Mike Ashley - 14th Richest Football Club Owner in Britain

LooneyToonArmy

pauper tbh

Damien Duff 14th richest player

----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7813483.stm

Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has toppled Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich from the top of British football's rich list.

The Sheikh, 38, estimated to be worth £15bn, took over at City in September, while Abramovich has dropped to £7bn.

Abramovich, 42, is third on the list - published by FourFour Two magazine - behind Lakshmi Mittal (£12.5bn), who bought a 20% stake in QPR in 2007.

David Beckham's lucrative deals have kept him on top of the players' list.

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder, who is currently on loan at AC Milan during the Major League Soccer close season, has a personal fortune believed to be worth a massive £85m more than Michael Owen, who is second on the players' list with £40m.

Abramovich has reportedly lost over £3bn during the economic downturn but England manager Fabio Capello, 62, is a new entry and, with the Italian on a £6m-a-year contract and with a £10m art collection, is thought to be worth £25m.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson appears in the list at number 78 on £22m, while Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ranked 92nd, with a fortune of £14m.

The top 20 from the top 100 in the FourFour Two football rich list are:

1. Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nayan - Manchester City - £15bn

2. Lakshmi Mittal and family - QPR - £12.5bn.

3. Roman Abramovich - Chelsea - £7bn

4.Joe Lewis - Tottenham Hotspur - £2.5bn

5. Bernie and Slavica Ecclestone - QPR - £2.4bn

6. Stanley Kroenke - Arsenal - £2.245bn

7. Alisher Usmanov - Arsenal - £1.5bn

8 = Lord Grantchester & The Moores Family - Everton - £1.2bn

8 = Dermot Desmond - Celtic - £1.2bn

10= Lord Ashcroft - Watford - £1.1bn

10= Malcolm Glazer and family - £1.1bn

12. Simon Keswick - Cheltenham Town - £966m

13. Trevor Hemmings - Preston North End - £900m

14. Mike Ashley - Newcastle United - £800m

15. Randy Lerner - Aston Villa - £750m

16. Tom Hicks - Liverpool - £700m

17. The Walker Family - Blackburn Rovers - £660m

18. Mohammed Al Fayed - Fulham - £650m

19. Sir David Murray - Glasgow Rangers - £600m

20. Steve Morgan - Wolverhampton Wanderers - £400m

The top 20 players in the rich list are: (overall position in the main list show in brackets)

1. David Beckham - £125m (38)

2. Michael Owen - £40m (56=)

3. Wayne Rooney - £35m (61)

4= Rio Ferdinand - £28m (69=)

4= Robbie Fowler - £28m (69=)

4= Sol Campbell - £28m (69=)

7. Ryan Giggs - £23m (77)

8= Michael Ballack - £20m (80=)

8= Frank Lampard - £20m (80=)

10.Steven Gerrard - £19m (86)

11. Cristiano Ronaldo - £18m (87)

12. John Terry - £17m (88)

13. Didier Drogba - £15m (89)

14= Nicolas Anelka - £14m (92=)

14= Damien Duff - £14m (92=)

16= Dimitar Berbatov £13m (96=)

16= Ashley and Cheryl Cole - £13m (96=)

16= Fernando Torres - £13m (96=)

19 = Emile Heskey - £12m ( 100)

20. Gary Neville - £11.75m (101)

Guest sicko2ndbest

Big Mikes lost 1.1billion since he took us over

Dosnt bode well

BTW The title is misleading - He is the 14th richest Football club owner in the UK

Speaking of 442, maybe this should go in its own thread, but they released an interesting little article yesterday.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/23106/default.aspx

Half of Premier League clubs are "insolvent"

An online credit information provider has claimed that half of Premier League clubs are technically insolvent.

In a review of credit ratings for the top flight, Equifax declared that 10 clubs would struggle to repay their debts if they were asked.

“We have listed 10 clubs as insolvent because they would struggle if everyone came at once to ask them for the money they owe," explained Equifax's external affairs director Neil Munroe. 

Click to read the rest, but the interesting part is at the bottom:

The Equifax Table

98 Arsenal

93 Man United

71 West Brom

65 Tottenham

43 Blackburn

40 Manchester City

37 Sunderland

37 West Ham

26 Liverpool

--------- CLUBS BELOW THIS LINE TECHNICALLY INSOLVENT

18 Everton

17 Stoke City

10 Chelsea

7 Middlesbrough

5 Newcastle

5 Bolton

2 Aston Villa

2 Wigan

2 Fulham

1 Hull

0 Portsmouth*

* No accounts filed for Portsmouth at Companies House

I have to wonder if this was compiled pre or post buyout or what and on what years figures.  I mean it's a bit alarmist just to throw something out there like that and say "look, we're Equifax, we know credit.  We don't have to divulge our methods."

Guest teepee

I thought we didn't owe anything to anyone  :no:

me too, i think this "article" is jumping to conclusions.

regarding ashleys wealth, it doesnt really matter how much he has, if all his other businesses requires a lot of cash as well. that citee bloke has so much that it doesnt matter at all... ashley don't

Dosnt bode well

BTW The title is misleading - He is the 14th richest Football club owner in the UK

Some of the guys on that list don't own the club and are just shareholders. I can't be bothered to work it out exactly but he's probably in the top 10 or maybe even 5 if you only include the outright owners/majority shareholders

Speaking of 442, maybe this should go in its own thread, but they released an interesting little article yesterday.

An online credit information provider has claimed that half of Premier League clubs are technically insolvent.

In a review of credit ratings for the top flight, Equifax declared that 10 clubs would struggle to repay their debts if they were asked.

“We have listed 10 clubs as insolvent because they would struggle if everyone came at once to ask them for the money they owe," explained Equifax's external affairs director Neil Munroe. 

The Equifax Table

98 Arsenal

93 Man United

71 West Brom

65 Tottenham

43 Blackburn

40 Manchester City

37 Sunderland

37 West Ham

26 Liverpool

18 Everton

17 Stoke City

10 Chelsea

7 Middlesbrough

5 Newcastle

5 Bolton

2 Aston Villa

2 Wigan

2 Fulham

1 Hull

0 Portsmouth*

I have to wonder if this was compiled pre or post buyout or what and on what years figures.  I mean it's a bit alarmist just to throw something out there like that and say "look, we're Equifax, we know credit.  We don't have to divulge our methods."

I saw this at the weekend in the paper, they mentioned the figures were taken from 2007.

A pretty twisted set of figures based on some spurious data sources, still it fills a few pages in 442 and in turn saves a few more journalists and TV stations having to work too hard to find any real news.

Who does Cheryl Cole play for ?  Has another talented Geordie slipped through the net ?

Dosnt bode well

Are you surprised ? he lost 100m on that oh-so-clever gamble on Bradford & Bingley...!

The Equifax Table

98 Arsenal

93 Man United

71 West Brom

65 Tottenham

43 Blackburn

40 Manchester City

37 Sunderland

37 West Ham

26 Liverpool

18 Everton

17 Stoke City

10 Chelsea

7 Middlesbrough

5 Newcastle

5 Bolton

2 Aston Villa

2 Wigan

2 Fulham

1 Hull

0 Portsmouth*

The part I've highlighted tells you where they've got their information from, I think I would be right in saying that we haven't published our accounts since the takeover either.

Doesn't paint a pretty picture about the financial state of the club back then but we all knew that.

The Equifax Table

98 Arsenal

93 Man United

71 West Brom

65 Tottenham

43 Blackburn

40 Manchester City

37 Sunderland

37 West Ham

26 Liverpool

18 Everton

17 Stoke City

10 Chelsea

7 Middlesbrough

5 Newcastle

5 Bolton

2 Aston Villa

2 Wigan

2 Fulham

1 Hull

0 Portsmouth*

The part I've highlighted tells you where they've got their information from, I think I would be right in saying that we haven't published our accounts since the takeover either.

Doesn't paint a pretty picture about the financial state of the club back then but we all knew that.

Exactly, that list has nothing to do with Ashley and everything to do with where Shepherd and the Halls had taken the club by spending money we had little prospect of recouping anymore. Especially considering their managerial appointments, we were just looking less and less likely to achieve the success needed. The gamble failed and they (well, at least the Halls) were desperate to bing in new money and move on. Took them an age to find a buyer unsurprisingly but at least they got someone who had the cash to be able to clear the important debts and start afresh.

Now though, the chances that he is the one to put us back on the front foot and start competing near the top again is looking unlikely. He said himself that even as a billionaire on paper he needed outside investment if we were to break back into regular European football. I think the turmoil and unrealistic expectations some have in the current climate have already fatally damaged his enthusiasm for the project, but in the likely event that an insane investment team ala QPR/Man City isn't just around the corner, I hope he can be canny and go back to building us up slowly and keep up the search for local sugardaddies to help out. 

:undecided:

?We have listed 10 clubs as insolvent because they would struggle if everyone came at once to ask them for the money they owe," explained Equifax's external affairs director Neil Munroe. 

The Equifax Table

98 Arsenal

93 Man United

71 West Brom

65 Tottenham

43 Blackburn

40 Manchester City

37 Sunderland

37 West Ham

26 Liverpool

18 Everton

17 Stoke City

10 Chelsea

7 Middlesbrough

5 Newcastle

5 Bolton

2 Aston Villa

2 Wigan

2 Fulham

1 Hull

0 Portsmouth*

Exactly, that list has nothing to do with Ashley and everything to do with where Shepherd and the Halls had taken the club by spending money we had little prospect of recouping anymore. Especially considering their managerial appointments, we were just looking less and less likely to achieve the success needed. The gamble failed and they (well, at least the Halls) were desperate to bing in new money and move on. Took them an age to find a buyer unsurprisingly but at least they got someone who had the cash to be able to clear the important debts and start afresh.

Now though, the chances that he is the one to put us back on the front foot and start competing near the top again is looking unlikely. He said himself that even as a billionaire on paper he needed outside investment if we were to break back into regular European football. I think the turmoil and unrealistic expectations some have in the current climate have already fatally damaged his enthusiasm for the project, but in the likely event that an insane investment team ala QPR/Man City isn't just around the corner, I hope he can be canny and go back to building us up slowly and keep up the search for local sugardaddies to help out. 

:undecided:

Good post.

Perspective:

Ashley's current wealth: £800 million.

The amount that Abramovich has so far pumped into Chelsea in the form of interest-free loans: £650 million.