Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Phil K

On Sky this morn.

Considering West ham are wanting a whole lot more for 2 of their players, what do you think about this ?

That said, I doubt West ham are going to get close to what they want for ANY of their players

History has shown that it's highly unlikely we'll get many in in January, regardless of year, owner or current manager.  So regardless of funds incoming, it would be pointless to sell him now because of the astronomically high unlikelihood of someone being available and willing to sign in the positions we need to fill. 

I would only be slightly uncomfortable at Seamus leaving for a sum of close to £10m if I had any faith or reasonable expectation in either Joes abilities in the transfer market or the availability of players.

Tell him to wait until summer, if he truly wants to go. 

Guest Phil K

Ive said before and say again, I blame Shay not one jot.

He, like us, expected a thousand times more from the club than he (or we) got.

I think he would expect a good reception when he came back.

By the way, Thomas - on Radio Talk Spurt this morning Alan "Scouse Big Mouth" Parry and Alan "Drunkie" Brazil were on about Aiden McGeachy (I think) and Barry Ferguson of Rangers will be signing in the next couple of days. Neither being very positive about the potential moves for either player. (Brazil's a Celtic fan after all - while Parry is a scouse ars*h*le.

Aiden McGeady is pretty highly rated, wouldn't mind seeing him here.  Freely admit I've not seen any of him myself, just going on the general consensus of others.

Wouldn't want to lose Given to man city to raise the cash to buy him though. 

Like you said I don't blame Given either but I can't see him being moved this window without it being an incredible deal.

Aiden McGeady is pretty highly rated, wouldn't mind seeing him here.  Freely admit I've not seen any of him myself, just going on the general consensus of others.

Like you said I don't blame Given either but I can't see him being moved this window without it being an incredible deal.

I have only seen him play about 6-7 times and he has been awful every time.

I have only seen him play about 6-7 times and he has been awful every time.

I'd disagree with that. I've seen him play on a number of occasions and he always looks to be one of the best players on the pitch. Would be happy with him signing, although I'm not entirely sure why we'd need him unless Zog or Duff is leaving.

Maybe this was the deal JFK was talking about

Zoggy to leave and McGeady to come in.

Guest Phil K

If Man City are willing to pay a reported £12m for Scott Parker, Given is worth upwards of £20m.

Agree with that.

with WHU though - they think what a players actually worth, then double it, then double it again....

since ashley took over he's sold dyer for what, 8m?  milner for 12m....anyone seriously think he'd let given go for 8m to the richest club on the planet

lock thread

What the hell for ?

If Man City are willing to pay a reported £12m for Scott Parker, Given is worth upwards of £20m.

Agree with that.

with WHU though - they think what a players actually worth, then double it, then double it again....

since ashley took over he's sold dyer for what, 8m?  milner for 12m....anyone seriously think he'd let given go for 8m to the richest club on the planet

lock thread

What the hell for ?

I guess the implication is that he's not going to sell, or allow to be sold, players at cut rate, despite the numerous claims on here (not by you mind) that he's an asset stripper and prepared to offload at massive losses. 

edit: that 3rd gers player linked/rumoured is Allan McGregor, goalkeeper.  Aiden McGeady is the celtic winger. 

Agree with that.

lock thread

What the hell for ?

shits and giggles

Guest Phil K

Agree with that.

lock thread

What the hell for ?

shits and giggles

Easily amused with diahorreah ?

Guest shearer_206

On Sky this morn.

Considering West ham are wanting a whole lot more for 2 of their players, what do you think about this ?

That said, I doubt West ham are going to get close to what they want for ANY of their players

Can't see Shay leaving for Citeh or anyone else outside the top 4. I think his lawyer released the statement to try and flush out interest from Arsenal, but Wenger has said he is happy with Almunia. Therefore I think he will stay, at least until the end of the season anyway.

Agree with that.

lock thread

What the hell for ?

shits and giggles

Easily amused with diahorreah ?

well, we can't all be oscar wilde i guess

Guest Stephen927

Aside from the obvious players like Smith and Cacapa, we shouldn't really be looking to sell in this window. Sadly thats a viewpoint most clubs take, unless they're in financial trouble.

Man City paid £10m for Wayne Bridge. He's a left-back who has hardly got a game for the last few years. They also bought him off Chelsea who are still probably the 2nd richest club in the world.  If Chelsea managed to extract £10m from Man City for Bridge who was a fringe player for them then we should be able to get a lot more for Given. How on Earth Given can only be worth £8m compared to Bridge's £10m I'll never know.

They can shove it up thier bums!

They are in a precarious position (especially after the weekend's result against Forest) and we should be trying to push them as high as they will go, and if that's not around £15m tell them to piss off - if they rate Parker at a reported £12m then Given is worth more than that surely.

Mind, that's if Given really does want to go.

Guest toonlass

Not being funny, but why would Given go to Citeh this season? They are out of the cups, are not going to make Europe, are in the same relegation battle as we are, and if Shay wants to improve his career he won't be doing it much good by going to Citeh, if Scott Parker and Wayne Bridge bought at highly inflated prices are their big buys.