Laptop Goosed - Help.

Crumpy Gunt

Not mine thankfully but was at my mates tonight and his young uns laptop is totally clogged up.

Now, I'm no expert but could detect a distinct lack of any anti-virus etc.

So, came on to this help page and opened the sticky at the top and thought I'd at least get the free AVG and malwarebytes loaded up to attempt a clean up but it wouldn't open any of the links I clicked on.  Opens web pages ok-ish but not allow me to install anything.

So, should I put above mentioned folders off my computer onto a disc and manually install / run or is there anything else can be done short of a complete reinstall?

Guest Jawesome

If he / she uses it for fuck all, other than web browsing / word processing, it's probably nothing a format wouldn't fix.  Backup word documents and what not onto an external hdd / memory stick first though.  Don't send it to a PC shop, whatever you do.

What is the process for formatting?

Will I need an XP disc?

Yeah, but it doesn't need to be the one that came with the laptop, only the same version (you can use the CD key on the label on the laptop to install it). Stick it in (you might need to choose in the BIOS somewhere to boot from the CD drive instead of the hard disk) and choose to install, making sure to use the option to format the target hard disk.