Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Are Johnson and Onuoha any good though? I haven't seen enough of them to know. Cash + both = meh?!?!?!

I wuld gladly take them both, IMO Johnson would walk into out XI, was different class last season plus he has the potential. Onuoha probably wouldn't if Beye was fit, but would be a more than usefull back up at RB & CB. Depth is just what we need right now.

Johnson and Elano or Johnson and Onuoha?

Uhm, no thanks... anything below £20 mill is  :thdn:

Given is the only player that preform consistently. A world class keeper is a must fighting relegation. May we interest you in smith, ameobi, viduka,butt or duff?

We've probably gone and sold him for 8m or some other price that represents peanuts compared to what he's worth.

Because the rule at the club these days seems to be that everything has to be run in the worst way possible.

Fucking hell I'm going to be beside myself is news breaks that we've sold him for some pathetic fee. Just thinking about it makes me feel like I want to throw up.

He's the absolute last thing I can be proud about in my club.

To be fair the one thing this club does fairly well is get a good price for players.

I would definitely look at some kind of swap deal because 1) I doubt all the money would be spend and would be spent during this window 2) I am worried about Kinnears choices in players 3) We would either get some players coming here or if they said no we would just keep Given.

Given is worth far more to us than a few man city kids. For me his ability represents about 15-20 million taking into account the current prices for players.

No one is going to pay £15m for a 33 year old keeper who usually isn't even noticed when he's gone.

not as good as everyone goes on about. Great shot stopper, crap at commanding his box and can't kick for shit. His decisions are awful a lot of the time.

And to be honest for 8-12 mil I would take it and invest in more worrying areas of our squad like our awful midfield and forwards

Given is worth far more to us than a few man city kids. For me his ability represents about 15-20 million taking into account the current prices for players.

No one is going to pay £15m for a 33 year old keeper who usually isn't even noticed when he's gone.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? :lol:  By the way, 33 for a keeper is like 28 for an outfield player.  Any club who's willing to pay £14 million for a nearly 30 year old Craig Bellamy (who could barely play 20 games a season at 24) should have no problem paying £15 million+ for a nearly 33 year old Given.  Selling him for £8 million is a joke.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? :lol:  By the way, 33 for a keeper is like 28 for an outfield player.  Any club who's willing to pay £14 million for a 29 year old Craig Bellamy (who could barely play 20 games a season at 24) should have no problem paying £15 million+ for Given.  Selling him for £8 million is a joke.

Well if someone agrees to pay £15m I'll agree you're right. Otherwise you'll have to agree I am think.

Just got a text from a mate that lives in Manchester. Apparently there's a buzz about the place that the deal is done and dusted and could be announced tomorrow. I sent a text back asking about a fee etc. and apparently it's a cash deal that's been talked about. Nobody coming this way.

Could be something, could be nothing. No reason to doubt the fella, like.

While I'm perfectly confident in Harper, Krul, Soderberg and Forster being left with the goalkeeping duties, it's the symbolism of the deal more than anything that is hard to take. Can't blame Shay for leaving if the rumours are true and I suppose all you can do is hope all of the money is reinvested on some quality outfield players.