving and fear we will end up with more duds coming in at the 11th hr again.  I wish I could be optimistic about incoming players, but just cant see it.

You never give up on NUFC, but the one positive i always have is that i'll still be here when Ashley, Llambias, Wise, Kinnear, Given, Owen and the players who spend more time on the piss than on the pitch have gone.  True, they can sit counting our cash which they have trousered but real and loyal people dont extend much further than fans these days.  The real shame is that periods of uncertainty at the club leads to fans arguing amongst themselves at the time when we most need to be united.  

I support them because of their fantastic work off the pitch, working in the community, giving kids opportunities for training and recreation on a scale that shames the bigger clubs. Oh yes. And they're at the top of the Highland League, too. :)