We could do a lot worse than...

Dave

Darren Bent.

Started the season scoring lots of goals and still doesn't seem to be a permanent fixture in Spurs' starting lineup. I know he's injured at the moment, but he finds himself behind the new guy (Pavlyuchenko) and now the new new guy (Defoe), and must surely be wondering if he's at the right club.

Lots of pace, decent in the air and a ready made replacement for Owen if when he leaves in terms of being the right age and a reasonably prolific goalscorer. With Viduka, Xisco and potentially Smith also leaving in the summer we'll be very short on numbers, leaving just Martins as a recognised starter. We will therefore be in a position to offer him a starting place.

The obvious questions are whether he'd consider leaving Spurs and how much they'd want for him given the astronomical fee they paid just 18 months ago.

Thoughts?

was just thinking this myself earlier, quick, strong, ok touch, adequate link up play, frequent scorer. he's like a pacy alan smith who also happens to be a goal threat (ok, so not like smith at all  :doh:). Get in Bent and a more creative striker in the summer and we'll have 3 good strikers who can all play alongside each other based on who is fit and in form.

Spurs won't sell. Redknapp said he wants at least 4 strikers, they'll send Campbell back if anyone leaves i would think.

Man Utd found out today that keeping three first choice strikers happy isn't easy (Tevez saying that he may look elsewhere), so I think Redknapp's being very optimistic if he thinks a £17m player like Bent will be content to just be part of a rotation.

He's a confidence striker which means his form can be patchy, but as a striker he'd give us options we don't currently have. A pacy target man allows you to play with one striker if the need calls for it.

Would love it if any money that was available was used to bolster the center of midfield.

Oh of course in theory I'd love to see us spend the kind of money we'd need to get Bent(!) on a proper midfielder right now. But that still wouldn't address the issue of our striking options once the season is out. In fact considering the performances of Viduka this year, the fitness problems Oba has and the continuing absense of Xisco, we're left with Michael 'I'm still made of glass y'know' Owen as our only option. I wouldn't complain if we spent big on Bent, that's what I'm saying. It kills a couple of birds with one stone.

In the position we're in, we need exactly the type of player that Darren Bent is... physically strong, fast but lacking the world class ability that would make him too expensive for us!

Similar to the type of side that Pompey were building I suppose, or other teams who have overtaken us in recent seasons.

Yeah he would be good buy, price tag might be more than what we are prepared to pay.  We may be able to fill two other positions that we desperately need filling with the price tag of Bent.  We do need a striker like him.  He is quick, gets in good positions and I don't believe he is too injury prone.