What are we supposed to do with the youth of today?

Decky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106890/Woman-repeatedly-slashed-confronting-gang-young-13-stabbed-dog-death.html

Fucking disgusting :rant: This shit is happening more and more often and its getting worse. What state will the country be in in 10 years when these scumbags are adults having kids of their own, and a new generation of teenagers are roaming the streets?

Guest Howaythetoon

Giving them back their childhood would be a good start. Then force parents to take more responsibility for their children and to take more interest in their welfare, education and upbringing in general which seems to have been left to the TV, video games, DVDs, Facebook/Myspace, Youtube, Wikipedia and other forms of babysitting.

Kids can't even be kids at school these days. My youngest nephew wasn't even allowed to play football at his old school in case he hurt himself on the concrete "play area" while the "garden" that no-one was allowed near in case they ruined it was also out of bounds.

When kids come home today from school they go straight to their rooms to play on their video games, listen to their music, check Myspace or watch some telly or get changed and head out where there is f*** all to do for them and when kids are bored they get up to no good and when bored kids meet other bored kids... they stab each other. For a laugh.

Parents either due to a long day at work or due to drinking and jacking up are happy for their kids to disappear to their rooms or out into the increasingly adult world, just to get some peace.

If your kid wants to play football these days he has few opportunities so will end up joining a youth team which is dominated by adults and based on adult rules. He can't go to the park because its a block of flats, he can't have a game of gates because of all those cars and if a street warden does catch him kicking a ball about in a no ball zone, he'll get 10 years at least. He can't even call on his mates because they are plugged into some virtual world while Scooter blasted through 100 quid earphones bought off e-bay kill the remaining few brain cells.

Brain cells that may one day have prevented that kid from mugging some old lady or sticking a needle in his arm.

Giving them back their childhood would be a good start. Then force parents to take more responsibility for their children and to take more interest in their welfare, education and upbringing in general which seems to have been left to the TV, video games, DVDs, Facebook/Myspace, Youtube, Wikipedia and other forms of babysitting.

Kids can't even be kids at school these days. My youngest nephew wasn't even allowed to play football at his old school in case he hurt himself on the concrete "play area" while the "garden" that no-one was allowed near in case they ruined it was also out of bounds.

When kids come home today from school they go straight to their rooms to play on their video games, listen to their music, check Myspace or watch some telly or get changed and head out where there is f*** all to do for them and when kids are bored they get up to no good and when bored kids meet other bored kids... they stab each other. For a laugh.

Parents either due to a long day at work or due to drinking and jacking up are happy for their kids to disappear to their rooms or out into the increasingly adult world, just to get some peace.

If your kid wants to play football these days he has few opportunities so will end up joining a youth team which is dominated by adults and based on adult rules. He can't go to the park because its a block of flats, he can't have a game of gates because of all those cars and if a street warden does catch him kicking a ball about in a no ball zone, he'll get 10 years at least. He can't even call on his mates because they are plugged into some virtual world while Scooter blasted through 100 quid earphones bought off e-bay kill the remaining few brain cells.

Brain cells that may one day have prevented that kid from mugging some old lady or sticking a needle in his arm.

This. :clap:

This.

Give them a chance, don't demonise them, then we're on the right track.

Also, people have been moaning about 'the youth of today' for 100s of years, probably longer.

Was gonna say the same after reading:

This shit is happening more and more often and its getting worse.

I dispute that assumption tbh. When this kind of story no longer shocks us, that's when it's a problem.

The bit about childhood is interesting. A lot of kids seem too desperate to grow up, instead of enjoying their childhood. Whatever that means nowadays.

I blame the Internet to be honest. Information about everything is easily accessible and so on. You'd probably see a big difference in kids pre-Internet in regards to wanting to be an adult compared to since Internet was introduced.

you bastard htt. you've been in my mind nicking all my ideas on this haven't you ?.

i was peddling this stuff back on .nu when you were still into hang'em and flog'em.

The bit about childhood is interesting. A lot of kids seem too desperate to grow up, instead of enjoying their childhood. Whatever that means nowadays.

I blame the Internet to be honest. Information about everything is easily accessible and so on. You'd probably see a big difference in kids pre-Internet in regards to wanting to be an adult compared to since Internet was introduced.

Not sure, even back in the day kids would pretend to be adults... playing with tools and prams and stuff. I suppose the difference is that now the role models are different, due to all sorts of factors.

The perceived lack of a 'childhood' as a modern phenomenon might just be another one of those constant complaints. I mean, my Mam started work at 14 and her granddad was down the mine even younger than that. In some ways children are more free to be children than even 100 years ago.

Hmm... 

I think you're right. But I'm 22 and I thoroughly enjoyed my childhood. And almost anyone I know my age did. So I'm probably lucky not to be born 10 years later. But of course it's all about the environment you grow up in.

I think you're right. But I'm 22 and I thoroughly enjoyed my childhood. And almost anyone I know my age did. So I'm probably lucky not to be born 10 years later. But of course it's all about the environment you grow up in.

I'm the same, but I think if I'd been born 10 years later I would still have had a great time. It's all about your surroundings and your upbringing...