Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Thing is, if we wanted the money and to keep Given, the club could have easily made £3-4m from Krul and Harper imo.

Ultimately, I think the decision was made to sacrifice Given as he was becoming a negative influence at the club, and the board want Krul and Soderberg to make it, and Given was always going to be in the way of that.

In other words, we were desperate to get rid imo.

Aye. I'm personally happy with Harper, Krul, Forster as our first-team pool but would have been happier still with Given, Krul, Forster.

No use crying over spilt milk though, as they say.

I agree with you and James completely. I think tbh it's not the fact we are well stocked in the goalkeeping department, it's just the imagine that it sends out that after everything it's now that Shay wants to go. And he was part of the fabric of the club. That's the hard thing to take.

Aye. I'm personally happy with Harper, Krul, Forster as our first-team pool but would have been happier still with Given, Krul, Forster.

I agree with you and James completely. I think tbh it's not the fact we are well stocked in the goalkeeping department, it's just the imagine that it sends out that after everything it's now that Shay wants to go. And he was part of the fabric of the club. That's the hard thing to take.

I agree with you're latter points, most definitely. We pick ourselves up and move on and just hope that Harper is big enough to make it so that Given isn't missed and that later the young 'keepers fulfil their potential here.

The best case scenario is Harper playing out of his skin enough so that people say "it was probably right to sell Shay" or "we don't miss him". He could do with dropping a bit of weight first like, and improving his kicking!

£5.9M does appear a paltry sum though, even taking all the mitigating circumstances into account.

I agree with you're latter points, most definitely. We pick ourselves up and move on and just hope that Harper is big enough to make it so that Given isn't missed and that later the young 'keepers fulfil their potential here.

The best case scenario is Harper playing out of his skin enough so that people say "it was probably right to sell Shay" or "we don't miss him". He could do with dropping a bit of weight first like, and improving his kicking!

£5.9M does appear a paltry sum though, even taking all the mitigating circumstances into account.

I hate it when he kicks it long and then spends about 10 seconds holding his gut like someone has just cracked him one. :lol:

I hate how long he takes over goal-kicks and just the general lethargic way he moves anyway. Definitely looks porky to me, but then he has sat on a bench for about 10 years. Still think he's good enough to be our number 1 though.

am i a bad person because i cheered on copenhagen the other night, purely for given???? i thought i'd be alright with him leaving, but apparantly not....the way he left really does leave a sour taste. loyal for 12 years, but i hope he fails miserably there. its man city ffs.

am i a bad person because i cheered on copenhagen the other night, purely for given???? i thought i'd be alright with him leaving, but apparantly not....the way he left really does leave a sour taste. loyal for 12 years, but i hope he fails miserably there. its man city ffs.

absolutely

Guest johnson293

Absolutely - especially when it appears we couldn't even get Man City to pay us for him until the summer??!!!

I just hope the deal had future add-on clauses, incase Man City do indeed win something while he's there!!

Guest Heneage

He was only part of the fabric though as he'd been here along time. Given getting a transfer never came to fruition until City. For years we sat and read reports about Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, name as many big clubs as you want ending Given's nightmare on Tyneside, prices ranging from £4-8m, but never was a bid made, it was similar with Dyer when he had good form, talking of transfers upwards to Man Utd etc, its often paper talk to fill Sunday rags.

He's gone now, so whatever. Just get over it.

A bit simplistic don't you think? It's not as him being gone or the circumstances surrounding his departure could have no ramifications on our future..

I don't think it's simplistic, more jaded. No amount of moaning, sulking and getting pissed off will make any difference. I've started to think that I read this board and support the team more out of habit than anything at the moment as the last several seasons have just battered the emotion that I have for the game out of me.

Shay has gone, the board seemingly want to back Kinnear and there's fuck all ambition being shown. I've got enough going on to burst a blood vessel over this tripe being dished up to me week in week out.

If I could I'd probably walk away for good but as I'm sure it is with you too you just can't. Doesn't mean that I feel the same amount of love and passion I used to. Supporting this club at the moment is like seeing the first girl I ever truly love become a crack whore.

Guest Stephen927

Was hoping Copenhagen knocked City out the other night but never mind because as it stands it's looking unlikely that they'll be in any European competition next season unless they win it.

The atmosphere in our camp seems much better now the moany-faced get has buggered off. Hope he enjoyed losing to Stoke last week.

What a load of crap. How do you know it wasn't about N'Zogbia, then? Or the WBA win? (Not that I neccesserily agree about the "much bettter" atmosphere comment)

He was only part of the fabric though as he'd been here along time. Given getting a transfer never came to fruition until City. For years we sat and read reports about Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, name as many big clubs as you want ending Given's nightmare on Tyneside, prices ranging from £4-8m, but never was a bid made, it was similar with Dyer when he had good form, talking of transfers upwards to Man Utd etc, its often paper talk to fill Sunday rags.

Really?  :kinnear: