Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/transfertalk,0,ashley-in-talks-over-shay-given-sale,72579

Ashley in talks over Shay Given sale

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has told wantaway keeper Shay Given that he cannot leave the club unless Manchester City significantly up their latest bid of £5m.

Ashley attended a Magpies training session this week in order to cast an eye over the squad and talk to manager Joe Kinnear about potential transfers - and the unpopular owner may attend his first Newcastle game since the trip to Arsenal in August at Manchester City on January 28.

Newcastle have slapped a £14m price tag on Given, but would accept an offer in the region of £10m for the 32-year-old. City, hopwever, wary of being fleeced on accountm of their newfound wealth, are not prepared to pay more than £7m, despite forking out £26m on Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy.

Given's departure appears to have been hastened by the news that his understudy Steve Harper signed a three-year extension to his contract, which was due to expire in June.

Meanwhile the Magpies have stepped up their pursuit of Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo, who could sign today for £3.5m. A request to take Steve McManus on loan from Celtic has been rebuffed.

Guest justin99.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/transfertalk,0,ashley-in-talks-over-shay-given-sale,72579

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has told wantaway keeper Shay Given that he cannot leave the club unless Manchester City significantly up their latest bid of £5m.

Ashley attended a Magpies training session this week in order to cast an eye over the squad and talk to manager Joe Kinnear about potential transfers - and the unpopular owner may attend his first Newcastle game since the trip to Arsenal in August at Manchester City on January 28.

Newcastle have slapped a £14m price tag on Given, but would accept an offer in the region of £10m for the 32-year-old. City, hopwever, wary of being fleeced on accountm of their newfound wealth, are not prepared to pay more than £7m, despite forking out £26m on Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy.

Given's departure appears to have been hastened by the news that his understudy Steve Harper signed a three-year extension to his contract, which was due to expire in June.

Meanwhile the Magpies have stepped up their pursuit of Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo, who could sign today for £3.5m. A request to take Steve McManus on loan from Celtic has been rebuffed.

what a load of rubbish.

I really hate football journalists.

Its a disgrace, means Shay won't play tonight all this takes away from the lads thinking about the game, no deals should be even tnhought about on a match day.

Agreed, though that may be a luxury we can't afford at the moment with time running out.

Given's future 'out of my hands' - Joe

Published Date: 28 January 2009

JOE Kinnear says Shay Given's Newcastle United future is now "out of his hands".

And the United boss is all but resigned to losing the goalkeeper to tonight's opponents Manchester City before the end of the transfer window.

Kinnear will make an 11th hour decision on who will be between the posts at the City of Manchester Stadium, with Steve Harper – who yesterday signed a new three-year contract at St James's Park – in contention for his first start of the campaign.

The assumption is that Harper signed his new deal on the understanding Given would leave, making him the club's first-choice goalkeeper after a frustrating decade largely spent on the bench.

While Kinnear – who has already rejected two City bids for the 32-year-old – insists nothing is cut and dried, he insists he can do no more to persuade Given his future remains at Newcastle after more than 11 years at the club.

"I've bent over backwards to keep Shay, and I've told the powers-that-be he's got to stay," said Kinnear.

"I understand it from Shay's point of view. Shay wants to leave, but I have tried my hardest to make him stay.

"He's done 11 years here at Newcastle, and I think he wants a new challenge.

"I left Shay with Mike Ashley, Derek Llambias and Michael Kennedy and the talks went on for a few hours.

"It's out of my hands, and I'm still waiting for the final outcome, but I think that he wants a new challenge and that he wants to speak to Manchester City.

"I'd be heartbroken to see him go, because he's one of the best keepers in the world, but Man City keep banging on the door to talk to him."

Kinnear, meanwhile, is still hopeful of landing Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo, with talks "ongoing" over his proposed £2.5m switch.

He said: "We're likely to be without Habib Beye for 10 games, and that's 30 points to play for.

"We need more than cover, we need to build up the squad. I'm hopeful that Albin will join us, and we're just waiting for the handshake on that deal. It's very much an ongoing thing."

£18 million for a average midfielder who would be available for £2.5 million in the summer.  £14 million for a 29 year old who has only been able to play 20 games n the last two seasons through injury.  £12 million for a reserve left back who's played less then 15 games a season for the last 6 years.. but they're wary of getting fleeced? :idiot2:  What the fuck would they have spent on those players if they weren't wary?..

You know this is fucking idiotic, one of if not the best keeper in the league and they're trying to low ball us after paying 3 or 4 times over the odds for the rest of the players they've bought so far.  I honestly hope we just tell them to go and fuck themselves.  I actually want the transfer to go through if we get good money because we could spend that extra cash on some much needed players.  But I'm not willing to sell our best player off cheap, even though I believe Harper is an excellent replacement, especially to a club who seem not to care what they spend until it comes to us, what are we fucking mugs?

If I was Shay I'd be quite offended they feel Bridge and Bellamy are better players.

Well they won't. You just generally don't pay as much money for goalkeepers as you do outfield players, it's always been the case.

Guest Heneage

If I was Shay I'd be quite offended they feel Bridge and Bellamy are better players.

Well they won't. You just generally don't pay as much money for goalkeepers as you do outfield players, it's always been the case.

But why? I've never got it, stopping a goal should surely be as important as scoring one, Good goalkeepers aren't in abundance.

what a load of rubbish.

I really hate football journalists.

How is it rubbish?

£18 million for a average midfielder who would be available for £2.5 million in the summer.  £14 million for a 29 year old who has only been able to play 20 games n the last two seasons through injury.  £12 million for a reserve left back who's played less then 15 games a season for the last 6 years.. but they're wary of getting fleeced? :idiot2:  What the fuck would they have spent on those players if they weren't wary?..

You know this is fucking idiotic, one of if not the best keeper in the league and they're trying to low ball us after paying 3 or 4 times over the odds for the rest of the players they've bought so far.  I honestly hope we just tell them to go and fuck themselves.  I actually want the transfer to go through if we get good money because we could spend that extra cash on some much needed players.  But I'm not willing to sell our best player off cheap, even though I believe Harper is an excellent replacement, especially to a club who seem not to care what they spend until it comes to us, what are we fucking mugs?

Good post.

But why? I've never got it, stopping a goal should surely be as important as scoring one, Good goalkeepers aren't in abundance.

If you don't score goals, the most you can get out of a game is 1 point.

If you don't score goals, the most you can get out of a game is 1 point.

And if your keeper doesn't concede, then the least you can get is 1 point.

I'd be gutted if Shay left at any price, the guy is one of the main reasons we aren't playing championship football already. City should be coughing up only slightly less than they'd need to get Cech or Reina.

Shay only played in half the games league last season.  And for some of those he wasn't at his best.  Think we can live without him, but if we were to ever end up pushing for a top 6 place in X amount of years, then we'd need a keeper of his calibre in order to reach it or go beyond it.

I'm pleased Harper is going to get his chance as the number 1.  Would of course perfer Given to stay, but he wants to go and if the bid is £10m then I'd take that now and spend it on a right back and a centre midfielder.  It's those positions which are hurting us most.

Can't believe City think £5m is a good fee.  Dickheads.

I'd be gutted if Shay left at any price, the guy is one of the main reasons we aren't playing championship football already. City should be coughing up only slightly less than they'd need to get Cech or Reina.

Shay only played in half the games league last season.  And for some of those he wasn't at his best.  Think we can live without him, but if we were to ever end up pushing for a top 6 place in X amount of years, then we'd need a keeper of his calibre in order to reach it or go beyond it.

I'm pleased Harper is going to get his chance as the number 1.  Would of course perfer Given to stay, but he wants to go and if the bid is £10m then I'd take that now and spend it on a right back and a centre midfielder.  It's those positions which are hurting us most.

Can't believe City think £5m is a good fee.  Dickheads.

Pretty much sums it up.