Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/19/nufc-preparing-for-life-without-shay-given-72703-22725485/

NUFC preparing for life without Shay Given

Jan 19 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE UNITED are believed to be preparing for life without Shay Given.

The Republic of Ireland keeper is thought to be heartbroken by the turmoil at St James’s Park and has been pushed to the limit after 11 years at St James’s Park.

The player once again looked inconsolable as he left the field on Saturday.

Given, who Joe Kinnear has been fighting to keep since his lawyer Michael Kennedy released a statement over his future, is thought to be torn over waiting to see if the storm will pass or move on to pastures new.

However, Manchester City are now expected to take advantage and up their bid to the £8m that is likely to pave the way for Given’s exit on Tyneside.

Yet the Chronicle understands if Given was sold he would be the only departure from United during the transfer window.

United are also in negotiations to retain the services of Steve Harper with a new contract while Dutch youngster Tim Krul is due to be recalled from his loan stint at Carlisle United in order to cover the Easington-born stopper in the event of Given leaving.

Kinnear, though, has vowed to keep on fighting.

But significantly he did tell the Chronicle: “I didn’t expect to have so many players injured.

“And I didn’t expect to be fighting off so many other clubs to keep our players.

“I don’t want to say more than that on the subject but these are difficult times.”

And speaking on the current state of the rest of his paper thin squad, he added: “I will continue to do the best I possibly can for the club.

“I didn’t expect to have so many players injured.

“The only way they are going to get better is when everybody is fully fit. I said from day one the squad is thin.

“Whatever happens, if we don’t get stronger – it will be tight.

“But we are pulling in the right direction.”

However, Kinnear hinted there could be an exodus of stars in the summer.

He said: “Providing we stay up things will have to be done. We’ll have to sit down and talk.”

Selling Given may not be a popular move but it might be an option we have to consider if it's the only way to release funds. It's similar to the N'Zogbia situation in that it's a position that we can cover and the player wants away. If it means we can strengthen in positions where we are weak then it makes sense IF the money is re-invested.

9 million + Johnson and i would take it, the 9 million we could spend on a left-back and back-up right back. Johnson with Barton centrally would be good too, and we have Harper as back up!

Johnson is injured again though and for a young lad he seems to have a lot injuries some of them have been quite serious as well.  Good player but no good to us if's on the table for the next 2 months

9 million + Johnson and i would take it, the 9 million we could spend on a left-back and back-up right back. Johnson with Barton centrally would be good too, and we have Harper as back up!

I'd ask for Garrido who would add some real fight for Enrique over the LB spot. Onuoha, a long term replacement for Beye, full of pace & Sturridge, who for some reason i get the feeling will be an England player in the next few years.

Guest johnson293

You just know this will all happen on the last day of the window though - no time left to spend the money/neeone will join us, and we'll end up with Stephen Carr and Ollie Bernard again!!!!  :frantic:

I'd ask for Garrido who would add some real fight for Enrique over the LB spot. Onuoha, a long term replacement for Beye, full of pace & Sturridge, who for some reason i get the feeling will be an England player in the next few years.

City won't let Sturridge go anywhere.

Prefer Ball to Garrido although both are poor.

Selling Given may not be a popular move but it might be an option we have to consider if it's the only way to release funds. It's similar to the N'Zogbia situation in that it's a position that we can cover and the player wants away. If it means we can strengthen in positions where we are weak then it makes sense IF the money is re-invested.

Problem is who the fuck would want to come to us :-[

Problem is who the fuck would want to come to us :-[

Too many players to list.  In case you haven't noticed we're still a Premiership club with a bigger reputation then plenty of other teams in the league.  Most players won't have a clue of the state Ashley's got this club in.

Guest Sniffer

I wouldn't trust kinnear to spend the money we got from selling Given. IMO, we'd wind up with deadwood on the payroll that the next manager will not be able to move on.

£8m isnt enough for me, Given has proven himself to be one of the best keepers in the Premiership, if not world. If Bellamy is going for £14m, then i want similar amounts for Given.

:clap: My thoughts exactly, Given is worth more points to us in a season then our combined frontline, £14 million is fair considering what sunderland paid celtic for gordon, either way I wouldnt sell until the summer

Are Johnson and Onuoha any good though? I haven't seen enough of them to know. Cash + both = meh?!?!?!

I wuld gladly take them both, IMO Johnson would walk into out XI, was different class last season plus he has the potential. Onuoha probably wouldn't if Beye was fit, but would be a more than usefull back up at RB & CB. Depth is just what we need right now.