Xisco joins Deportivo on loan until the end of the season

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Is he the new Luque?

Xisco's record is a bit difficult to work out. According to Wikipedia: -

2004–2008 Deportivo La Coruña 44 Appearances 12 Goals

2006–2007 Loaned to UD Vecindario who (according to Wikipedia) play in Segunda División B which is the third level of the Spanish football league system. He made 27 Appearances and scored 13 Goals.

2007 - Spain U21 8 Appearances 3 Goals.

According to http://www.footballdatabase.com/index.php?page=player&Id=1895&pn=Francisco_Jim%C3%A9nez_Tejada

Season, Club, Country, Level, GP and GS

2007-08, Deportivo La Coruña, ESP, A, 24, 9

2006-07, Vecindario, ESP, B, 27 & 13

2005-06, Deportivo La Coruña, ESP, A, 10 & 1

2004-05, Deportivo La Coruña, ESP, A, 7 & 2

2004-05, Deportivo La Coruña B, ESP, B, 15 & 8

2003-04, Deportivo La Coruña B, ESP, B, 23 & 17

On paper he should at least be ahead of Carroll in the striker pecking order but he isn't. Some fans think he deserves a run in the team. The manager doesn't seem to rate him. We don't know how Xisco performs in training.

He must be really shit if he isn't worth a 10 min run out at 0-0 as a late sub. To be fair to the lad, he got as close as any of the other strikers to scoring today, even sitting on the bench. Well played lad :thup:

Some will blame Kinnear for not playing him but for all we know he may well correct in his assessment of Xisco. A lot of people wanted to give Luque a chance but he really was shit. Maybe Xisco is too?

At the very least Xisco should be playing regularly in the reserves.

Guest Heneage

Not had a fair chance whatsoever, and its just stupidity on the clubs part. The fact he plays for Spains U21 who have a fantastic squad should say a hell of a lot. To compare him to Luque is sheer stupidity, two totally different players, its like comparing Owen and Walcott because they are both English. Luque came shortly after his peak at Deportivo, he had fallen out of favour with Depors manager, and really should have moved within the league, a change of style and pace at that stage of his career was the wrong move, and he was right to not want to move and should have stuck by his guns, instead of being tempted by the 75k on offer.

Xisco by contrast is a young prospect striker, who reminds me of Matt Derbyshire, not a huge presence that will not dominate in the air but is a quality finisher that is good on the ground. He has good heart and determination, and technique wise is sound. With the right training and people not jumping on his back expecting him to be the next Raul he could be a very good player. Will he ever be that 20 goal a season torres striker? No, but he will be a great second striker that feeds off a main striker, really he is what Liverpool should have got ofr Torres instead of Xisco.

There's no point even discussing him tbh.

Hi, Joe.

;D

Well he's clearly not going to get a look in and is going to be sold as soon as someone comes up with a £3m bid.

You're spot on, Dave and unfortunately I agree that is what will happen.

To compare him to Luque is sheer stupidity, two totally different players, its like comparing Owen and Walcott because they are both English.

The comparison between Xisco and Luque is Luque was treated in a similar way to how Xisco seems to be getting treated now by Newcastle. I'm not comparing the actual player's abilities.

I want Kinnear to come out and tell the media (and thus us) what the deal is with Xisco. Let's not beat around the bush; he wasn't cheap, he isn't an unknown, and he isn't a loan signing. He shouldn't just be written off.

He must be doing something really wrong to not be given a chance, and I'd like to hear what.

Not had a fair chance whatsoever, and its just stupidity on the clubs part. The fact he plays for Spains U21 who have a fantastic squad should say a hell of a lot. To compare him to Luque is sheer stupidity, two totally different players, its like comparing Owen and Walcott because they are both English. Luque came shortly after his peak at Deportivo, he had fallen out of favour with Depors manager, and really should have moved within the league, a change of style and pace at that stage of his career was the wrong move, and he was right to not want to move and should have stuck by his guns, instead of being tempted by the 75k on offer.

Xisco by contrast is a young prospect striker, who reminds me of Matt Derbyshire, not a huge presence that will not dominate in the air but is a quality finisher that is good on the ground. He has good heart and determination, and technique wise is sound. With the right training and people not jumping on his back expecting him to be the next Raul he could be a very good player. Will he ever be that 20 goal a season torres striker? No, but he will be a great second striker that feeds off a main striker, really he is what Liverpool should have got ofr Torres instead of Xisco.

Although I agree overall with your post, I'd have to disagree with the bit in bold. He's a great header of the ball and got a fair few goals like this in La Liga. He was also good at holding up the ball. A good targetman striker really.

There's an article somewhere from when Xisco was still at Depor and the midfielder Lafita said of him:

'From an attacking midfield position, I'll look up and Xisco is always my first option for a pass. His movement off the shoulder of the defender is excellent and he always offers us plenty of options. The way he holds the ball up makes him the reference point for the rest of the team.You have just got to realise how hard he works to understand how important he can be to a team."

Maybe the problem is that our midfield can't actually attack.

from the limited viewings i've had of both players, xisco is definitly worth a go infront of carroll

I have that feeling as well. Carroll doesn't look like a goal scorer, I think Joe likes him because he's big and strong. Xisco looks less physical but he looks like he might have more quality around the penalty area. Hard to tell from a couple of brief outings, but I'd like to see him in a decent side before i write him off.

He's a great header of the ball and got a fair few goals like this in La Liga. He was also good at holding up the ball. A good targetman striker really.

There's an article somewhere from when Xisco was still at Depor and the midfielder Lafita said of him:

'From an attacking midfield position, I'll look up and Xisco is always my first option for a pass. His movement off the shoulder of the defender is excellent and he always offers us plenty of options. The way he holds the ball up makes him the reference point for the rest of the team.You have just got to realise how hard he works to understand how important he can be to a team."

Was Lafita basing that on one season though? If you read Xisco's stats he only really had season 2007-08 in La Liga A (which looked like a good season for him). Most of his other goals and appearances were in La Liga B.

At the very least Xisco should be playing regularly in the reserves.

This is what I simply can't understand. Surely if you're rusty, getting back to full fitness or still adapting to english football; this is the perfect to get back into the team.

Is it me or does this not make perfect sense. As far as I'm aware hes not played any reserve games?

:undecided:

He's a great header of the ball and got a fair few goals like this in La Liga. He was also good at holding up the ball. A good targetman striker really.

Was Lafita basing that on one season though? If you read Xisco's stats he only really had season 2007-08 in La Liga A (which looked like a good season for him). Most of his other goals and appearances were in La Liga B.

Yeah.. it's the only time them two have played together and as I recall it was about 15-20 games together they played.

Guest Heneage

Yeah.. it's the only time them two have played together and as I recall it was about 15-20 games together they played.

Ok fair point but I still feel what it takes to be dominant in the air is different in England compared to La Liga.

from the limited viewings i've had of both players, xisco is definitly worth a go infront of carroll

I have that feeling as well. Carroll doesn't look like a goal scorer, I think Joe likes him because he's big and strong. Xisco looks less physical but he looks like he might have more quality around the penalty area. Hard to tell from a couple of brief outings, but I'd like to see him in a decent side before i write him off.

not just the goals but all round play

Guest BooBoo

He's not being not picked out of spite. He's clearly useless in training.

Lets just get some money back on the kid and focus on players who can cut it.

Agreed. He's no Viduka but he looks a bit more polished than Carroll. I wouldn't have even minded seeing him alongside Carroll for the last 10 mins with the wingers firing a few crosses in.

Guest BooBoo

Agreed. He's no Viduka but he looks a bit more polished than Carroll. I wouldn't have even minded seeing him alongside Carroll for the last 10 mins with the wingers firing a few crosses in.

Comparing Xisco with Carroll is like comparing a Lada with a Reliant Kitten.